Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
We've been season subscribers to Stephens series almost as long as we've lived in Ames. In fact, the opportunity to attend music, drama and other shows was a very big reason we wanted to someday live in Ames. That didn't at all negate our enthusiasm for athletics. We've had season FB tickets since the early 80s, and added WBB, MBB, volleyball and wrestling since moving to Ames 18 years ago.

Renovations and updates in Stephens started several years ago, including a new green room, new restroom, removal of seats to allow a walkway from one side of the auditorium to the other, new railings in the loges, wheelchair seating in the center area of the auditorium. Is it perfect? No. Is it better than it was? Absolutely.

I would ask people to not think about Stephen Auditorium as just another building. Even if you aren't a fan of the music, drama, etc. cultural arts, it does draw attention and interest and donors and ticket-buyers. We have heard performers of all talents rave onstage about the beauty of the building and its acoustics, and the audiences that pay to hear, see and appreciate them.

"Today's standards" seems to me to say someone's desired looks. If there are building issues with not meeting code, that would have been explicitly stated. I think we always see what we want to see and try to find words that support our beliefs and opinions. I am no different.

I understand the basics of not having enough money to do what you want. Please, though, let's not rob Peter to pay Paul just to say we made ends meet.

FOREVERTRUE

Sep 18, 2017
It is sad that C.Y Stephens is in disrepair. It was named the Iowa building of the century several years ago. But it was decided to have all the buildings of the Iowa State Center fall under AD operation. It is not surprising that the AD built sports facilities and did not maintain an auditorium.

Performing arts facilities often require a tremendous influx of cash donations or other supports to stay afloat. It seems to me that this pandemic is giving everyone an education in economics.

Been discussed earlier in the thread that it fell to the AD last year. Do you really think that one year of maintenance issues is the cause of the condition it is in now?

• Winner
Reactions: aauummm and cygrads

ironsam

Nov 20, 2009
I can't imagine what some of you are going to do if the entire season has to be canceled?

This is a pandemic folks. Yes... sports may not ever be the same again because of this and how we've f'ed it up. Life will probably never be the same. It's time to put on big boy pants and start living with that very possible reality.

We all couldn't do what we had to do for a couple months this summer, and now it has come home to roost. Just wait for flu season to hit on top of this.... in addition to all the kids that have just gone back to school.

We had our chance, but people just HAD to live life like nothing happened and believe it was all just a hoax. You can deal with it, or you can call people names..... your choice.

After a couple of months the virus would still be around, without a cure.

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
They could easily find financing to get through this year and probably even next year, but then they wouldn't get to make cuts that they need/want to make anyways.

If it was stuff they were looking to do anyway, then I get that.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Maybe JP has seen the number of requests to defer until next year and sees the writing on the wall that with a drastic reduction in attendance, while having fans, it simply won't be enough. These decisions have real impacts to people's lives and livelihoods.

That could be, but in two the emails previous to today's budget email, they went out of their way to remind people they could still opt out. I thought that seemed strange, but then I figured maybe they wanted to get season ticket numbers down a bit further, as somewhat smaller crowds would be more palatable from a PR standpoint.

That's what made me think today's email was a bit more political in nature.

3rdCoastClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 15, 2017
Gulf Coast of Texas
They wouldn't have had to close Stephen's if Pollard hadn't been greedy and took if over. He must've really hated it when people parked in his parking lots to go to a show at Stephen's. I guess he will have his way now.
When the time comes, people like you will help JP make his decision to retire much easier.

Last edited:

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
60,000 tickets times $100 each would raise half of the projected cost of the loss of fans at football games, according to Jamie's figures of $12.5 million. #### I spend that on food and parking for 1 game.

• Agree
Reactions: Macloney

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Is there any opportunity or any navigation IRT higher TV ratings? I know the 60k is a drop in the bucket... but with 2 major conferences out ... TV views will most certainly be way up, right?

Does that impact anything?

And then ... if there is a BCS playoff .. how much does ISU recieve for 1 Big12 team, two? If they are in it?

I agree with you on this, with the B1G and PAC out the extra games by the remaining conferences should be bringing in extra revenue.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
One part that would concern me about CY- covid wise would be the number of handrails and I know that surfaces aren't nearly as concerning as air droplets. Just stating that.

Is there somewhere you can rent that is more "flat?" Somewhere like the old Seven Flags in Clive?

And now we know who owns that event center;)

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
C.Y. Stephens wasn't a top facility 25 years ago. I can only imagine what it's like today.

Maybe it's best to let that building go.

I guess I don't know what your expecting is it new no, is it structurally ok? I believe so I haven't heard otherwise.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
60,000 tickets times $100 each would raise half of the projected cost of the loss of fans at football games, according to Jamie's figures of $12.5 million. #### I spend that on food and parking for 1 game.

Agree and my crew would spend 3x that on beer if we could buy it inside. We drop cash at Chiefs games. For some reason, after tailgating for hours we get impulsive and spend money like we are too drunk to care.

Throw in some betting windows and they would make their cash back in games, not years.

• Dumb
Reactions: 3rdCoastClone

cysmiley

Jun 30, 2012
Been discussed earlier in the thread that it fell to the AD last year. Do you really think that one year of maintenance issues is the cause of the condition it is in now?
I totally agree that maintenance issues are not the fault of the AD. The University has had management companies operating c.y. for far too long, taking out their fees leaving little for maintenance. But as has been noted, the building is still safe and operational and seems to meet ada requirements and is still aestically acceptable, albeit without some of the gizmos some modern performing arts centers have. I don't think it will take 25-50 million to continue to have music department concerts, dance competitions (as had been detailed by a client in this thread) state HS competitions, Spring music department events and some regional concerts and shows. To do some of the multimedia, major touring attractions want, yes it would take that type of investment, but for those shows, you will be directly competing with the Civic Center. That is the point I was trying to make.

Reactions: itsbuck and NWICY

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Have you been to CY Stephens lately? It's kinda of a dump. Not saying it should close but it needs a big influx of money.

None of that would surprise me. But it is still a big part of the history and culture of Iowa State and Ames. Seeing it go would be sad.

It does not have the flashy bells and whistles of more modern venues, but the natural acoustics of the place are world-class to this day.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I think C.Y. would be fine normally and JP would likely have great plans to make improvements but under a budget deficit it is hard to justify this

“The revenues generated from community members attending performing arts at C.Y. Stephens' are simply not enough to cover the costs of facility operations. The university has been subsidizing operations at Stephens' Auditorium at nearly $1M annually.”

It may take a couple of years for the Athletic Department to recover from this year.

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
None of that would surprise me. But it is still a big part of the history and culture of Iowa State and Ames. Seeing it go would be sad.

It does not have the flashy bells and whistles of more modern venues, but the natural acoustics of the place are world-class to this day.
The proposed entertainment district with a hotel would do wonders for Stephens. Their biggest issue is that they can’t compete with Des Moines venues for acts. I think that making that area of town could make it a “destination” for concert and show goers and that could help attract more acts. Plus, with Scheman, a hotel entertainment district would make more events come to Ames.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

Similar to the thread where you posted the letter from the Civil War soldier, acoustics don't matter if you have a shiny video board. There isn't a lot wrong with C.Y. if you go to a concert there it's really easy to have a good time there. Mothballing it until they can sell concert tickets might be an ok thing to do, but I would think generating some revenues would be better than none unless you have to keep to many full time people around.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
How about JP selling season tickets to all the seats to all the games, with fans fully understanding that they may not be able to go to games? If something changes and some people can go to games, then you have a lottery to see who can go. Fans would like to go to the games, but this might be a way for the athletic department to survive.

I wonder how Iowa is doing all this without even playing games.