Would you rather be in the big 12 or the big 10?

Big 12 or Big 10?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
I just don't like the 14-team B1G. Other than our current coach, I really see no reason why we would be any more successful as a B1G afterthought than UNL was. I like the idea of regional rivalries, but the media attention in the B1G will always be in the Eastern Division. Where the media is, the recruits go.

Reactions: DukeofStratford

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I'd take the Big10 for non-athletic reasons. The research dollars associated with the Big10 would help the school more than a change to the football schedule.
I would love to know how much, if any, research is actually tied to the athletic conferences. I was in grad school and conducted research at ISU and I don’t remember seeing much of anything tied to conferences in regards to research. That doesn't mean it didn't exist outside my little bubble. So does anyone have any links or information in regards to cooperative research efforts facilitated by the conferences?

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I would love to know how much, if any, research is actually tied to the athletic conferences. I was in grad school and conducted research at ISU and I don’t remember seeing much of anything tied to conferences in regards to research. That doesn't mean it didn't exist outside my little bubble. So does anyone have any links or information in regards to cooperative research efforts facilitated by the conferences?

Most conferences don't. Big10 is unique in that. It's the reason the University of Chicago is a member of the Big10 without participating in athletics.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
I will get **** for this, but in terms of what teams I would rather play, it is and has always been the Big Ten. But I like the Big 12 as a conference more than the Big Ten.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
I'm curious, why do you feel that way? Genuinely think that's the first time I've heard of someone who doesn't prefer the round robin.
I can't really put my finger on it. I think I'd prefer a divisional scenario and a fourth non-con game. But I'm a ******* so what do I know?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I can't really put my finger on it. I think I'd prefer a divisional scenario and a fourth non-con game. But I'm a ******* so what do I know?

I prefer round robin but at least in the original B12 format it was every two years that you'd play each South team and you'd play each divisional team twice in basketball. You knew what to expect and at least had a playback season to season.

14 teams leads to 3 years' time between opponents in football, and only playing a few teams twice in basketball...just not as interesting at all.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
The B1G in a heartbeat. The current Big 12 setup is fine but we don't know what the next round of TV contracts will look like. Everything is fine now bu if the B1G and SEC continue to pull away in revenue Texas and OU are going to get very anxious. This is why IMO the Big 12 needs to pick off some Pac 12 schools while they are vulnerable.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclad

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I prefer round robin but at least in the original B12 format it was every two years that you'd play each South team and you'd play each divisional team twice in basketball. You knew what to expect and at least had a playback season to season.

14 teams leads to 3 years' time between opponents in football, and only playing a few teams twice in basketball...just not as interesting at all.

I get that but it also kind of blows that the Big 12 has to deal with a loaded schedule every year and then you have the B1G and SEC who have the luxury of lucking their way into the playoff hunt due to unbalanced divisions and weak crossover games. Hell, the SEC and ACC are still only playing 8 conference games on top of that.

SouthernCy

Sep 8, 2019
I smell massive shakeups potentially coming down the pike. let’s consider that either options features would remain in place for the next five years and this would take effect for the 2021 Season.

Would you rather be in the Big 12 as it is currently constituted with the same teams, same round robin formats, same money, Tv deals, etc.

Or would you rather go to the Big Ten as a Nebraska replacement but we have to take the temporary money cut as a new member and we have to go in to the East Division with no special schedule considerations for Iowa?
Unless we get to play in the weak big 10 west like Iowa does where all we have to do is beat Wisconsin and we are in the championship game, stay in the big 12.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
I think its pretty clear we do not belong with the snooty eletists who just caused themselves generational branding and recruiting issues.

• Dislike
Reactions: Cyclad

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I get that but it also kind of blows that the Big 12 has to deal with a loaded schedule every year and then you have the B1G and SEC who have the luxury of lucking their way into the playoff hunt due to unbalanced divisions and weak crossover games. Hell, the SEC and ACC are still only playing 8 conference games on top of that.

Each conference should play the same amount of games, so I agree there, and TCU got F'd in 2014 but Oklahoma has made 4 of the last 5 including not having a conference championship game a few years so it's not like the Big 12 hasn't been represented fairly in the current format (again outside of TCU).

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Each conference should play the same amount of games, so I agree there, and TCU got F'd in 2014 but Oklahoma has made 4 of the last 5 including not having a conference championship game a few years so it's not like the Big 12 hasn't been represented fairly in the current format (again outside of TCU).

Yeah I get that but I said playoff hunt not playoff bid. I don't care which way you cut it, it's all a numbers game and the committee has shown that they will massage the numbers to benefit certain schools.