jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
They never should have went with 25,000

Should have followed along and did 25% to start. We tried to lead the nation in attendance for some reason and it backfired.
I don’t think you hear the backlash if they announce 25% which would be around 15k

yep, you don’t want to be the idiots letting in the highest percent in the country when you are in a state where the numbers are going up. Jamie’s mistake was going in at 40%.

luckily, I honestly do think this gives us a better chance to have fans in October.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Doubt the medical experts changed their mind in two days. I have zero problem with no fans and these are tough decisions, but call it what it is.

They didn't. The original call was not in line with any reasonable medical reccomendaton. Having 25,000 fans show up when you're a nationally recognized hotspot and things are so bad you have the bars closed was insanity.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Has there been an outdoor super-spreader event yet, let alone one with mandatory masks?

They never should have had fans in the first place if public input was going to sway the decision. That was always going to happen.

EIClone

Nov 21, 2011
Solon
We had a plan, we set the guidelines, we got a lot of input back from a lot of people. We then evaluated the plan and adjusted accordingly and intelligently. Nothing wrong with that. Jamie said at the original announcement, things could change quickly.

I can live with the decision and still support the Cyclones.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
They never should have went with 25,000

Should have followed along and did 25% to start. We tried to lead the nation in attendance for some reason and it backfired.
I don’t think you hear the backlash if they announce 25% which would be around 15k
20% is about the average being allowed in both the SEC and ACC...not sure why we tried anything different...in our case, 12,500 would have been the number and wouldn't have even sniffed regional media coverage.

• Agree
Reactions: WooBadger18 and jsb

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
The medical experts win. As they should.

This is the right decision by the university.

Agree. ISU was only going to look worse over the next 10 days. In today's "double down" culture where people are more concerned with not looking weak by reversing course than with doing what makes the most sense, this was a good move.

CloneJD

May 14, 2020
Awful leadership by Wintersteen. If you are going to go with an aggressive approach you have to know you will get some blow-back. If you weren't winning to press ahead in the face of that why even bother to try it?

agrabes

Oct 25, 2006
Right decision. I would have felt comfortable with 25% fans which would have allowed for actual space between people, but 25K was too many especially in the current environment. I had tickets and was really debating whether or not I should go. (I won't kid myself, I was probably going unless I was sick or directly exposed to someone who was sick, but I would have felt bad about it.)

Let things die down in Iowa over the next month and I think there's a high chance that by Oct. 3 we can at least have 25%.