Kylie Feuerbach in transfer portal

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Ashley must get attention like this too. Nonetheless, this is not surprising with Iowan Clark's top-flight talent and deserved publicity.

Don't know what Bluder is doing to attract these players. In recent years she got: Clark; Megan Gustafson (despite our push); Samantha Logic, top ten player out of HS by many sources; And, Bluder's 2021-22 class is rated 20th best or better.

So far Bluder's uoi Women's Basketball has not had big NCAA Tourney success beyond an Elite Eight of 2019. But with all the talent they have back for '21-22 and incoming, there will be an assumption for Bluder to not only win in the big, but go into the Final Four.

Two Sweet Sixteens and an Elite Eight in the last five NCAA's (discounting the no play year of 2020) is something I'd settle for. :rolleyes:

Saw something this last weekend that got me thinking. Was surfin' around to see what Iowa press was saying about Feuerbach and stumbled into an in-depth long question and answer interview with the Hawk's Clark in the CR Gazette. Two things stood out to me (1) the unscripted long one-on-one interview and (2) her unabashed statements about going to a Final Four. Do our gals even have the freedom to do such an interview? Don't ever recall seeing anything like that with Carleton or Joens (or anyone). Seems everything we see is very tightly scripted and mostly short social media popup thingies that are fun but mostly just fluff. Sorta leads in to the "fun" comment from Feuerbach.

• Agree
Reactions: CyclonesFan4ever

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Two Sweet Sixteens and an Elite Eight in the last five NCAA's (discounting the no play year of 2020) is something I'd settle for.

I don't recall Iowa State ever getting two top ten players in our hay days when we had Elite Eight (2) and Sweet Sixteens(3) albeit over a longer period. We have the top-rated player ever in Donaraski fortunately, almost serendipitously. And, that may well be part of the recruiting-chance, luck, and fortune.

Bluder may be lucky and good. Lucky as the BiG is a big, rich, selling point, at least to wide-eyed Midwest HS recruits. Lucky in that several of Wisconsin's WBB programs were not strong when making pitches for Gustafson and Logic. Lucky in that Clark defaulted to an in-state school and thought Iowa State hapless and unappealing. Lucky in that, Doyle was gone. Bluder's appeal to Clark, in so many words, here's the keys to Carver's doors-now work magic. Lucky her play style is seen as an alluring idea of fun, running, and player-orientated which may or may not lead to winning.

If all it takes to get some of the very best players (Clark may be once in a lifetime) is being part of the a couple of Sweet Sixteen and an Elite Eight, we really screwed up here in Cyland as have many others.

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I don't recall Iowa State ever getting two top ten players in our hay days when we had Elite Eight (2) and Sweet Sixteens(3) albeit over a longer period. We have the top-rated player ever in Donaraski fortunately, almost serendipitously. And, that may well be part of the recruiting-chance, luck, and fortune.

Bluder may be lucky and good. Lucky as the BiG is a big, rich, selling point, at least to wide-eyed Midwest HS recruits. Lucky in that several of Wisconsin's WBB programs were not strong when making pitches for Gustafson and Logic. Lucky in that Clark defaulted to an in-state school and thought Iowa State hapless and unappealing. Lucky in that, Doyle was gone. Bluder's appeal to Clark, in so many words, here's the keys to Carver's doors-now work magic. Lucky her play style is seen as an alluring idea of fun, running, and player-orientated which may or may not lead to winning.

If all it takes to get some of the very best players (Clark may be once in a lifetime) is being part of the a couple of Sweet Sixteen and an Elite Eight, we really screwed up here in Cyland as have many others.

I don't think that either Doyle or Clark would have been happy in Bill's culture where players are to be seen but not heard except at a post game presser if he invites you to sit down for two minutes.

Some luck, of course, to have a highly recruited star like Clark elect to stay at home. Makes the Gopher fans up here cry even more over Page Bueckers. We also got a lucky break though with Joens' dad setting his hair on fire and starting a feud with the Iowa staff years ago. One of the damnedest things I've ever heard in recruiting in the midwest.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I don't think that either Doyle or Clark would have been happy in Bill's culture where players are to be seen but not heard except at a post game presser if he invites you to sit down for two minutes.

Some luck, of course, to have a highly recruited star like Clark elect to stay at home. Makes the Gopher fans up here cry even more over Page Bueckers. We also got a lucky break though with Joens' dad setting his hair on fire and starting a feud with the Iowa staff years ago. One of the damnedest things I've ever heard in recruiting in the midwest.

What happened with Joens’ dad and Iowa?

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
From Minnesota, we have a bit of experience (and success) with those ladies . . . .

She was not even a top 100 recruit and hardly played after getting some minutes early in the season. I guess she could get a spot at Wisconsin, they are really not good but not sure about their guard situation. I am thinking, given her late entry, that one of the Dakota state schools in the Summit League might be a better option, or a UNI or Drake. Those schools are always looking to grab midwest gals with great HS stats that didn't get much big school recruiting attention.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Do our gals even have the freedom to do such an interview?

The first step is having a local newspaper that gives a **** and actually wants to do a long-form story or interview. The Register hasn't had truly good overall WBB coverage (all four in-state schools) since they sacked Dan Johnson (RIP). And a lot of the work he did in his later years was more or less in spite of the higher-ups.

The Trib always tried over the years, but they've had a revolving door of sportswriters over the past decade. Nobody gets a foothold on the WBB beat anymore. It's more of a "well, who can we spare tonight?" attitude.

And since the Trib has gotten sucked into the Gannett vortex with the Register, it's just gotten worse.

farcyted

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Unlike someone like you who hasn't posted on the WBB forum in the past 3 years until today, I'm a regular poster here. I do care about the well-being of other members who make positive contributions to our board. That's something called "respect", regardless of if they think my suggestion is necessary.

Get over yourself.

farcyted

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
I just listened to the latest CW and Blum's Sunday podcast. It's nice of them to spend over 5 minutes (starting at 12:15) discussing the KF's transfer. They both agreed that the concern here is not about KF, but about where she transfers. CW did mention he has talked to the people inside the WBB program that her decision caught most people by surprise especially among players. So if you rule out other possibilities, the likely reason for her transfer is that she doesn't like the system we run or doesn't think she was used the best way and thinks Iowa's system's better for her skillset. Again, it's to be determined.

I think it has little to do with basketball. I think she has a boyfriend or girlfriend in iowa city, or she wants a degree in a health care field.

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
Two Sweet Sixteens and an Elite Eight in the last five NCAA's (discounting the no play year of 2020) is something I'd settle for. :rolleyes:

Saw something this last weekend that got me thinking. Was surfin' around to see what Iowa press was saying about Feuerbach and stumbled into an in-depth long question and answer interview with the Hawk's Clark in the CR Gazette. Two things stood out to me (1) the unscripted long one-on-one interview and (2) her unabashed statements about going to a Final Four. Do our gals even have the freedom to do such an interview? Don't ever recall seeing anything like that with Carleton or Joens (or anyone). Seems everything we see is very tightly scripted and mostly short social media popup thingies that are fun but mostly just fluff. Sorta leads in to the "fun" comment from Feuerbach.

I agree with you on this. By my observation, our team's appearance is probably governed by the student-athlete code of conduct more strictly than Iowa, which includes what the players can do or say on and off the court. Most of the players on both teams are from the Midwest and sharing a similar background so it's really up to how a program builds its identity and culture. Regardless, as long as both programs are successful, the culture can be different even with the players who share similar personalities, so sometimes it really comes down to if a player wants to buy in and stay on the course to help herself and the respective program achieve the goals.

Our IowaStateWay culture is to embrace who we are and not apologizing for who we aren't, and keep doing the things that got us to where we are day in and day out. Whether it can bring us back the glorious days (Angie Welle and Alison Lacey eras) we've been longing for is to be determined.

Here's a visual comparison of two teams' reactions after hearing their names called on Selection Monday.

Iowa State

Fast forward to 24:20 see a longer version of the team reaction.

Iowa

Last edited:

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
As for hard work and luck to land players, bad dumb luck seems evident in our program. The first name to come to me (of several) is Rebekah Dahlman, whose injury-riddled career may have had a different fortune at Iowa State for both her and the Iowa State program.

On digging around in the past: Does anyone remember Twitedredbird in the WBB Forum? Is that poster here yet, or changed their handle?

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
On digging around in the past: Does anyone remember Twitedredbird in the WBB Forum? Is that poster here yet, or changed their handle?
TwistedRedbird became runbikeswim, who apparently passed away last year.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
TwistedRedbird became runbikeswim, who apparently passed away last year.

Thanks, I enjoyed his reports from out in Colorado and more.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
God imagine how good Iowa would be if Joens chose Iowa...and they still got Clarke.

CBF has a ceiling at ISU due to his coaching style, recruiting style and style of play. 90% of fans accept that ceiling because it's still means solid teams. That said, at some point BF will be gone and I'm going to be really intrigued how ISU does. I think the womens team could get even better in the future under different leadership. I say that while acknowleging BF built this program from nothing and deserves a ton of credit.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
God imagine how good Iowa would be if Joens chose Iowa...and they still got Clarke.

CBF has a ceiling at ISU due to his coaching style, recruiting style and style of play. 90% of fans accept that ceiling because it's still means solid teams. That said, at some point BF will be gone and I'm going to be really intrigued how ISU does. I think the womens team could get even better in the future under different leadership. I say that while acknowleging BF built this program from nothing and deserves a ton of credit.
Daddy Joens was never going to let Ashley play in IC. BUT! Clark never disavowed, absolutely, playing in Ames. Think of that. Water under the bridge.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
What happened with Joens’ dad and Iowa?

200.gif

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
Saw this stat on another board and thought you guys would like to know.

With the transfer news from Iowa & Maryland yesterday, it's now down to FOUR P5 schools with no transfers (out) -- Stanford, Washington St, UCLA, Ga Tech.

Update: Thanks to BoxsterCy's reminder, Minnesota should also be included in the list, so it's down to FIVE schools.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: NWICY

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013

Admittedly I follow WBB from the periphery, but I do wonder about coach BF. Is it time for him to move on? I respect what he has done for the program but at some point it either doesn't work anymore or doesn't work like it used to.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Admittedly I follow WBB from the periphery, but I do wonder about coach BF. Is it time for him to move on? I respect what he has done for the program but at some point it either doesn't work anymore or doesn't work like it used to.

We were on the verge of the Sweet 16 with this year’s freshman class. I’m willing to see them through and hope they can take that step