Geno responds to Kim Mulkey

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
"fair's got nothing to do with it"

Reminds me of one of my favorite lines in any movie ever, "Deserve's got nothing to do with it"

I liked the tie-in to her salary and it seemed like he was tiptoeing around his real feelings.

Neptune78

Aug 12, 2020
East of Neptune, IA.
Geno was quick to point out (and rightfully so) coaches huge salaries and the fact that anyone can opt out.
However, I would like to see Geno's data on on-court transmissions.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Geno nailed it. Cancel the season and lose out on the MBB tournament and sports like WBB are going to be on the chopping block. That's reality. They can't afford the hit of no tournament last year, no fans for football or basketball this year and no tournament this year. It'll bankrupt them.

So take the stance if you want to take the stance, but be realistic about the likely outcomes of it. Like any business, it's impossible to be sustainable if your revenue can't keep up with your expenses. And guess what, Kim, you are one of the big expenses.

Neptune78

Aug 12, 2020
East of Neptune, IA.
If people are testing negative before playing, it's pretty unlikely they're transmitting it to others while playing.

Agree it is 'pretty unlikely', but like in Mulkey's testing regimen, testing results can be questionable. Geno was talking in absolutes.

Not trying to say they shouldn't play, quite the opposite.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Agree it is 'pretty unlikely', but like in Mulkey's testing regimen, testing results can be questionable. Geno was talking in absolutes.

Not trying to say they shouldn't play, quite the opposite.
No he didn't speak in absolutes. He said extremely rare. The closest to an absolute was when he said something like it was approaching zero. That indicates a very low chance not no chance.

Neptune78

Aug 12, 2020
East of Neptune, IA.
No he didn't speak in absolutes. He said extremely rare. The closest to an absolute was when he said something like it was approaching zero. That indicates a very low chance not no chance.

As I said in my first post, I'd like to see the data that Geno is using to proclaim 'extremely rare' and 'approaching zero' transmissions on the court. I thought his medical proclamation was the weakest part of his Zoom call, as he was spot on for the most part.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
As I said in my first post, I'd like to see the data that Geno is using to proclaim 'extremely rare' and 'approaching zero' transmissions on the court. I thought his medical proclamation was the weakest part of his Zoom call, as he was spot on for the most part.

Idk that he's right or wrong but do you have data that says otherwise?

• Winner
Reactions: flycy and jctisu

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
Never said I had data, hence the reason Idk if he's right or wrong either. I'd like to see Geno's, otherwise I'll just chalk it up to non-medical coach speak.
I mean as someone who pointed out above if the ones (and that’s everyone like coaches and officials too) on the court the day of the game tested negative, you can’t just conjure the virus out of thin air.

If programs are skirting their results and lying about anyone that has COVID, then yes it could happen. But that’s not Geno’s point. His point is on the assumption that people are truthful about testing, and his point is probably 99% correct. Hence why he said almost zero.

I have changed my mind a lot since moving to CT. Got to actually talk to him at a function one time for about ten minutes, and the guy off the court is not the same guy on the court. He’s funny as hell, super genuine almost to a fault because he just tells it like it is. He doesn’t BS on subjects. On the court he is a master at motivating and getting the absolute most out of his players. But he is tough as hell, and like Fennelly, it takes a certain type of player to be coached like that.

Just my personal thoughts on Geno after getting to speak to him and go to many UConn women’s games since my wife is a grad from their and is obsessed with women’s basketball.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
"fair's got nothing to do with it"

Reminds me of one of my favorite lines in any movie ever, "Deserve's got nothing to do with it"

I liked the tie-in to her salary and it seemed like he was tiptoeing around his real feelings.

Love it. I fire up the speech to Little Bill on YouYube every now and then.

The beginning also reminded me of one of my favorite movie quotes: "Walter, you're not wrong, you're just an a****le."

Reactions: benjay

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Geno nailed it. I said it already, put your money where your mouth is and sacrifice some of your paycheck like so many other coaches have in order to help keep your athletic department afloat. Mulkey has not done that from what I have tried to search the internet and found nothing. Look at schools that have already cut sports over this, wonder what her thoughts would be if she was a coach of a swimming, tennis, or gymnastics team where she wasn't getting paid over $2 mil a year and her sport was one that could likely be cut if they had to eliminate some sports to make up for the revenue deficit. Bet she would be singing a different toon then.

Glad to see Geno basically call her out on her temper tantrum. My guess is if they had not lost the game to us she would have never made the comments but Geno is right, it is about the almighty dollar and like it or not if you want to get paid and keep other sports alive and the reality is these games have to be played or more sports programs are going away.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron