Kylie Feuerbach in transfer portal

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Just to clear up your description of "spent time on the staffs." Not as a coach, but as a team manager.
His first coaching position at any level of basketball was given to him by his father at Iowa State.
He was manager at ISU and a recruiting admin at Maryland, but he was Director of Ops at Northwestern. Not technically a coach but higher than manager.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
No, that's not it. Brian Joens is a grade A jerk - to almost everyone but his family. He was barred from going to Iowa City High basketball games. He regularly gets into fights with the business neighbors of his at the strip mall where Joensy's is located. The IC police know him well.
Ashley Joens, with all of her talent, was under-recruited, because coaches would not put up with her father.
That may all be true and it might have contributed to them not being interested in Courtney, but I'm pretty sure that was what I heard.

Reactions: Tornado man

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Billy is kind of like the cultural bridge between the older coaches and the players on our team. Since he rejoined our program, our recruiting has been trending up and a lot of people gave Billy the credit as a younger generation of coaches who can get through the cultural gap in the program. So I think Billy is a vital piece to our program's success.
I can't speak for Billy's social media/recruiting prowess, but I don't see any impact from him on the schemes, strategy, or developmental pieces of the WBB program. Having been present at random practices and watching him on the bench at games, I honestly don't know what he does.
He s certainly not qualified to be any kind of a head coach IMO. Steyer is the slam dunk choice from the current staff to replace Bill, and Schaben after that.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
He was manager at ISU and a recruiting admin at Maryland, but he was Director of Ops at Northwestern. Not technically a coach but higher than manager.
I understand he was Director of Ops at NW. Many, many coaches, as do I, would call that a type of "Executive manager."

HardcoreClone

Jul 28, 2006
No, that's not it. Brian Joens is a grade A jerk - to almost everyone but his family. He was barred from going to Iowa City High basketball games. He regularly gets into fights with the business neighbors of his at the strip mall where Joensy's is located. The IC police know him well.
Ashley Joens, with all of her talent, was under-recruited, because coaches would not put up with her father.

After seeing his antics on TV during the tourney, I believe it.

Reactions: hiltonisheaven

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
I guess the old saying "Like Father Like Son" doesn't apply to the Joens girls in this case. Anyway, I hope the coaching staff finds a balance dealing with the situation because his behavior doesn't fit the IowaStateWay and his display of rage in the A&M game has caused some negative reactions from other fanbases and it doesn't help on the positive image our program is proud of.

Last edited:

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
I can't speak for Billy's social media/recruiting prowess, but I don't see any impact from him on the schemes, strategy, or developmental pieces of the WBB program. Having been present at random practices and watching him on the bench at games, I honestly don't know what he does.
He s certainly not qualified to be any kind of a head coach IMO. Steyer is the slam dunk choice from the current staff to replace Bill, and Schaben after that.
Billy is mainly responsible for recruiting in the program. Since he was hired, our recruiting has improved. I consider recruiting is vital to a program's success, which is why he is still very important to our program even Billy plays a less significant role in game-planning and player development (we don't know much about him in that part of the job). Also, he's the only assistant coach-level staff member in the program that the players can consider as a big brother and I believe younger coaches sometimes can relate better to the players than older coaches. Billy might not be a head coach candidate right now, but down the road some schools might consider hiring him to that position.

Since you mentioned coach Schaben. I know she's responsible for coaching our post players and game-planning. Does anyone know she's involved in recruiting at all, especially the kind of post players we need?

Last edited:

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
Forgive my ignorance, but what is the relationship between Joens and Joensy's? My family went to the Center Point location whenever we wanted a tenderloin growing up.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Billy is mainly responsible for recruiting in the program. Since he was hired, our recruiting has improved. I consider recruiting is vital to a program's success, which is why he is still very important to our program even Billy plays a less significant role in game-planning and player development (we don't know much about him in that part of the job). Also, he's the only assistant coach-level staff member in the program that the players can consider as a big brother and I believe younger coaches sometimes can relate better to the players than older coaches. Billy might not be a head coach candidate right now, but down the road some schools might consider hiring him to that position.

Since you mentioned coach Schaben. I know she's responsible for coaching our post players and game-planning. Does anyone know she's involved in recruiting at all, especially the kind of post players we need?

She travels a LOT for recruiting. I worked out with her for years in a gym, and she is on the move a lot.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Billy is mainly responsible for recruiting in the program.
I don't quite know what this means.
If you mean that recruiting is Billy's main job, I would guess that is so.
If you mean that Billy is in charge of recruiting, or does more than the other assistants, that is not true.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Forgive my ignorance, but what is the relationship between Joens and Joensy's? My family went to the Center Point location whenever we wanted a tenderloin growing up.
The Joens family owns and operates Joensy's restaurants. The north Iowa City location is their primary.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I guess the old saying "Like Father Like Son" doesn't apply to the Joens girls in this case. Anyway, I hope the coaching staff finds a balance dealing with the situation because his behavior doesn't fit the IowaStateWay and his display of rampage in the A&M game has caused some negative reactions from other fanbases and it doesn't help on the positive image our program is proud of.

Hawk fans on their Rivals site regularity talked about his behavior. I think he actually posts their still. Hell, the guy got tossed before the ISU/Iowa game tipoff for getting into it with the parents of the Hawk players. The same Hawk fans regularly have nothing bad to say about the gals, quite the contrary. I am more inclined to believe guys saying bad stuff about the dad when the same guys are saying the daughters are great kids.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Bill has certainly earned the right to leave on his terms but he has not earned the right IMO to significantly influence the choosing of his successor. The program has the potential to achieve better results and I don't think Steyer or Billy can do so as Bill's replacement.

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
I don't quite know what this means.
If you mean that recruiting is Billy's main job, I would guess that is so.
If you mean that Billy is in charge of recruiting, or does more than the other assistants, that is not true.

To make my personal opinion more clear, I support Billy as an assistant coach in our program. But I remain neutral on whether Billy should be considered as the next head coach of our program after his father retires. Billy does need more experience in areas other than recruiting in order to fully qualify for the job.

I copy this paragraph from Billy's resume posted on Cyclones.com below.

(Billy) Fennelly has taken on new challenges since his arrival in Ames. He has overtaken the role of recruiting coordinator for the Cyclones. In six years as the recruiting coordinator, the Cyclones have seen a rise across the board, with five of Iowa State’s last six recruiting classes ranked in the top 25 by multiple media entities for the first time in program history. Iowa State’s 2020 class was ranked No. 7 overall, marking the best class in school history. In addition to overall recruiting class success, Fennelly also helped the Cyclones sign the two highest-rated players in program history in just the last three signing classes with All-American and current ISU junior Ashley Joens and incoming freshman and McDonald’s All-American Lexi Donarski.

Last edited:

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
I always like the mindset that "if you want to defeat your enemy/rival, you'd better know them as well as yourself". As some posters suggested, I went to Iowa's Rival site and found their discussion thread of the KF transfer. Unlike the biased takes on the HawkeyeNation WBB forum, most of the discussion in that thread is pretty sober and rational, with a Cyclone fan involved. It shows me a different perspective from our rival's angle on this topic. And some of their posters have been following this thread as well. If you are not a completely Hawk hater or you don't really care what they think, feel free to give a quick read (only 59 posts so far).

https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/kylie-feuerbach-to-iowa.355054/

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I always like the mindset that "if you want to defeat your enemy/rival, you'd better know them as well as yourself". As some posters suggested, I went to Iowa's Rival site and found their discussion thread of the KF transfer. Unlike the biased takes on the HawkeyeNation WBB forum, most of the discussion in that thread is pretty sober and rational, with a clone fan involved. It shows me a different perspective from our rival's angle on this topic. And some of their posters have been following this thread as well. If you are not a completely Hawk hater or you don't really care what they think, feel free to give a quick read (only 59 posts so far).

https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/kylie-feuerbach-to-iowa.355054/

Can agree that the WBB threads on Rivals aren't all bad and I sneak a peak once in a while. Although I did chuckle earlier this season at some grumpy old farts having a tizzy about Clarks on court "demeaner".

Reactions: undersized_post

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Just to clear up your description of "spent time on the staffs." Not as a coach, but as a team manager.
His first coaching position at any level of basketball was given to him by his father at Iowa State.
And you’re wrong....
At Maryland he was the administrative assistant to the Recruiting Coordinator. Supervised managers and was in charge of day to day operations.
at Northwestern he was Director of Operations.
Both are considerably different than what you described.

Reactions: StClone