Random Thoughts 14: I can see clearly now 2020 edition

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
I can't decide if that makes the first "date" more or less stressful. I could see an argument for both sides.
DH and I were married one year to the day after our first date. Our parents were not involved with that date, and didn't even meet each other until about three months before the wedding. Thank goodness we can make our own decisions here.

• Agree
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012
DH and I were married one year to the day after our first date. Our parents were not involved with that date, and didn't even meet each other until about three months before the wedding. Thank goodness we can make our own decisions here.

I completely agree. My wife and I were engaged about 6 or 7 months after we met, and it only took that long because I had to wait for the ring to be made and try to figure out the perfect way to pop the question. I still kinda botched the proposal in my opinion, but she said yes so that's what matters. We met in September and we could have been engaged and married by the end of the year if we really wanted to. As I mentioned previously, I never would have met her if our parents could choose our spouses, but it would still be interesting to know how it would have played out if we did things that way in our culture.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Will admit that if that was done here, I probably would not be married to my wife. I seemed to date the hot messes early on. Loud and opinionated (basically a female version of myself), my wife isn’t. Some were so nuts that I they even scared me at times. I was also one that most didn’t want their parents to meet.
My father absolutely agreed to the match with my first husband (of 16 years), and was actively upset when I divorced my PhD "meal ticket". He didn't understand my attraction to Lew at first (although both of my sisters saw it the first time they met him). Lew is incredibly smart, and skilled at figuring things out, from wiring a building to sewing satin bridesmaid dresses to teaching himself the stock market to stripping & rebuilding engines on stock cars. He can do pretty much anything he sets his mind to. But he never went to college. And my father couldn't understand that. I should mention that Lew & I are approaching our 26th anniversary, and I've never been happier.

Clearly parents do NOT always know best when it comes to their children should marry. :D

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
My father absolutely agreed to the match with my first husband (of 16 years), and was actively upset when I divorced my PhD "meal ticket". He didn't understand my attraction to Lew at first (although both of my sisters saw it the first time they met him). Lew is incredibly smart, and skilled at figuring things out, from wiring a building to sewing satin bridesmaid dresses to teaching himself the stock market to stripping & rebuilding engines on stock cars. He can do pretty much anything he sets his mind to. But he never went to college. And my father couldn't understand that. I should mention that Lew & I are approaching our 26th anniversary, and I've never been happier.

Clearly parents do NOT always know best when it comes to their children should marry. :D
Lew is like my dad was. Mechanical genius but dropped of school start of 10th grade since he was the son who helped on the farm.

Reactions: ImJustKCClone

CycloneRulzzz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Just came across news that the actress who played the housekeeper on 2 and a half men, Conchata Ferrell passed away at 77. :confused:

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
So my Weather Channel app says 47 for Sunday, 44 for Monday.

Definitely going to be breaking out the sweaters, and I'm afraid the heavy coat might need to come into play, not just the Columbia fleece.

Welp that'll be the end of my tomatoes. That last cold snap I covered them with a couple of tarps and they came thru it really well.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Tonight the vixen and I begin bringing our plants and flowers inside. The geraniums and hibiscus plants for sure, and I imagine next week I'll be cutting back quite a of stuff in the yard. Even though fall is my favorite season, it's always kind of sad when the flowers disappear. (And I'll miss our hummingbirds, too.)

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
Lew is like my dad was. Mechanical genius but dropped of school start of 10th grade since he was the son who helped on the farm.
My dad too, only he quit after 8th grade. He would switch back and forth from my grandparents farm to my aunt and uncle's farm in Wisconsin, as the truant officers tried to chase him down. Possibly the smartest person mechanically that I've ever met.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
My dad too, only he quit after 8th grade. He would switch back and forth from my grandparents farm to my aunt and uncle's farm in Wisconsin, as the truant officers tried to chase him down. Possibly the smartest person mechanically that I've ever met.

My dad told me about a story about him and a buddy skipping school and trying to hitchhike to a different town. Half a mile out of town someone picked them up......the superintendent was on his way too and took them back to school.

The story about dad dropping out was that he dropped out because of my grandpa passing away. I never really questioned it until well after his death. They farmed 400-500 acres back in the 30s/40s, so it was a decent sized operation for its day. I realized that the year of death for grandpa was about the year dad would have graduated. I asked mom, and all I got was a confused look, guessing she never put those two bits together either.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Lew graduated high school, but he grew up as a middle child of 10 kids, in a poor family that moved a lot and didn't really value education. Everything he has learned has been on his own power. I don't know that he would have necessarily done well in college back then - he was pretty restless. He's still a little rough around the edges (and I like him that way).

Reactions: oldman

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Lew graduated high school, but he grew up as a middle child of 10 kids, in a poor family that moved a lot and didn't really value education. Everything he has learned has been on his own power. I don't know that he would have necessarily done well in college back then - he was pretty restless. He's still a little rough around the edges (and I like him that way).
KC likes it rough??? ;)

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Bumping the thread so the mods don't close it down. (Or is that the goal?)

21 hours since the last post.....that has to be some kind of record.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Watched the "new" Pet Semetary last night with Mrs. Velo. I don't think I had ever seen all of the original. Now I am going to have to read the book since I can't imagine King leaving the ending like that.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Watched the "new" Pet Semetary last night with Mrs. Velo. I don't think I had ever seen all of the original. Now I am going to have to read the book since I can't imagine King leaving the ending like that.
Never watched the new one. I guess I should to see what happens at the ending. I remember the ending from the book.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Guy running for the house needs advertising help. Routinely has the same ad playing 3 times in a row. Also they are all about career politicians, the other guy is new also. Maybe at least have three different commercials or spread them out over the hour.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
I wish there was a button or switch to skip all political advertising on radio, TV and internet for those of us who have already voted. Even before that, I wanted to throw things at the television. Everything is so repetitious and general, it grates on my true journalism background. Many years ago when we moved into a house where the previous owners had just stopped paying their mortgage :) there were boxes of books in the attic. I found a small one titled "How to Lie with Statistics" and wondered why those who knew how to do that would want to share their secrets with the world. Wish I still had that book. I'd like to know who wrote it.

Status
Not open for further replies.