Anyone else hearing that JP has already decided Prohm is coming back?

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I don’t know what point you’re trying to make here.. I’m not saying TJ is bad nor am I saying that TJ did not help Fred in a variety of ways. I’m simply saying that Fred is in a fact a fantastic X’s and O’s coach.

High school and college coaches would travel all over the United States to listen to Fred talk about his scheme offensively.

Fred’s lack of success in the NBA and Nebraska has nothing to do with his X’s and O’s, rather has entirely to do with the fact that he was not able to play his style at the Bulls and he’s not yet been able to put together a full roster at Nebraska.
But "X's and O's" also includes defense. What is Fred's defensive style? I don't see one. All I can tell is that it's half-hearted. Players wanting to save their energy for offense and not wanting to collect fouls and lose court time so they release their man.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I think the failure in this line of thinking is it assumes that JP didn't pursue other options and only went with TJ because he likes him. That is making a huge assumption that I know is wrong. He may end up going with him, but it won't because of a lack of looking.
If TJ is hired within a week, It’s really hard to not make that assumption.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
I don’t know what point you’re trying to make here.. I’m not saying TJ is bad nor am I saying that TJ did not help Fred in a variety of ways. I’m simply saying that Fred is in a fact a fantastic X’s and O’s coach.

High school and college coaches would travel all over the United States to listen to Fred talk about his scheme offensively.

Fred’s lack of success in the NBA and Nebraska has nothing to do with his X’s and O’s, rather has entirely to do with the fact that he was not able to play his style at the Bulls and he’s not yet been able to put together a full roster at Nebraska.
Fred’s issues with the Bulls also included managing/motivating the well paid adults accustomed to Thibs methods. The power dynamics are different in college and it’s not an issue coaching at Iowa St.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I would love to see someone young from the last decade of ISU basketball (such as Naz Long) join the next staff.

For example, bring back Fred and let him groom Naz to be a future successor if he does jump back to the NBA like some on here suggest he will.

I’ve always said Naz is the one in that great group of players that will be a coach.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
But "X's and O's" also includes defense. What is Fred's defensive style? I don't see one. All I can tell is that it's half-hearted. Players wanting to save their energy for offense and not wanting to collect fouls and lose court time so they release their man.
NU is 40 in Kenpom defense.

His style is to force the opponent into a bad shot chart.

The question on Hoiball defense was whether it would become good enough to win a title, not whether it was bad. Only Morgan in 2004-05 and LE in 1999-2000 had defenses tangibly better. Which is impressive given how good his offenses were.

I’d be thrilled to have top-60 defenses with top-10 or top-20 offense again, with a down year being top 125 defense

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Correct they do. And he did struggle in that aspect of things.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
I think the failure in this line of thinking is it assumes that JP didn't pursue other options and only went with TJ because he likes him. That is making a huge assumption that I know is wrong. He may end up going with him, but it won't because of a lack of looking.

id hope not but it also may look really bad on jps part

especially if tj is hired very soon

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
According to the Register if Prohm is fired this year his buy out is $8M. How much will that go down if we wait a year?
Down to $6M? If that is the case it does not seem like much difference.

This is the first I've heard that number, or something even close. $5M has been the number mentioned on here consistently. If it is $8M (and I highly doubt it is), the chance we move on are far slimmer than I thought.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
If TJ is hired within a week, It’s really hard to not make that assumption.

I understand the perception issue, but if he makes the effort and that's who he settles on, I'd rather him move as quick as possible rather than drag things out for appearance purposes. We're going to have turnover on the roster regardless and this is going to be a bonkers transfer season. Our only hope of speeding up the huge rebuild process is by getting a few studs via transfer, and the more time the new guy has, the better.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
NU is 40 in Kenpom defense.

His style is to force the opponent into a bad shot chart.

The question on Hoiball defense was whether it would become good enough to win a title, not whether it was bad. Only Morgan in 2004-05 and LE in 1999-2000 had defenses tangibly better. Which is impressive given how good his offenses were.

I’d be thrilled to have top-60 defenses with top-10 or top-20 offense again, with a down year being top 125 defense

WTF you weren't kidding. A Fred team that doesn't completely suck at defense?

1615415004307.png

The best he had ever done before was #58th nationally.

If Fred brought the #37 defense along with the #5 offense, then we're winning a lot more (of what was already a lot by our standards) games. I didn't think Fred would have it in him to put together a competent defense.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
WTF you weren't kidding. A Fred team that doesn't completely suck at defense?

View attachment 82675

The best he had ever done before was #58th nationally.

If Fred brought the #37 defense along with the #5 offense, then we're winning a lot more (of what was already a lot by our standards) games. I didn't think Fred would have it in him to put together a competent defense.
But Sig.. Fred hasn’t yet rebuilt Nebraska and he was a horrible NBA coach! Why would we want him?? ;)

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
I understand the perception issue, but if he makes the effort and that's who he settles on, I'd rather him move as quick as possible rather than drag things out for appearance purposes. We're going to have turnover on the roster regardless and this is going to be a bonkers transfer season. Our only hope of speeding up the huge rebuild process is by getting a few studs via transfer, and the more time the new guy has, the better.

jp is been very transparent on financials the last year

time to be transparent on this coaching search

• Dumb
Reactions: isutrevman

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
Will admit just finally checking in here, but is the discussion about TJ from the apparent rumor that he was in Ames this last weekend?