Anyone else hearing that JP has already decided Prohm is coming back?

Minnyclonenut

Mar 1, 2021
Can someone help me with the TJ fan club? I think TJ is a really good guy who obviously has built a lot of relationships here which has his name in this conversation. Outside of Iowa St is there any other Major conference school even considering him? He has a long ways to go with UNLV right now, which essentially is a rebuild- very similar to us. His first job you could actually argue he underachieved. South Dakota state has been loaded for a long time and TJ was gifted a very talented team less David Jenkins who came in his 2nd season. State suffered one of their worst losses ever in the conference tournament as a one seed vs. an 8 in Sioux Falls, in one of the biggest Home court advantages in conference tournaments. I just think we aren’t thinking big enough. Rumor was SDSU offered Devries and he turned it down opening the door for Otz. I’m leaning to Devries and I don’t even have TJ as top 7. Great guy but I think he needs to show he can build a program.

Jayshellberg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 4, 2016
Omaha
Like who?
How about Tod Kowalczyk. He is the head coach of Toledo and has fielded competitive teams wherever he has went. The last head we got from Toledo has been terrific. My Pollard will take another drink from the well. He is from Wisconsin so likely has connections in that state and Ohio.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Can someone help me with the TJ fan club? I think TJ is a really good guy who obviously has built a lot of relationships here which has his name in this conversation. Outside of Iowa St is there any other Major conference school even considering him? He has a long ways to go with UNLV right now, which essentially is a rebuild- very similar to us. His first job you could actually argue he underachieved. South Dakota state has been loaded for a long time and TJ was gifted a very talented team less David Jenkins who came in his 2nd season. State suffered one of their worst losses ever in the conference tournament as a one seed vs. an 8 in Sioux Falls, in one of the biggest Home court advantages in conference tournaments. I just think we aren’t thinking big enough. Rumor was SDSU offered Devries and he turned it down opening the door for Otz. I’m leaning to Devries and I don’t even have TJ as top 7. Great guy but I think he needs to show he can build a program.

There’s not really a TJ fan club. Just people that are like, “he’s just as much of a gamble as anyone else and he’s likely to be in the list because of obvious ties.”

There’s more of a TJ hate club if anything, that has tried to invent a “TJ fan club” to validate itself in its hate for TJ.

-thanks for coming to my TJ talk

Last edited:

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I love it when message board posters dissect coaching

There’s not really a TJ fan club. Just people that are like, “he’s just as much of a gamble as anyone else and he’s likely to be in the list because of obvious ties.”

There’s more of a TJ hate club if anything, that has tried to invent a “TJ fan club” to validate itself in its hate for TJ.

-thanks for coming to my TJ talk
I agree with you on this.. I'm not sure I've seen one person (at least on this site), that have been head over heels in love with TJ and think he's a home run hire.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I agree with you on this.. I'm not sure I've seen one person (at least on this site), that have been head over heels in love with TJ and think he's a home run hire.

Doesn’t Gunner post about how great he is all the time?

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Can someone help me with the TJ fan club? I think TJ is a really good guy who obviously has built a lot of relationships here which has his name in this conversation. Outside of Iowa St is there any other Major conference school even considering him?
There's a segment on here who are just in love with Otzelberger. No way to explain it...

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Prohm managed to take a great program that was loaded and turn it into a Winless Conference Team in just a few seasons. This is ENTIRELY Prohm’s Team. Prohm will not lead us out of the Cellar. We are at Ken Trickey level in terms of Coaching. We are really bad.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Doesn’t Gunner post about how great he is all the time?
Not that I'm aware of. From what I've seen, he defends TJ but he's fair about it. I don't think he's once said that he'd choose TJ over the field but I could be wrong.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Prohm managed to take a great program that was loaded and turn it into a Winless Conference Team in just a few seasons. This is ENTIRELY Prohm’s Team. Prohm will not lead us out of the Cellar. We are at Ken Trickey level in terms of Coaching. We are really bad.
Yes.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Didn't Doug get moved off of scholarship his senior year so a guy who was cleared for an additional season could be on scholarship?

Correct. Grant Gibbs was granted a 6th year but Creighton had no scholarships. So Greg pulled Doug's while he was in Russia

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
There's a segment on here who are just in love with Otzelberger. No way to explain it...

I think I can explain it. There is a hope that TJ can bring back the talent and play style that Hoiberg coached with. TJ was a big part of the recruiting at that time and TJ fans are hoping he can coach like Fred too.

I'm not as sure as they are that it will work though. Fred capitalized on transfers before the rest of the NCAA really caught on. He did also bring in good HS players as well, but transfers were always a big part of it. Now every major conference school looks at and is willing to bring in transfers, so the good ones are going to blue bloods more and more now.

I have very little idea how TJ coaches. I believe he runs an up tempo system. I know he was pretty good at SDSU, but that was with a great player in Mike Daum sitting in his lap when he got there.
UNLV has been less successful, but I don't know where the roster was when he showed up.

All in all, I think TJ fans are hoping that TJ can be a Hoiberg clone, even if that's not guaranteed.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Exactly my point.

Look, I’ve made my peace with TJ. I think most of his supporters are playing it better this time around. Last time this board was filled with influential people acting like TJ was the only choice. I remember podcasts telling us he was the only choice. I didn’t like it then and I don’t like it now.

But he’ll if he wants to be here, I should be fine with it! And I guarantee that I’ll be the one defending him when everyone else wants him fired.