heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
This is a bummer but was kind of expected. Things have been rough in the state for the last couple of weeks. I love the idea of being proactive, keeping fans out by our choice rather than something bad happening and us having no say. It opens up the possibility that we could still get fans at some point. While that door is just barely still cracked, reacting after the 13th would have slammed it shut. It seems like an abrupt change but this still goes along with what JP has said along, that we would be constantly evaluating the situation until kickoff.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Meanwhile in the CF forums:

giphy.gif

dunar

Aug 31, 2007
West Des Moines, IA
or you can wait and see. I bet there are fans in October.

I'm holding out hope. The email had opt out instructions, but no deadline. I'm still in to attend in person, but if we're still at no fans half way in, that's a premium on the tickets. If they'd gone with the 3 game/25% option, I would have thought longer and harder about deferring to 2021. And the "if you don't defer and we don't allow fans, your ticket purchase becomes a NCC donation" that was in an earlier communication doesn't sit well with me. I can't even deduct that "donation" on my taxes anymore... Maybe I should defer and put that money toward a huge TV? Or they could pro-rate tickets to the number of games we actually get to attend and apply the leftover monies to 2021, I would be OK with that.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: JimmyChitwood

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Outdoors, with masks. I'd like to see the long list of medical experts speaking out against large gatherings in outdoor areas over the last 2 months.

"Dr. John Paschen, the chair of the Story County Board of Health, decried the original decision by Iowa State as "irresponsible" on Monday."

• Agree
Reactions: Cy$

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Don't kid yourself. The Karens of the world would have been out in full force at even 25%. You can never appease a mob.
Yea it’s hilarious to me how much issue some had with that extra 15%. Which was probably going to be closer to 10% after a few more opting out. In reality those unhappy really just want no fans at all and not game played because it’s where they stand politically.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
It’s incompetent because if you announce a plan to be a leader you should expect blowback. If you weren’t confident enough in your plan to withstand the blowback you shouldn’t have made it in the first place. We are going to get killed for both sides now for completely flip flopping.
Easy to say when you don't have an entire country watching your every move.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Don't kid yourself. The Karens of the world would have been out in full force at even 25%. You can never appease a mob.

of course. But they would have reason to stick with their decision.

we were allowing a higher % of fans than anyone. By quite a bit. In a state with numbers that are going up.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Yea it’s hilarious to me how much issue some had with that extra 15%. Which was probably going to be closer to 10% opting out. In reality those unhappy really just want no fans at all because it’s where they stand politically.

i bet most that were going to opt out had opted out before Monday.

BCoffClone125

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 19, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
I applaud Wintersteen for reversing course on this. For those saying this is poor leadership, do you prefer leaders who stubbornly won't change their mind or those who own up to their errors and are willing to change? Seems like an obvious answer to me.

If you want to see a poor example of leadership, look at the Big 10 right now. They are too stubborn and proud to admit that they may have jumped the gun on cancelling the season and did a horrible job of being transparent and communicating why they made their decisions.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Yea it’s hilarious to me how much issue some had with that extra 15%. Which was probably going to be closer to 10% after a few more opting out. In reality those unhappy really just want no fans at all and not game played because it’s where they stand politically.

It's not about these arbitrary numbers. What these people can't have is people who don't follow the crowd. They don't want anyone to stand out and make even a slightly different decision. It's all about obedience.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I'm holding out hope. The email had opt out instructions, but no deadline. I'm still in to attend in person, but if we're still at no fans half way in, that's a premium on the tickets. If they'd gone with the 3 game/25% option, I would have thought longer and harder about differing to 2021. And the "if you don't differ and we don't allow fans, your ticket purchase becomes a NCC donation" that was in an earlier communication doesn't sit well with me. I can't even deduct that "donation" on my taxes anymore... Maybe I should differ and put that money toward a huge TV? Or they could pro-rate tickets to the number of games we actually get to attend and apply the leftover monies to 2021, I would be OK with that.

Kansas is offering a receipt saying you receive no benefits if you donate you opt out. I bet Iowa State would do the same thing.

how many people attend every game anyway. I’m going suck this one up and hope for 10-3.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
Which, from a PR perspective, was still a poor move IMO. Had they been at 25%, with 7 other teams in the big 12 also at 25%, there's a lot less pushback and they probably get away with that. When they came out with 40% though, they were put in a place where if they made a change it was going to be to zero. They gambled big and lost.
Was it? We know Pollard likes to be the center of attention and is always pushing for more. Why not go big and if you get push back, you get push back? It's not like they had a bad plan in place. As long as nobody died, they can go backwards. To me, this adds confidence in our athletic department. It says, we will take risks and push limits, but if we go too far, we will own up.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
It's not about these arbitrary numbers. What these people can't have is people who don't follow the crowd. They don't want anyone to stand out and make even a slightly different decision. It's all about obedience.
Link?

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

You do understand that it is not physically possible to social distance, even in groups, with 25k fans in Jack Trice, right?

With 10k you probably could.

The way they had the available seats laid out in that one seating diagram was a complete joke. Not even an open row between fans in some cases, but that's what you have to do if you are allowing 25k in.

Help Support Us

Become a patron