Jamie vs the DMR

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
If he takes out "confirms why I cancelled the register" he makes his point more effectively. It would bring light to positive accomplishments of ISU and UNI athletes that were overlooked without using negativity.
Yeah, I think that's the part that I really thought he could have left out. I also think he could have left the part about Iowa sports right away and only brought it in when someone made the argument that people don't follow ISU softball or track. Because right now it focuses the complaint a little too much on Iowa which I don't think it what he was doing. I don't he had a problem with the register covering Iowa sports; I think the problem is when newspapers cover Iowa sports but don't cover the equivalent Iowa State sports.

And I disagree with the "that's why I cancelled my subscription" language because as the AD there are things that you need to rise above or not tweet. It just comes across as way too petty, and that's just one of the responsibilities of being AD. Just like how as an attorney there are things that I really can't tweet that others could

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
JP's tweet was fine other than the cancelled my subscription part. About once every 6 months I make the mistake of picking up a Sun copy of the Reg. Then I realize what a mistake I've made and how a really good paper no longer exists. Yes even back then the sports coverage was slanted but the rest of the paper was good, now it is nothing but cut and paste USA Today.

Reactions: carvers4math

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Guys, if we just had Barta instead of JP, we'd never have to deal with any bad PR stuff like this. Count me in for a 20% pay cut on my salary to help us afford the switch, since these are such hard times for the AD.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: NWICY

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
That's not the point. It's nice to know we have it even if it's taking money away from the football program. We should add some other sports nobody will care about as well.

I apparently need to work on my sarcasm
Jeesh.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I believe all of these things:
-Pollard is thin skinned, whiny, and excessively defensive on a regular basis. This is one of those times.

-He's the greatest AD in ISU history and there is no reasonable debate on the topic.

-The Register doesn't give ISU appropriate coverage compared to Iowa.

-There was nothing wrong at all with the Register running that story when they did. It's the 20th anniversary and something that they had been working on for awhile.

-The Register is a shell of it's former pre-Gannett self. What print media isn't?

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I believe all of these things:
-Pollard is thin skinned, whiny, and excessively defensive on a regular basis. This is one of those times.

-He's the greatest AD in ISU history and there is no reasonable debate on the topic.

-The Register doesn't give ISU appropriate coverage compared to Iowa.

-There was nothing wrong at all with the Register running that story when they did. It's the 20th anniversary and something that they had been working on for awhile.

-The Register is a shell of it's former pre-Gannett self. What print media isn't?

Listen here pal. I don’t know where you get off being rational and levelheaded, but this is a message board. Hairbrained jumps to conclusions only pls

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
How many of you people who want baseball back at ISU would even attend a game?

I love baseball and I think it would be terrible to bring it back. On the handful of rare games when the weather was absolutely great you might get a few fans, but the times I went it was me and maybe a couple of the players' girlfriends. NOBODY went.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
I don't mind Pollard having an opinion and posting it. It's suprising that people go on message boards and complain about people having an opinion.
THe other thing is this, he is right. The Register sucks. No idea why anyone would still be getting it. The only reason I understand someone get's it is because they are very old and don't like dealing with the internet. Other than that, they have terrible writers, 90 percent of the time the actual paper comes out and is so far behind on the news it's not "News" anymore.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I don't mind Pollard having an opinion and posting it. It's suprising that people go on message boards and complain about people having an opinion.
THe other thing is this, he is right. The Register sucks. No idea why anyone would still be getting it. The only reason I understand someone get's it is because they are very old and don't like dealing with the internet. Other than that, they have terrible writers, 90 percent of the time the actual paper comes out and is so far behind on the news it's not "News" anymore.

You can surely understand the difference between Clonefan32 or Drew0311 posting an opinion on a message board and Jamie Pollard putting this on Twitter, right?

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
You can surely understand the difference between Clonefan32 or Drew0311 posting an opinion on a message board and Jamie Pollard putting this on Twitter, right?

Not on minor stuff like this. He can have an opinion if he wants. It's not like he is commenting on the presidential race or something that could cause problems. This is just him saying "Screw those peope that don't cover all of our athletics".

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Tommy Birch’s response.

Pretty lame response by Tommy Birch. Why is it either/or news coverage between ISU softball and an interest piece about the 20 year anniversary of ISU dropping baseball?

If it is an either/or decision by the DMR, then the ISU Softball going to the NCAA tournament for the first time in over 30 years is a MUCH BIGGER and more time sensitive news story.

Nobody would question if the ISU baseball story ran 3 weeks from now!

Shame in the register for not recognizing the ISU & UNI women!

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
JP's tweet was fine other than the cancelled my subscription part. About once every 6 months I make the mistake of picking up a Sun copy of the Reg. Then I realize what a mistake I've made and how a really good paper no longer exists. Yes even back then the sports coverage was slanted but the rest of the paper was good, now it is nothing but cut and paste USA Today.

Agree on the cancelled subscription part...that was the part that seemed whiney and a jab....in fact, what if he would have said something like "I hope the subscriptions I bought today for my leadership staff and coaches help the register be able to up their coverage" LOL

• Winner
Reactions: cycloneML and NWICY

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Not on minor stuff like this. He can have an opinion if he wants. It's not like he is commenting on the presidential race or something that could cause problems. This is just him saying "Screw those peope that don't cover all of our athletics".
bur they do cover it. And all he did was put the attention on himself instead of the programs he is purportedly trying to bring attention to. Furthermore, just because there wasn’t anything in print on the teams on Monday doesn’t mean there won’t be on another day.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Could have actually said hey get a DMR online subscription and read about our teams. Gives positive attention to those programs and increases readership of ISU fans which drives more coverage.