U of I approves beer and wine sales at Kinnick, Carver, etc.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
I don't really understand why schools don't sell alcohol. I mean, alcohol is probabyl the reason most people tailgate.

And the "binge drinking" excuse has never held water for me. I mean, a third of the commercials during games are beer commercials. The bookstore sells pint and shot glasses.
You can't really binge drink DURING a game anyway. You'd miss half the game going to the concession stand. People aren't going to buy 7-8 beers during the game. 3-4 tops. That's not enough to get hammered over a 3-4 hour period. At worst, you'd maintain some level of buzz that was developed while tailgating.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Why do you say this? Just curious and full disclosure I'm very indifferent on the subject
I think the concession income would be noticeable and I don’t think you would have worse fan behavior because of it. I think it would also lessen the number of people that go back to the lots at half and stay till close to the 4th quarter.

Reactions: drlove

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I think the concession income would be noticeable and I don’t think you would have worse fan behavior because of it. I think it would also lessen the number of people that go back to the lots at half and stay till close to the 4th quarter.
Pollard has said multiple times we make more money not selling alcohol to the general public than we would if we did.

I agree about the halftime thing

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Pollard has said multiple times we make more money not selling alcohol to the general public than we would if we did.

I agree about the halftime thing
That is true, I have heard him say that. I’m not really sure how that is, but there probably is a reason it is that way.

Reactions: CyTwins

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
That is true, I have heard him say that. I’m not really sure how that is, but there probably is a reason it is that way.

The logic is that we make the money by using it as a perk to sell more premium areas.

Probably more true for the south endzone club than the other premium sections.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
If they are able to support a local brewery I support it. If they put some crap mass quantity beer on tap I am against it. That is probably a heck of a lot of beer though so I am not even sure a smaller brewery can handle it.

Lol this level of beer snobbery is nauseating

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Great! This is just what the world needed; more drunk Iowa fans.

What do you mean more? They act that way even with drinking. Look at the way the Hawks trolls act on here. They don't need the "instant azzhole, just add alcohol" instructions as the are no matter if they drink or not.

Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
The logic is that we make the money by using it as a perk to sell more premium areas.

Probably more true for the south endzone club than the other premium sections.

Couldn’t we do something else to continue differentiating the SEZ? More beer selection with premium beers on tap, full bar, wait service to your seat via an app, better food, etc?

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo

Part of the deal, at UNI at least, is that when they brought beer inside, re-entry went away. I'd imagine you'd see similar at Iowa State.

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
Some of the more astute hok fans are now reading the fine print. They won't be able to tailgate in the hok lots until 6 hours before kickoff. Not real popular with the all-day party crowd. But hey, enjoy that $9 Bud Light.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron