Pollard Details Recommended Cuts

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Everyone has their own reasons for attending college, but it is an established fact that schools who have athletic programs, especially successfull ones, see a boost in enrollment.

Why is a bigger school better? That is my fundamental question.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
This isn't written very clearly. The difference between a $17.5M deficit and a $30M deficit is roughly equal to 25K fans in the stands for 6 games. His letter is written as if it has been decided there will be no fans at all, thus setting in motion a series of consequences - when just last night they sent an email saying they hope to have fans for every game starting with Oklahoma.

It could just be very clumsily written or it could be political in nature. I'm inclined to believe the latter given CW's reaction on Twitter.
Maybe JP has seen the number of requests to defer until next year and sees the writing on the wall that with a drastic reduction in attendance, while having fans, it simply won't be enough. These decisions have real impacts to people's lives and livelihoods.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Why is a bigger school better? That is my fundamental question.
Are there actually schools that want fewer applicants? It doesn't mean you have to accept every student that applies.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
So a GOFUNDME won't work? I just don't see how you cannot issue some sort of debt at a decent rate with a maturity out there ways and not be able to pay that off over time.

They could easily find financing to get through this year and probably even next year, but then they wouldn't get to make cuts that they need/want to make anyways.

• Dumb
Reactions: 3rdCoastClone

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
Have you been to CY Stephens lately? It's kinda of a dump. Not saying it should close but it needs a big influx of money.
It is sad that C.Y Stephens is in disrepair. It was named the Iowa building of the century several years ago. But it was decided to have all the buildings of the Iowa State Center fall under AD operation. It is not surprising that the AD built sports facilities and did not maintain an auditorium.

Performing arts facilities often require a tremendous influx of cash donations or other supports to stay afloat. It seems to me that this pandemic is giving everyone an education in economics.

Cyclonefan710

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2012
I look at the $ I have spent for my 6 tickets for Football as a sunk cost. The cash is gone and it is not affecting my lifestyle. I am going to contribute what I paid for those tickets to NCC. It is $3,000, but every little bit helps! I might even give the NCC more to reflect that I am not going to be paying for 7-8 airplane trips from Florida to go to the football games this year.

If all footballs fans that feel strongly about football and can afford to contribute the 2020 ticket money, it will help cut the $30 million back down at least a little closer to the original $17.5 million.

I know JP pretty well and I think the only purpose of his letter today was to make sure every fan that has the resources to help, starts thinking in terms of what part of the solution are they going to be. If you don't think Wendy didn't sign off on the letter today then you don't know JP very well.

I would expect the future Hilton project to be delayed, but will be expanded to include CY Stephens. Just have to raise more money.

It is time to quit arguing about how this happened and who's fault it is, and concentrate how ISU, including the Athletic Department, can get through these trying times.

Yeah no thanks. I’m not going to contribute in enabling this type of panic behavior. You want keep fans out of games fine then bring on the layoffs and cutting of sports teams.

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
Never understood why concerts fall under Jamie’s jurisdiction. As people have mentioned, he is the reason Hilton doesn’t get concerts anymore. I get Des Moines makes more sense but to think back on all the great concerts and know we won’t see those types of acts in Ames again makes me sad
Ames didn’t have to compete with Des Moines back then. People didn’t go to Omaha or Kansas City like they do now for a concert

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

cysmiley

Jun 30, 2012
Have you been to CY Stephens lately? It's kinda of a dump. Not saying it should close but it needs a big influx of money.
Not my experience last fall, and itsbuck (a client of CY) seemed to think otherwise. Of course, maybe your expectations are very high. True, they do not have any huge LCD panel screens to create electronic displays/sets, nor do the have a computer controlled movable light system for concerts (there's quite a few millions), but they still have some of the best accoustics in the world.

Reactions: itsbuck and NWICY

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Ames didn’t have to compete with Des Moines back then. People didn’t go to Omaha or Kansas City like they do now for a concert

Ding....This has been one of the bigger revenue declines..Concerts. I remember 20-25 years ago nearly every month there would be some huge concert at Jack TRice or CY St....U2, Stones, Mccartney i think... Hilton used to have some great concerts too...

Most of that went away with Wells Fargo Arena..

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
I think the reason the University gave the rest of the ISC over to the AD last year was because of the financial strain on the university. Pollard is a proven fundraiser and had a plan to generate revenue and bring people in with the Entertainment District idea. Nobody saw the pandemic coming.

I wonder how much the blow will be softened if we have some fans (maybe 25%) at the remaining games or of they already know fans won't be allowed.

Last edited:
Reactions: CY74

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
C.Y. Stephens wasn't a top facility 25 years ago. I can only imagine what it's like today.

Maybe it's best to let that building go.
CY had some construction problems years ago. Settling prevented some doors from opening and closing properly. And the building is haunted