*** Official Louisiana VS #23 IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
I’ve never seen a team look to the sidelines more for a play call. It’s almost like the staff doesn’t know what to do and has no confidence in the players. No rhythm. Keeps the offense out of sink.

True; at least we didn't have a delay of game flag.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
We play ball control because that’s the way CMC likes it.
Well .... what should we have done? Before Downing got hurt, our best plays were Hall running the ball. The receivers could not get open, and Purdy was clearly not sharp - for whatever reason. We might have done better to run every play. (Somewhat kidding with that last comment, but.....) Our passing game was a huge disaster yesterday. However, a better throw to Ackers might have changed the game.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Remember how fun it was to watch Purdy when he first came on the scene? It almost seems like he’s been coached into being conservative and treating games like NFL tryouts instead of trying to win games at all costs.

It certainly seems like easy first down runs have been taken away from his options.
I don't care what down it is if he sees ten yards of clear space, he has to go.

Chipper

Dec 8, 2008
Well .... what should we have done? Before Downing got hurt, our best plays were Hall running the ball. The receivers could not get open, and Purdy was clearly not sharp - for whatever reason. We might have done better to run every play. (Somewhat kidding with that last comment, but.....) Our passing game was a huge disaster yesterday. However, a better throw to Ackers might have changed the game.

I think the problem is they don't know how to handle Purdy when he's not sharp. They still kept calling routes with 10 yard outs etc. Use some RB, TE and WR screens. Hell, even a "pop-pass"....

I think they fall into a pit of arrogance in thinking they can run over these inferior teams. So game week, the game plan install is likely simple. Doesn't feature much of those screens etc. That's why they can't switch to it mid-game...

Reactions: AlaCyclone

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Purdy has to run the ball enough to keep the defense honest if we are to win games and be competitive. If he gets hurt he gets hurt. I watched game after game yesterday and see QB's running the ball left and right on zone reads, but not us.
Last year we started with Purdy refusing to hand the ball off, and everyone was flowing to him. Yesterday was the exact opposite, instead of riding the mesh point and keeping it around the corner, he gave it to hall every time but once.
There were at least 3 times running to the left Purdy would have got large gains just by keeping the ball and turning the corner.

Manning needs to sit down today and watch some college games and see how they use jet motion, and shifting to confuse the defense, and get favorable matchups for the offense. I loved the game plan by Coastal Florida last night against KU, wonder if the OC would be willing to join ISU next season and we fire Manning.

Reactions: Neptune78

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I think the problem is they don't know how to handle Purdy when he's not sharp. They still kept calling routes with 10 yard outs etc. Use some RB, TE and WR screens. Hell, even a "pop-pass"....

I think they fall into a pit of arrogance in thinking they can run over these inferior teams. So game week, the game plan install is likely simple. Doesn't feature much of those screens etc. That's why they can't switch to it mid-game...

ISU doesn't have the receivers to run screens and doesn't have the personnell to block for them.

Go back and look at how good Lazard and Co. were at blocking and really how talented the receiving group was in 2017.

That was best football ISU has played under CMC and it's either evened out or gotten worse since.

Lots of talk about fundamentals from him. That's stuff that needs to start from Day 1 as habits and then worked on as the season goes on, not just something you fix between games.

Chipper

Dec 8, 2008
ISU doesn't have the receivers to run screens and doesn't have the personnell to block for them.

Go back and look at how good Lazard and Co. were at blocking and really how talented the receiving group was in 2017.

That was best football ISU has played under CMC and it's either evened out or gotten worse since.

Lots of talk about fundamentals from him. That's stuff that needs to start from Day 1 as habits and then worked on as the season goes on, not just something you fix between games.

I think O-Line has the first step down (letting D-Line get upfield)...

cb1030

Oct 6, 2017
Not to downplay how poorly we seemed to be prepared for this game, but upon reflection I can remember looking at the ESPN win percentages prior to game time and they were giving Louisiana better than 20% chance to win. That's on the road against a ranked team. This wasn't a cupcake game by any stretch. We probably have similar odds as the underdog against Oklahoma this year.

This wasn't as big an upset as people want to act like it is in hindsight. Enjoy your Sunday folks.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
If this doesn't fire the team up to never play a game like that again, I don't know what will.

It would be nice to get another shot at them in a bowl game, if there are bowl games. Prior to yesterday, I was hoping for a bigger bowl but now any bowl works.

Reactions: Neptune78

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
So pessimistic view, we looked like hot trash that spent the whole offseason doing sudoku... optimistic take so did at least 3 other big 12 teams.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
The Big 10 announcing football is coming back today would be the ultimate shot to the groin after yesterday.

• Dumb
Reactions: cycloneG

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
The Big 10 announcing football is coming back today would be the ultimate shot to the groin after yesterday.
Why? I couldn't care less what they do or don't do. ISU is playing football, we know that for sure even if it wasn't the best football yesterday.

Last edited: