Anyone else hearing that JP has already decided Prohm is coming back?

Brandon

Feb 6, 2014
You know, that is a good point.....obviously Prohm wants his own staff, but in theory get someone that knows their stuff and could be the go to if Prohm doesn't get to a better place next year...but again, that'd be hard to work out in that way.

I'd hope, if Prohm is retained, he'd come to the conclusion "something has to change" in terms of his staff and practice/prep/gameday stuff

Prohm can recruit no doubt but he definitely needs an x's and o's guy.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
You know what is really ****** up? There hasn’t been a realistic candidate mentioned that is super exciting.

You know who, in theory, would be a realistic and good candidate? The head coach at Creighton. A successful Midwest program for 10 years in a major conference but where getting to the Big 12 would be considered a step up. Too bad that coach already failed here.

Obviously I’m not saying we should hire McDermott. But you have to admit that if the Creighton coach was John Smith, he’d be the top of our list.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
His dad knew as did other ISU staff members. He was never coming to ISU because Greg was not going to be around.
For sure, i just shared the rankings too as there didn't seem to be other schools of higher caliber...but i'm with you, the writing was on the wall...and honestly, super cool Ben Jacobson did what he did.

• Winner
Reactions: CascadeClone

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Doug didn't go to Iowa State becuase of two reasons:

1) His dad was on the hot seat
2) He wanted to be a scholorship player. Greg admitted he wanted Doug to walk on at ISU so that he could have another available scholorship and paying tuition at ISU, while being an employee making $1M+ is nothing

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
You know what is really ****** up? There hasn’t been a realistic candidate mentioned that is super exciting.

You know who, in theory, would be a realistic and good candidate? The head coach at Creighton. A successful Midwest program for 10 years in a major conference but where getting to the Big 12 would be considered a step up. Too bad that coach already failed here.

Obviously I’m not saying we should hire McDermott. But you have to admit that if the Creighton coach was John Smith, he’d be the top of our list.

This won't be popular but it's not a step up. That program is better than ours in nearly every way. Big 12 is an upgrade in competition but the Big East gets more exposure and has some of the best recruiting grounds in the country. They plan in an NBA level arena and are #2 in the country in attendance, this isn't the MVC Creighton anymore. It shouldn't be this way but the last 5 years, they've passed us. They get more fans at games, get cushy time slots thanks to their deal with fox, they out recruit us, win more games and their coach makes more money. I have no clue what would make ISU attractive to a coach that already has those advantages.

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA

2) He wanted to be a scholorship player. Greg admitted he wanted Doug to walk on at ISU so that he could have another available scholorship and paying tuition at ISU, while being an employee making $1M+ is nothing
Didn't Doug get moved off of scholarship his senior year so a guy who was cleared for an additional season could be on scholarship?

Clonestarred

Oct 5, 2020

#1 -yes
#2- immaterial

Reactions: Cydkar

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I wish you were the guy that held me accountable for my budget at work

There's a huge difference between being the CEO/CFO setting your financial plan vs a department head being given a cost budget. Financial plan includes revenues and strategic initiatives.

Make no mistake, Jamie is the CEO/CFO of Iowa State Athletics Inc.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012

Lol. No. That would be the equivalent of Iowa St thinking they could hire Chris Holtman.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
I think one angle Iowa St may be able to take is to be someone else's Creighton. We'll take a bigger program's coach that isn't working out, but they're struggling with the idea of firing. Then hopefully they learn from their mistakes at that job, and succeed here. Wojo or Mike Brey come to mind, although Brey has been at ND forever.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I think one angle Iowa St may be able to take is to be someone else's Creighton. We'll take a bigger program's coach that isn't working out, but they're struggling with the idea of firing. Then hopefully they learn from their mistakes at that job, and succeed here. Wojo or Mike Brey come to mind, although Brey has been at ND forever.

Turgeon would fit this bill too