Top Golf metro rumors

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
I heard a rumor about 3 months ago about top golf looking at a retrofit of Valley West Mall. Didn't know about this Waukee rumor at the time. Honestly I think the Waukee location makes more sense, but I guess Valley West Mall would be more central to the metro. Also not sure of the validity of said rumor in general.

They’ve looked at land off mills civic and also waukee is as much as I know.

SayMyName

Jan 28, 2017
ABQ
This "Top Golf-like" facility recently opened up in Sioux Falls:
https://greatshots.golf/

Wonder if these type of one-offs can make a go of it in markets that are too small for the name-brand and franchised venues. Not sure about operating costs, but the large capital outlay and northern climate have to factor ino that business model.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
https://businessrecord.com/Content/...e-include-enclosed-driving-range/-3/248/89973

The new owner of Copper Creek Golf Course in Pleasant Hill has big plans for the facility, including enclosing the driving range bays and installing tracing technology to allow golfers to see the real-time flight and distance of a ball after it is hit.

Kenneth Hodges, who through Copper Creek Club LLC bought the golf course in March, said he is talking with TopTracer Range about installing its technology at the driving range and enclosing the bays, a move that would allow the range to be operational much of the year. TopTracer Range is owned by Top Golf Entertainment, the popular indoor golf venue.

Top Golf lite

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
I consider it the new bowling where instead of going out with a group to bowl you go to top golf.
not even remotely interested in regular golf at all (mini golf hell yeah though), but I can see this being fun as you have said like an alternative to bowling really

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
TG is going to have to take some chances on growing markets if they want to keep growing.
Is this something that people go to more than 1 time a year. I feel like it is similar to a bowling alley in that regular people go try it out, and differs from a bowling alley in that real golfers go golf at a course.

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
Is this something that people go to more than 1 time a year. I feel like it is similar to a bowling alley in that regular people go try it out, and differs from a bowling alley in that real golfers go golf at a course.
I think it’d be successful here. I would pry go 3-5 times a year with my friends. The ones I have been to always have legit bar/tv/food setups so I think you would get a lot of people to go and chill.
It’s not like there are tons of things to do around here so this would be a good option.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I think it’d be successful here. I would pry go 3-5 times a year with my friends. The ones I have been to always have legit bar/tv/food setups so I think you would get a lot of people to go and chill.
It’s not like there are tons of things to do around here so this would be a good option.

Works for smash park. Sure you can go there and do pickleball or whatever, but many just go hang out and drink.

Joe4Cy

Mar 5, 2010
Urbandale
www.comedyxp.tv
So, SO late to the conversation. Here's what I'm missing: how is TG different from the golf simulators in the mid-late 90s?

Not that it really matters - I'd go for the social aspect and avoid the frustrations of golf....

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
So, SO late to the conversation. Here's what I'm missing: how is TG different from the golf simulators in the mid-late 90s?

Not that it really matters - I'd go for the social aspect and avoid the frustrations of golf....
How do you mean simulators in the 90s? You know those are still pretty popular, right?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

It’s a whole different animal. Both in the activities and the upscale feel of it all.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I would love for Cedar Rapids to have one...
...but city leaders decided to build another Casey's instead.

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I never golf but I've been to the ones in Vegas and KC and they were pretty fun. I could see myself going a couple times per year. On a side note, tired of Waukee getting everything.

Two years later I feel the same.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
TopGolf opened in Omaha (57th largest metropolitan area population in the US) last summer. Des Moines metro is 83rd largest (all numbers from dubious google searches). There are obviously other factors, but it seems like we might still be a few years out from a stand-alone facility. TG licensing to an existing course also might be more in line with the business plan.