Friday OT #2 - The Unforgivable Curses

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
Oh, another one that happens where I live. There is a noticeable population of people who drive with their brights on, and don’t turn them off when other cars are approaching them. They even drive with their brights in in the evening when the sun is setting. The people here don’t know what dark is, considering that nearly every road here has a street light on it.
In my defense it was a new car and I didn't realize how to turn them off/if they were even the brights

We were in an airport a year or so ago and I heard some guy say "Go Hawks!"to some other guy. I said to DH: We have to hear that even out here?? mountain time zone) and he looked and said, "His jacket has Seattle Seahawks on it." Was relieved to say the least.
I went to the Iowa State - Texas Tech game and was wearing a Wisconsin shirt (I was planning to buy an Iowa State shirt up there but just didn't get there in time). After the game I had a guy in an Iowa shirt yell "go hawks" at me. I understand he was probably just recognizing that I had a Big 10 team's shirt on, but I'll never understand why they think saying "go hawks" is a good idea. As a D3 alum, I get wanting to recognize people wearing stuff from your conference, but I would never say "Go Woo!" to some random person wearing something with Witt or Denison on it.

Reactions: Buster28 and Angie

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
TV game announcers who say this like:

- He hasn't thrown an interception all year.
- He's gone two seasons without a fumble.
- He had made 87 free throws in a row.

You know something bad is going to happen next.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
We were in an airport a year or so ago and I heard some guy say "Go Hawks!"to some other guy. I said to DH: We have to hear that even out here?? mountain time zone) and he looked and said, "His jacket has Seattle Seahawks on it." Was relieved to say the least.
I was traveling with a friend and we had a connection in Denver (a recurring past mistake that I take steps to avoid now). I know I was wearing an ISU shirt while walking to our new gate; the friend may have been also. Some pilot is walking past us and *yells* "go hoks" loud enough that half the concourse heard him. Fortunately, we were in the middle of a conversation and didn't even glance his way, rendering his smug arrogance a wasted display. After the converstation was done, I said something like "what a d!ck." Like, dude - no one really cares. It's just that insatiable desire on their part to be as vocally obnoxious as possible about "their" team/school. They must not be able to help themselves when in the presence of polite company (or complete strangers).

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
This just in (cause noisy here):

The ceaseless calliope of gas powered leaf blowers yielded by all of the yard service minions my neighbors hire.

Reactions: Angie

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Have you seen the instagram account Cart Narcs? It simultaneously amuses me and makes me ragey.

I have not and I’m not sure if I want to. There is very little that makes me as angry as making someone’s crappy job worse by being a lazy **** bag. Clean up after yourself.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
People who text/scroll/watch videos on their phones while meandering across the crosswalks on campus. I stop to allow people to cross (like you're supposed to do), so it's infuriating that they wander in front of me instead of crossing and allowing me to be on my way.

Also, drivers who see cars stopped (for a crosswalk) and change lanes to blow past them, narrowly missing the pedestrians.

I'm not stopping for the FUN of it, people!!!

I must admit it did my heart good years ago to watch a student so focused on her phone that she walked straight into a tree, hard enough to knock her on her butt. :cool:

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY and Angie

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
People at work who ask, "When are you free in the next few days to meet?"

Just look at your calendar to find a free time slot for both you and me and schedule a meeting. And please, update your calendar when you are out of the office or have something booked.

• Winner
Reactions: MeanDean and Angie

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I don’t know, it was a story that my wife’s friend told me, she’s Catholic. That’s what we have into Lutheran Church
Yeah, I've been a regular attendee at Methodist, Lutheran, Presbyterian and Catholic churches and I remembered seeing these at all of them. I was an acolyte at the Methodist church growing up and we used them 40+ years ago.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Right turn on red. When I am poised to make a right turn on red but my view to the left to see if it's clear is completely blocked by a truck, SUV or pickup in the adjacent lane and the guy behind me starts honking his horn and guestering at me. Sorry dude can't see to the left. No, really you fuckhead, I CANNOT SEE TO THE LEFT! Would happen all of the time two blocks from my house on my old morning commute with some guy honking for me to turn blindly in the highway traffic buzzing by at 60 mph.

Same thing happens to me, except when I am in the left of a double turn lane. In WI, under law you can not turn right on red from the left lane. So I get harassed when I'm waiting...and usually it's like your situation where I really can't see if it's clear.

Do they want me to pull out into traffic, get smoked from the side, so the wreckage is blocking their path anyways?

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
I’m sure this has been said, but I’m not reading the whole thread (long threads are a pet peeve), people who say “I could care less”. Ugh....
Or the “I bet you won’t post this” posts on the Facebook. **** you, you’re right, I ain’t posting that.
Not a pet peeve, but I find it amusing when people on CF get upset when they get a “disagree” or “dislike” rating on a post so they have to mention it in a post, or better yet, message you. It makes me smile.

• Winner

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Same thing happens to me, except when I am in the left of a double turn lane. In WI, under law you can not turn right on red from the left lane. So I get harassed when I'm waiting...and usually it's like your situation where I really can't see if it's clear.

Do they want me to pull out into traffic, get smoked from the side, so the wreckage is blocking their path anyways?
Shouldn’t you turn right from the right lane and left from the left lane?

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
We've got two different threads from @madguy30 today (thanks so much!). Here's the first one:

Pet peeves, or pet peeves that you really have no way of getting around - what are the worst of the worst.

I hate hearing people chew. It's one of the worst sounds in the world. It's at its worst when people leave their mouth open while chewing, but usually people don't do that in polite society. However, hearing others bite into a crunchy food (like an apple or a Cheeto) is so very gross, and then hearing them chew even with their mouth closed can be gross. Quarantine hasn't been all bad, I've got to say.

What are yours?

Yours reminded me of some coworkers who used to eat at their desks. One was pregnant and would get a large drink with ice in it and crunch on the ice. She sat so close to me I could have reached out and touched her. She would be crunching ice all day long and I really couldn't say anything about it because she said her stomach hurt and the ice helped soothe the soreness. It probably had more to do with hormones than actual stomach pain.

Another one used to like to eat really crunchy stuff at his desk, chips, nuts you name it, but then he went on a wasabi pea bender for about 6 months. Every day, snacking on wasabi peas. It was enough to drive you nuts. But what was really bad about him is that after eating all those salty snacks, he had to have something to wash it down with, and you could actually hear him gulping down sodas. Every swallow.

Another older guy (in his 50s) who was as skinny as a rail would eat enough for three people at his desk and this was just his snacks. He would get bags of chocolate -- stars, kisses, those little square, wrapped chocolates -- and eat the whole bag at his desk. He also ate Little Debbie Snack Cakes at his desk, whole boxes of them, in addition to the chocolate. His bottom desk drawer (the big one) was full of boxes of Little Debbie Snack Cakes of various types and bags of chocolate. He never gained an ounce. This guy in his mid-50s had some York peppermint patties one day and went into a York peppermint patty commercial. He jumped, flat-footed, no running start, from the floor to the top of his desk and started acting like he was surfing, while he shouted out the York peppermint patty commercial right in the middle of work. He not only ate a lot at his desk, but he brought his lunch to work, which consisted of THREE sandwiches and assorted other food. He died shortly after that after his third heart attack. His outrageous metabolism and his unhealthy diet probably had a lot to do with it.

Another coworker had some strange eating habits. One day, he brought a whole bag of corn chips (the big bag), a big jar of salsa, and a whole bag of cheese. He'd sit there in the lunch room, eat the chips, DRINK the salsa right out of the jar, and eat the shredded cheese right out of the bag, crumbs getting all over him. He was an overweight slob. When one of the coworkers called him on what he was doing, he said in all seriousness, that he was on a diet and was eating light that day. He finished off the whole bag of chips, the whole bag of cheese and drank all the salsa, upending the nearly empty bags over his mouth and disgusting everyone as crumbs flew everywhere.

Last edited:
  • Winner

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
This situation. You can't turn right on red from the left of those two lanes in WI.

(legally)

View attachment 78092
Speaking of annoying turning pet peeves... I hate how seemingly a majority of people turn from the turning lane (assuming there is just one) into the lane where that red car is. You're supposed to turn into the nearest lane.

• Agree
Reactions: Ms3r4ISU and Angie

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Yours reminded me of some coworkers who used to eat at their desks. One was pregnant and would get a large drink with ice in it and crunch on the ice. She sat so close to me I could have reached out and touched her. She would be crunching ice all day long and I really couldn't say anything about it because she said her stomach hurt and the ice helped soothe the soreness. It probably had more to do with hormones than actual stomach pain.

An other one used to like to eat really crunchy stuff at his desk, chips, nuts you name it, but then he went on a wasabi pea bender for about 6 months. Every day, snacking on wasabi peas. It was enough to drive you nuts. But what was really bad about him is that after eating all those salty snacks, he had to have something to wash it down with, and you could actually hear him gulping down sodas. Every swallow.

Another older guy (in his 50s) who was as skinny as a rail would eat enough for three people at his desk and this was just his snacks. He would get bags of chocolate -- stars, kisses, those little square, wrapped chocolates -- and eat the whole bag at his desk. He also ate Little Debbie Snack Cakes at his desk, whole boxes of them, in addition to the chocolate. His bottom desk drawer (the big one) was full of boxes of Little Debbie Snack Cakes of various types and bags of chocolate. He never gained an ounce. This guy in his mid-50s had some York peppermint patties one day and went into a York peppermint patty commercial. He jumped, flat-footed, no running start, from the floor to the top of his desk and started acting like he was surfing, while he shouted out the York peppermint patty commercial right in the middle of work. He not only ate a lot at his desk, but he brought his lunch to work, which consisted of THREE sandwiches and assorted other food. He died shortly after that after his third heart attack. His outrageous metabolism and his unhealthy diet probably had a lot to do with it.

Another coworker had some strange eating habits. One day, he brought a whole bag of corn chips (the big bag), a big jar of salsa, and a whole bag of cheese. He'd sit there in the lunch room, eat the chips, DRINK the salsa right out of the jar, and eat the shredded cheese right out of the bag, crumbs getting all over him. He was an overweight slob. When one of the coworkers called him on what he was doing, he said in all seriousness, that he was on a diet and was eating light that day. He finished off the whole bag of chips, the whole bag of cheese and drank all the salsa, upending the nearly empty bags over his mouth and disgusting everyone as crumbs flew everywhere.

I don't think there's any way any of us can beat you. You work with crazy people?! That's just insane!

I think you're right about the pregnant woman (who is the sanest of the bunch) - for some reason, I wanted to crunch on ice when I was pregnant, but never did because it's terrible for your teeth. I think it's like some of the cravings you get, there's some biological component to it. But the rest of those are insane!