Marv14

Feb 4, 2017
What is the magic number of infections before everybody stops worrying about this. Maybe instead of infections, symptomatic or not, we should look at the outcomes to determine severity. Every year infection rates happen with the flue, but nobody cares, unless the numbers are crazy for death. Then we still don't change our behavior. The death numbers are not impactful enough for any of this. People are just more scared and looking for more bubble wrap to put themselves in. If you disagree please tell me who is going to give the all clear and what measurement are they using to determine it. Make that public so we can monitor as a society. The more all these decisions are sketchy and the athletic department changes course indicates the political and legal pressure they are under NOT the health constraints.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
If the athletic department picked and chose which games I could go to, what would even be the point of buying SEASON tickets in the first place?

to attend the most games possible. If they let in fans for some games, I’ll be happy with whatever I get. This is a once in several decades thing. Live with it.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Cy$ and heitclone

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
What numbers changed? They got a lot better if anything. That spike was nothing more than a data outlier due to a change in reporting. But, it clearly allowed for hit pieces by certain organizations to try and pressure ISU.

The 14 day average % positive has increased. No idea if that played a role.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Fans irrelevant. Just play the games. Same for basketball when that time comes.

This is temporary and will eventually pass on. In the meantime, do what needs done to make games happen.
People need to understand no fans is still lost income though.

Reactions: EsTasClone

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
I don’t care about the decision, it’s how they got there that annoys me. It’s embarrassing and I bet Pollards pissed.

He absolutely should be because now he looks a lot more like Kevin Warren. Thanks a LOT boss.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
The 25k announcement on Monday was just blatantly ridiculous, and if neither JP or Wintersteen knew that, then shame on them.

Ames Iowa is one of the largest outbreaks in the world right now. And JP and Wintersteen thought it was a good idea to allow more fans than anyone else in the country is basically? C'mon.... that was just a horrible look.

And today's announcement, even though it is definitely the correct one, now makes Monday's announcement look even more stupid because nothing has changed since Monday, but now you suddenly don't think it's safe to have fans?

This was mishandled from the start, but at least they are going with the correct decision now. That is better than sticking with a horrible and potentially very dangerous decision that shouldn't have been made in the first place.

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
Which, from a PR perspective, was still a poor move IMO. Had they been at 25%, with 7 other teams in the big 12 also at 25%, there's a lot less pushback and they probably get away with that. When they came out with 40% though, they were put in a place where if they made a change it was going to be to zero. They gambled big and lost.

Don't kid yourself. The Karens of the world would have been out in full force at even 25%. You can never appease a mob.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
They didn't. The original call was not in line with any reasonable medical reccomendaton. Having 25,000 fans show up when you're a nationally recognized hotspot and things are so bad you have the bars closed was insanity.
Outdoors, with masks. I'd like to see the long list of medical experts speaking out against large gatherings in outdoor areas over the last 2 months.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
The 25k announcement on Monday was just blatantly ridiculous, and if neither JP or Wintersteen knew that, then shame on them.

Ames Iowa is one of the largest outbreaks in the world right now. And JP and Wintersteen thought it was a good idea to allow more fans than anyone else in the country is basically? C'mon.... that was just a horrible look.

And today's announcement, even though it is definitely the correct one, now makes Monday's announcement look even more stupid because nothing has changed since Monday, but now you suddenly don't think it's safe to have fans?

This was mishandled from the start, but at least they are going with the correct decision now. That is better than sticking with a horrible and potentially very dangerous decision that shouldn't have been made in the first place.

Simply untrue.

• Dumb
Reactions: bawbie