Anyone else hearing that JP has already decided Prohm is coming back?

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
It's been a long standing tradition at ISU to start all the senior on Senior day at ISU. Fennelly usually lets them play for 5 minutes or till a time out. The mens team has let them play varying amounts of time that I can remember.

Starting the Srs is the right thing to do. Any team worth it's salt can start it's seniors on Sr day.

:rolleyes:

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
The budget isn't going to carry the buyout without pulling funds from other areas which means football and I don't support that.

I'm not sure that's how it'll work. And even if it did, I am not ok with an absolutely dreadful bball program, unless the football team is making the playoffs regularly. They ain't there yet, and likely never will be.

cb1030

Oct 6, 2017
I’ll just say it, what’s the big hate for TJ about? What the hell is so wrong with picking someone who’s qualified and actually wants to be here? I get that he doesn’t have a “can’t miss” track record, but who the **** does? Anyone on that very short list likely doesn’t want to be in Ames long, if at all.

Jesus, I’m not even a TJ guy and have no idea if he’d be the right hire, but I do know that we could do worse by picking another hire akin to Prohm who just happened to luck into good players being left for him at each stop.

ISU and Hilton magic are special when the ball is rolling in the right direction, and I think TJ at least appreciates that. I vividly remember driving home from work listening to the local reaction on KXNO when Fred was hired. People were a mix of laughing in our faces/pissed, but you know what? He at least portrayed a love and belief in ISU, and that was infectious. If TJ is the hire then I’ll be getting my tickets again and won’t miss a game.

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
I would argue that all of his football hires were good. Chizek was a huge name that increased our recruiting in a great way, and CPR had success, especially compared to our overall history. In hindsight neither really panned out the way we wanted, but I would argue that they were both good hires that had their place in getting us where we are at.

McD seemed like a good hire, and is obviously a good coach, but it just didn’t work out here.
Perhaps McD would have eventually worked out if his kid came to play for him here in Ames instead of Creighton. (If CGM was still in Ames at that time.)

Jayshellberg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 4, 2016
Omaha
I’ll just say it, what’s the big hate for TJ about? What the hell is so wrong with picking someone who’s qualified and actually wants to be here? I get that he doesn’t have a “can’t miss” track record, but who the **** does? Anyone on that very short list likely doesn’t want to be in Ames long, if at all.

Jesus, I’m not even a TJ guy and have no idea if he’d be the right hire, but I do know that we could do worse by picking another hire akin to Prohm who just happened to luck into good players being left for him at each stop.

ISU and Hilton magic are special when the ball is rolling in the right direction, and I think TJ at least appreciates that. I vividly remember driving home from work listening to the local reaction on KXNO when Fred was hired. People were a mix of laughing in our faces/pissed, but you know what? He at least portrayed a love and belief in ISU, and that was infectious. If TJ is the hire then I’ll be getting my tickets again and won’t miss a game.
I don’t hate TJ and will absolutely support him if that is the direction Pollard goes. This site also won’t hear me whining about the decision. However, I would like to see Pollard go with a coach who‘s teams are known for defense and rebounding. I just don’t think TJ is that guy. If that is incorrect, I apologize.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016

The gripe with TJ is he inherited a good situation at SDSU and isn't currently doing so hot at UNLV. While I don't think he'd be Prohm here, I'm concerned he may not be a good coach either.

isubb79

Jul 16, 2009
If you’re Fred why would you come back?

Sure he had some of the best years in ISU history, but things have changed so much since then! Do I think he would have sustained success if he stayed? Yes - but he didn’t!

People would expect immediate results of when he left (top 10 team) and that is completely unrealistic! Not saying he couldn’t do it, but the pressure would be so much higher the second go round. Why subject yourself to that?

The Hoiberg ship has sailed, people need to move on!!!
Your right things have changed since Fred left, Prohm has tanked the basketball program

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
I’ve seen this over and over. You cannot make a decision purely based on financials. You have to consider program status, ability to turn things around, etc, etc in addition to the finances. If any leader of a $100 million business makes decisions based only on finances, especially in college athletics, they aren’t a very good leader.

It will cost about $5 million to fire Prohm. And if we bring him back for another year, it will cost around $3.75 million to fire him then. Even with COVID impacts, if you don’t think Steve Prohm is the right guy to get ISU back (he’s not) - you HAVE to fire him this year. Because waiting another year only saves around $1.25 million. Pollard knows this.

I wish you were the guy that held me accountable for my budget at work

• Haha
Reactions: Die4Cy

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006

I don’t hate TJ I think he’s a nice guy. He is a good recruiter. I just haven’t watched his teams and seen anything from a basketball strategy standpoint that stands out. I’m ok if he’s the coach. I also think we can do better. Even with the last couple years sucking this is an attractive coaching job and we should be able to draw high level coaching talent.

I know I differ with some on this and I understand the argument on both sides. I get TJ can recruit to Ames. I also think there are a LOT of people that you can put on the staff that can recruit to Ames. I’d rather see a head coach that understands Xs and Os and player development and can put some guys on his staff that go get talent.

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
Perhaps McD would have eventually worked out if his kid came to play for him here in Ames instead of Creighton. (If CGM was still in Ames at that time.)

Doug was going to UNI before Greg went to Creighton.

Reactions: wxman1

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

The "wants to be here" thing is incredibly tired.
It's a job. Whoever comes in probably does 5 years. That's college coaching, and it's fine.

Peter

Feb 21, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
I like Dennis Gates at Cleveland State. Tons of high level coach experience as assistant in the NBA and ACC. Second year as head coach for CSU and they are tied for first in the conference. Was conference COY his first season. Winning at a historically bad program is always impressive.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
I like Dennis Gates at Cleveland State. Tons of high level coach experience as assistant in the NBA and ACC. Second year as head coach for CSU and they are tied for first in the conference. Was conference COY his first season. Winning at a historically bad program is always impressive.

He has an impressive resume for sure, but I wonder if he has enough experience.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
It's been a long standing tradition at ISU to start all the senior on Senior day at ISU. Fennelly usually lets them play for 5 minutes or till a time out. The mens team has let them play varying amounts of time that I can remember.

Starting the Srs is the right thing to do. Any team worth it's salt can start it's seniors on Sr day.
Bowie didn't start on his senior day, and Holden and Stu didn't even play.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Bowie didn't start on his senior day, and Holden and Stu didn't even play.

I didn't think he'd always had the seniors start.

I'm guessing that he wanted to give the seniors something since it had been such a tough year.

I've went to the last 2 home games and despite what some say on here, the players are playing really hard. They are diving on the floor and getting after it on defense and really seem to be trying their damnedest. They may not be good enough and they may not be getting good coaching, but they certainly have not mailed it in. I hope that all of them (coaches and players) will some day look back on the ****** two win season that was full of empty arenas and postponed games and be proud of the fact that they continued to go to work.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I’ll just say it, what’s the big hate for TJ about? What the hell is so wrong with picking someone who’s qualified and actually wants to be here?
How do we know this? Maybe Otzelberger is mad at Pollard for passing on him in favor of Prohm.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
My gopher friends are saying that gopher AD has informed little **** on Friday that he is gone after the last game.
Seems like they may be after Brian Dutcher, Ryan Saunders, Eric Musselman, Craig Smith, Medved...

I will be shocked if it's not Medved

• Haha
Reactions: mynameisjonas

Help Support Us

Become a patron