Random Thoughts 14: I can see clearly now 2020 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
So my Weather Channel app says 47 for Sunday, 44 for Monday.

Definitely going to be breaking out the sweaters, and I'm afraid the heavy coat might need to come into play, not just the Columbia fleece.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
So my Weather Channel app says 47 for Sunday, 44 for Monday.

Definitely going to be breaking out the sweaters, and I'm afraid the heavy coat might need to come into play, not just the Columbia fleece.

Don't forget to disconnect your outdoor hoses. If you have a hose full of water and we get a hard freeze, it won't be good.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
Just noticed that India is knocking on the door step of China for total population. I didn't realize that they were only a couple percent less in total population.
We have several employees from India. They are very smart and super polite. Two of them are from Chennai (pop 4.4 mil), the fifth largest city. BTW they still have a caste system, and parents still pick out the spouse for their children. The first time they meet, they have to decide yea or nay -- one of our guys met with his bride-to-be for about an hour before they got engaged.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
We have several employees from India. They are very smart and super polite. Two of them are from Chennai (pop 4.4 mil), the fifth largest city. BTW they still have a caste system, and parents still pick out the spouse for their children. The first time they meet, they have to decide yea or nay -- one of our guys met with his bride-to-be for about an hour before they got engaged.

I've seen a couple of movies and such that depicted how there's a huge change between generations with this kind of stuff and that's also happened in other spots that have similar traditions.

Just kind of interesting how it happens as it's easy to get caught up in thinking it's an American thing to 'rebel'.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
I've seen a couple of movies and such that depicted how there's a huge change between generations with this kind of stuff and that's also happened in other spots that have similar traditions.

Just kind of interesting how it happens as it's easy to get caught up in thinking it's an American thing to 'rebel'.
I know that one of our employees (woman) wants to marry another that works for us, but her father is dead against it because he is of a lower caste than her.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Typing with a bandaid on your fingertip is challenging
Middle finger tip on my left hand is still tender after the hematocrit blood test prior to donating blood last Friday. Now they use the little plunger thing to get the needle in the finger, and PRESS AND HOLD IT DOWN FOR SEVERAL SECONDS! Don't know why they have to do that instead of just poking it and getting their drop of blood. It hurts.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Thank you all for the birthday wishes. Spent the evening (well that one hour after the kids go down at least) looking at our annual insurance enrollment options. Living it up big.

Also found out that I have lost just shy of ten pounds so that was nice.

do4CY

Aug 30, 2020
My brother in law has been over there for work a few times, to Hyderabad which is around 10 mil people. He is left handed so he got made fun of especially when eating because a lot of people in the lower castes use that hand to wipe their butt.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Back when I was still gainfully employed, co-worker flew home to India for a "vacation" and returned several weeks later with his new wife. We didn't even know it was in the works. We thought he was a permanent bachelor (he was in his mid thirties). He had never met her in person, although they had skyped.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Thank you all for the birthday wishes. Spent the evening (well that one hour after the kids go down at least) looking at our annual insurance enrollment options. Living it up big.

Also found out that I have lost just shy of ten pounds so that was nice.
Wait until you're a senior...every birthday is preceeded by a month of Medicare supplemental plan junk mail. Oh well, we shred them & use them for fire starter all winter. ;)

PS: Happy birthday, late. I forgot to post it earlier... ;(
PPS: Great start on the weight loss! :D

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012

I can't decide if that makes the first "date" more or less stressful. I could see an argument for both sides.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Middle finger tip on my left hand is still tender after the hematocrit blood test prior to donating blood last Friday. Now they use the little plunger thing to get the needle in the finger, and PRESS AND HOLD IT DOWN FOR SEVERAL SECONDS! Don't know why they have to do that instead of just poking it and getting their drop of blood. It hurts.
Last time I gave blood (August) they still used the same finger poke device as usual. Just a quick stab and that's it.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I can't decide if that makes the first "date" more or less stressful. I could see an argument for both sides.
Will admit that if that was done here, I probably would not be married to my wife. I seemed to date the hot messes early on. Loud and opinionated (basically a female version of myself), my wife isn’t. Some were so nuts that I they even scared me at times. I was also one that most didn’t want their parents to meet.

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012
Will admit that if that was done here, I probably would not be married to my wife. I seemed to date the hot messes early on. Loud and opinionated (basically a female version of myself), my wife isn’t. Some were so nuts that I they even scared me at times. I was also one that most didn’t want their parents to meet.

It certainly would be interesting if it were possible to go back and see who I would have been paired up with if we practiced this match making system here. I can pretty confidently say I wouldn't be with my wife either if for no other reason than simple logistics. I just don't see how our paths/families would have matched up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron