*** Official Louisiana VS #23 IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Eisworth says "We need more self-reflection".

On my goodness.

These guys get worshiped WAY to much.

They sound like the basketball team after a big loss.

I'm always amused that people think that 20 year olds should know exactly what to tell the media.

• Winner
Reactions: Skyh13 and Lineup

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Here's the LA punt return for the TD. The returner has already caught the ball and is just starting to run upfield. Could you ever imagine in your wildest dreams imagine this would be going for a TD?? Two ISU players bearing down on him immediately. He splits them. Okay, but then there's two more ISU players after that coming at him with no LA players to block them either.... but yet he somehow goes basically untouched for a TD.

1600013682119.png

• Winner
Reactions: cstrunk

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Not to downplay how poorly we seemed to be prepared for this game, but upon reflection I can remember looking at the ESPN win percentages prior to game time and they were giving Louisiana better than 20% chance to win. That's on the road against a ranked team. This wasn't a cupcake game by any stretch. We probably have similar odds as the underdog against Oklahoma this year.

This wasn't as big an upset as people want to act like it is in hindsight. Enjoy your Sunday folks.
I agree the level of upset wasn't huge. But all other casual college football fans, namely hawk fans who just couldn't resist blowing up my phone all aftenoon, saw yesterday was a ranked ISU losing at home to an unranked team with a confusing name from the Sun Belt Conference. These are games that Campbell shouldn't be losing. It is only SLIGHTLY less embarrassing than losing to UNI or NDSU.

• Agree
Reactions: CyBobby

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Here's the LA punt return for the TD. The returner has already caught the ball and is just starting to run upfield. Could you ever imagine in your wildest dreams imagine this would be going for a TD?? Two ISU players bearing down on him immediately. He splits them. Okay, but then there's two more ISU players after that coming at him with no LA players to block them either.... but yet he somehow goes basically untouched for a TD.

View attachment 75479

As soon as he got by that first wave I knew he'd at least cross the 50.

Why is Mike Rose on the kick off coverage team? Am I missing something where he's as fast as he was two seasons ago?

Aren't 'speed' guys usually thrown out there to close the gaps?

Reactions: Neptune78

iowastatefan1929

Oct 26, 2006
one note about our kick coverage
new kicker kicks line drives and they catch at 5
louisiana kicker kicks them higher and we catch at 2

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
one note about our kick coverage
new kicker kicks line drives and they catch at 5
louisiana kicker kicks them higher and we catch at 2

I'm not sure if Ogamba was putting his full leg into his kicks so maybe the location is the plan.

BTW he's got some arms. Anyone know his speed and hands?

Darius Bieber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 22, 2017
San Antonio, TX
As expected, we’re out of the AP 25. Louisiana got ranked at 19 after their win.

only team that played that dropped out of rankings.

Last edited:

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
A few years ago we played ball-control. Last year and today....I have no idea what we are trying to do. It’s a random selection of odd plays, there’s no rhythm or meaning behind any of it, and it’s hard to watch.

Manning doesn’t know how to call a game.

Mr Farminclone...Were you around for the 1975 football season under coach Earle Bruce? The fanbase wanted poor Earle FIRED ....because....Earle's ground oriented Ball Control Offense lost 7 games.......Clone fans me included didnt have to worry about passing to receivers.....On the ground baby......

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
A few years ago we played ball-control. Last year and today....I have no idea what we are trying to do. It’s a random selection of odd plays, there’s no rhythm or meaning behind any of it, and it’s hard to watch.

Manning doesn’t know how to call a game.

We might be undervaluing the offensive skill players from 2017.

You can control things better when you have lots of options. Does ISU have this kind of a situation now? Did they last year?

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Thinking about this today... Josh Allen is leading BUF in rushing yards and attempts, ~5/carry. It's a little biased due to playing the Jets, but still. We could emulate the way BUF uses Allen. It would fit Purdy's skillset.

Other alternative: Vikings offense last year, heavily based on PA and bootlegs/rollout passing. That would also fit Purdy, as well as potentially hide OL deficiencies with the rollouts.

Big Buds

Aug 25, 2020
Most frustrating is we got beat up front by what should by all accounts be an inferior team with inferior athletes, inferior coaches, inferior facilities etc. We got beat on both sides of the ball up front. It seems as though we really don't have better talent than a Sun Belt team. A good Sun Belt team. But that's like saying we went home with the hottest fat chick after last call. I'm feeling hopelessness for the program, feelings I haven't felt since Rhoads final days.
The Louisiana football facilities, minus the stadium, are easily on a the same level as most top P5 programs. Do some research and see for yourself.

I can’t stress enough the talent in the state of Louisiana. We were flat out faster in all areas than ISU.

• Agree
Reactions: CyBobby

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Thinking about this today... Josh Allen is leading BUF in rushing yards and attempts, ~5/carry. It's a little biased due to playing the Jets, but still. We could emulate the way BUF uses Allen. It would fit Purdy's skillset.

Other alternative: Vikings offense last year, heavily based on PA and bootlegs/rollout passing. That would also fit Purdy, as well as potentially hide OL deficiencies with the rollouts.

Also give receivers shorter routes at different levels to just get a catch and work from there instead of trying to force chemistry and timing 15 yards down field from the pocket.

Reactions: SolarGarlic

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
The full game is on Youtube.

I actually had to fast forward from when the ball was set to when ISU's players got set for the next play.

ISU might have been able to just line up and rush forward and been more effective.

The pass game still had times when 1 receiver is actually downfield, or multiple receivers are way further than needed vs. down and distance. The last 3rd and 5 was a great example. You need 6 yards there, not 20.