Friday OT #2 - The Unforgivable Curses

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
We've got two different threads from @madguy30 today (thanks so much!). Here's the first one:

Pet peeves, or pet peeves that you really have no way of getting around - what are the worst of the worst.

I hate hearing people chew. It's one of the worst sounds in the world. It's at its worst when people leave their mouth open while chewing, but usually people don't do that in polite society. However, hearing others bite into a crunchy food (like an apple or a Cheeto) is so very gross, and then hearing them chew even with their mouth closed can be gross. Quarantine hasn't been all bad, I've got to say.

What are yours?

• Agree
Reactions: dosry5

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
A new one for me. People where I live (Newport, RI) will stop their car in the middle of the road to let cars trying to make a turn on in. This isn't a case where there are a row of cars and a car will stop early to prevent an intersection from being blocked, they stop and hold up traffic to let that one car in. Drives me nuts!

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I hate the passive aggressive complain/eyeroll by customers (to you) at businesses.
Like if you can just tell the customer is an uppity piece of work and they are struggling/not being nice the the clerk/worker and they say/do something to try and get your affirmation, when you just want to tell them to stop being a **** to the worker.

Reactions: Angie

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I hate the passive aggressive complain/eyeroll by customers (to you) at businesses.
Like if you can just tell the customer is an uppity piece of work and they are struggling/not being nice the the clerk/worker and they say/do something to try and get your affirmation, when you just want to tell them to stop being a **** to the worker.
I hate my wife’s sighs when I ask her help with something. Gotten to the point that I rarely ask her help if I think that is what I’m getting first.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Perfect topic for the week I have had at work. I do IT support and a big pet peeve of mine are people that think if they constantly try calling, instant message, or email you about their issue that you'll just drop everything you are doing and make them your top priority at that given moment. In my world people that do that usually get on the sh-- list of annoying people that you usually won't do favors for and makes it less likely I am going to move you up in my list of people I am helping that day who have just as big of an issue if not worse than yours. It's as if they think we just sit around with nothing to do and can help them out on demand when reality is I can have as many as 12 or more people I have assigned that day that range from their device is dead in the water to some petty setting or annoyance they are complaining about that really isn't affecting their ability to get work done so the priority goes to the people who can't work at all first and have been patiently waiting their turn in our work queue.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Echo hearing people eating, especially smacking lips. But even if the mouth is closed, and I can hear food sloshing around in someone's mouth.

Another one is super long work emails where the author is basically just stroking their ego by adding in so many details to show how much they know around the subject without actually pinpointing the subject.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Perfect topic for the week I have had at work. I do IT support and a big pet peeve of mine are people that think if they constantly try calling, instant message, or email you about their issue that you'll just drop everything you are doing and make them your top priority at that given moment. In my world people that do that usually get on the sh-- list of annoying people that you usually won't do favors for and makes it less likely I am going to move you up in my list of people I am helping that day who have just as big of an issue if not worse than yours. It's as if they think we just sit around with nothing to do and can help them out on demand when reality is I can have as many as 12 or more people I have assigned that day that range from their device is dead in the water to some petty setting or annoyance they are complaining about that really isn't affecting their ability to get work done so the priority goes to the people who can't work at all first and have been patiently waiting their turn in our work queue.
I have people that will open a ticket and then email or IM me to let me know they just opened a ticket. The system already sends an email when a ticket is created. As if I am just sitting around waiting for them to request something.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
We've got two different threads from @madguy30 today (thanks so much!). Here's the first one:

Pet peeves, or pet peeves that you really have no way of getting around - what are the worst of the worst.

I hate hearing people chew. It's one of the worst sounds in the world. It's at its worst when people leave their mouth open while chewing, but usually people don't do that in polite society. However, hearing others bite into a crunchy food (like an apple or a Cheeto) is so very gross, and then hearing them chew even with their mouth closed can be gross. Quarantine hasn't been all bad, I've got to say.

What are yours?
Yes, people chewing with their mouths open. It seems to be especially prevalent with kids in the 7-12 age bracket. C'mon parents, get that addressed!

• Winner
Reactions: Angie