Would you rather be in the big 12 or the big 10?

Big 12 or Big 10?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I smell massive shakeups potentially coming down the pike. let’s consider that either options features would remain in place for the next five years and this would take effect for the 2021 Season.

Would you rather be in the Big 12 as it is currently constituted with the same teams, same round robin formats, same money, Tv deals, etc.

Or would you rather go to the Big Ten as a Nebraska replacement but we have to take the temporary money cut as a new member and we have to go in to the East Division with no special schedule considerations for Iowa?

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
Big 12 is stable, we all agree the round robin format is best in football and basketball, football seems pretty comparable in product after you trim off the fat, definitely a better basketball conference, Big 12 Tournament and other fan settings, and we have rivalries and ties to these schools, etc. And I'm sure people could keep adding to the list.

Under that scenario, I guess I just don't see the need to go through financial and logistical hoops so we can play the likes of Illinois, Indiana, or Rutgers every now and then just to make a little more money (which is potentially a discrepancy that could be done away with soon anyways given the evolving world of streaming and payout structures on cable packages that are becoming more and more obsolete).

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Five years ago, I would have said the Big 10, but I like our current situation. I prefer the Big 12's conference schedule for basketball and football.

Plus, living in KC, I like being close to the Big 12 Basketball Tourney and feeling somewhat connected to most of the teams in the conference (WVU being the noticeable outlier)

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
As long as the big 12 is healthy, stay where we are.

and to be honest, I’d suspect that our state govt would fight to keep us out of the big 10.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I'd take the Big10 for non-athletic reasons. The research dollars associated with the Big10 would help the school more than a change to the football schedule.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
I smell massive shakeups potentially coming down the pike. let’s consider that either options features would remain in place for the next five years and this would take effect for the 2021 Season.

Would you rather be in the Big 12 as it is currently constituted with the same teams, same round robin formats, same money, Tv deals, etc.

Or would you rather go to the Big Ten as a Nebraska replacement but we have to take the temporary money cut as a new member and we have to go in to the East Division with no special schedule considerations for Iowa?

Why would ISU go into the east division in this scenario? They'd be the westernmost school in the conference and would be replacing the team that currently holds that distinction.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
8AWF.gif

• Winner
Reactions: CloneLawman

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Why would ISU go into the east division in this scenario? They'd be the team on the westernmost side of the conference and would be replacing the team that currently holds that distinction.

Because that’s the scenario I chose to use for my poll question to put a little more thought in to the votes.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I like playing in the Big 12, but if the Big 10 offered us a slot, we would be stupid to turn it down. Look at all the away games that would be within an easy driving distance, Minn, UN, NW, Wisc, Ill, NW, and EIU. More money to upgrade facilities and less weather disadvantages for our spring sports teams, they are all in the same boat in the Big 10. Better academics to top it off.

It will never happen, but it would be great if it did, would also open up our non conference schedule to play other P5 teams instead of EIU every year.

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
I like playing in the Big 12, but if the Big 10 offered us a slot, we would be stupid to turn it down. Look at all the away games that would be within an easy driving distance, Minn, UN, NW, Wisc, Ill, NW, and EIU. More money to upgrade facilities and less weather disadvantages for our spring sports teams, they are all in the same boat in the Big 10. Better academics to top it off.

It will never happen, but it would be great if it did, would also open up our non conference schedule to play other P5 teams instead of EIU every year.

Bingo. I would hate losing KSU and KU but love the idea of IL, MN, WI, and Purdue in the same conference. They too are Land Grant Schools so they are naturally a good fit.

Last edited by a moderator:

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Bingo. I would hate losing KSU and KU but love the idea of IL, MN, WI, and Purdue in the same conference. They too are Land Grant Schools so they are naturally a good fit.

We could pick up the Kansas schools for our non conference games each year, play KU one year and then play KSU the next.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
I know today the Big 12 looks more attractive and I love the round robin scheduleing but we are still at the mercy of UT and OU... If they decide to do something drastic like go independent or join SEC or create a super conference they may not bring the north schools with them. If I was guarenteed the Big 12 would stay as it is right now the Big 12 hands down but as we've seen that won't be the case.

The Big 10 has security, aka more money, B1G Network (even if the gametimes are odd) and in the West weaker programs to enhance ISUs and geograpically going to away games more accessable.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
With Campbell I am more comfortable with a move to the B1G (midwest recruiting). Removing TX recruiting will sting ... I am fine with staying in the Big12

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron