Jamie vs the DMR

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
He's absolutely right in this case. They ignored a weekend full of historic accomplishments in favor of a story about a program that was cut 20 years ago.

They also consistently run the Press-Citizen stories about SUI's non-revenue sports, but assign nobody from the Ames Trib to do the same -- probably because there is basically nobody left at the Trib other than Travis and whatever stringers they can find to do prep sports.

Plus, the DMR couldn't even identify the women's tennis team accurately when they made NCAAs (called them the men's tennis team).

It's amazing how much worse the DMR has gotten even after the Ames Trib was folded in.
And they constantly throw shade at Iowa State without the "full story"

Exhibit A was the Iowa band fiasco at the last Cy-Hawk game where they painted our fans as savages without recognizing the Iowa band moved right through the prime tailgate area for our biggest fans. They pull this crap constantly, and they suck.

Their article writing is below par, some of Randy's stuff looks as if an 8th grader could write it and I'm not kidding.

I wouldn't sign up for the DMR online if it was in fact free. They don't deserve my clicks. They've been pro hawk since forever.

fcclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 15, 2009
bur they do cover it. And all he did was put the attention on himself instead of the programs he is purportedly trying to bring attention to. Furthermore, just because there wasn’t anything in print on the teams on Monday doesn’t mean there won’t be on another day.
Yeah, maybe they are planning on printing it on the 20th anniversary.

jimonalog

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2020
In the 70's ISU could have a great win and TOE a bad loss, and guess who got the front page story. I think his point is demanding respect. I suspect those negative public images of headlines affect recruiting. I'm all for Jaime calling BS.

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
And they constantly throw shade at Iowa State without the "full story"

Exhibit A was the Iowa band fiasco at the last Cy-Hawk game where they painted our fans as savages without recognizing the Iowa band moved right through the prime tailgate area for our biggest fans. They pull this crap constantly, and they suck.

Their article writing is below par, some of Randy's stuff looks as if an 8th grader could write it and I'm not kidding.

I wouldn't sign up for the DMR online if it was in fact free. They don't deserve my clicks. They've been pro hawk since forever.
You are being unfair to an 8th grader

Reactions: dosry5

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
He's a whiner. Complaining that they published a 20 year anniversary story is not the act of a mature man.
Do you think in 20 years the Register will have an anniversary article of cancelling men's gymnastics at Iowa? I believe they are/were a top ten team.

Of course they won't.

This was a hit piece.

Leidang

Apr 27, 2006
No defense for the old "Locust Street Liar". Cancelled it the day I could get baseball stats on the internet. The bottom of the barrel in a dumpster full of garbage papers.

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
I believe all of these things:
-Pollard is thin skinned, whiny, and excessively defensive on a regular basis. This is one of those times.

-He's the greatest AD in ISU history and there is no reasonable debate on the topic.

-The Register doesn't give ISU appropriate coverage compared to Iowa.

-There was nothing wrong at all with the Register running that story when they did. It's the 20th anniversary and something that they had been working on for awhile.

-The Register is a shell of it's former pre-Gannett self. What print media isn't?

Spot on. Although I would change “greatest AD in ISU history” to “the most important and influential person in ISU athletics history.” He’s had some dud hires in the major sports (Prohm, Chiz) but hit some home runs (pun intended) with Hoiberg and Campbell, and what he’s done with track and distance running and other various fundraising things. He has his moments like this Register thing, but I can live with him standing up for ISU when he feels theyve been slighted. Who wouldnt want that?

Last edited:
Reactions: VeloClone

Yaz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 29, 2018
I'm glad JP is "Thin Skinned" as some have said. Otherwise he'd be sitting on his ass doing nothing. Glad JP is on our side.

Reactions: Mr.G.Spot

Gerbs

Aug 31, 2013
Good for JP. I don’t care if he is perceived as thin skinned. This isn’t the first instance of the dmr being trash. Jp doesn’t bash them for a first time issue. It’s years of being a horrible paper

Reactions: Yaz

Neptune78

Aug 12, 2020
East of Neptune, IA.
We supposedly had two collegiate GOATs play this year in the state of Iowa. One with hokBB and one with Cyclone Softball. How were they covered?
I agree with Jamie's point that one school's athlete (and team) has been grossly under-reported by the Rag the last two years.

Even in The Big Peach days, the Rag has struggled to give the Cyclones their due. Jamie is simply verbalizing the obvious.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY and Yaz

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Do you think in 20 years the Register will have an anniversary article of cancelling men's gymnastics at Iowa? I believe they are/were a top ten team.

Of course they won't.

This was a hit piece.

Who really cares? I haven't read anything from the DSM Red Star in over 15 years. IMO all JP did was bring attention to a publication that is starving. They feed on chaos. Not that it isn't warranted...as many have said...it's been warranted for years. But they aren't going to change. And just like Randy P.......they will keep jabbing to get a reaction. That is what they do! So IMO he should have just let it go. No need to get in the mud with pigs. They smile and you just get dirty.

MNCYWX

Feb 7, 2010
Med City, MN
maybe it’s mentioned... didn’t read the whole thread. Selection show at 8PM. Pretty late for print deadline. I doubt DMR staffs on a Sunday night (sans breaking news). Story was written first thing Monday morning. Baseball story wasn’t turned in a day. It was a feature piece created well before the weekend and set to publish online at 6AM sharp.

Gripe about the DMR all you want for coverage but keep in mind the state of the industry. JP looks like a whiny Richard with this tweet. Especially to people he should view as professional colleagues.

MNCYWX

Feb 7, 2010
Med City, MN
maybe it’s mentioned... didn’t read the whole thread. Selection show at 8PM. Pretty late for print deadline. I doubt DMR staffs on a Sunday night (sans breaking news). Story was written first thing Monday morning. Baseball story wasn’t turned in a day. It was a feature piece created well before the weekend and set to publish online at 6AM sharp.

Gripe about the DMR all you want for coverage but keep in mind the state of the industry. JP looks like a whiny Richard with this tweet. Especially to people he should view as professional colleagues.

Being in a similar industry gives me a bit different perspective and better insight in the inner workings.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America

Why? When his “professional colleagues” have consistently not treated him well?

• Agree
Reactions: fcclone