Random Thoughts 14: I can see clearly now 2020 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
The Covid thread can become decent if you just run with some of the wildness. Like, things like Math, biochemistry and physics majors are equivalent to community college degrees.
I see one of the threads finally got moved to the cave.

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
I posted in one of the Covid threads encouraging everyone to stay positive during this difficult time. The posters in the thread proceeded to bash me for not taking it seriously. Since then, I’ve stayed out of there and my mood is much better.

I love how it has become en vogue to charge someone as being "anti-science" or "anti-math"......and the people I know in my personal life who parrot that are the LEAST analytical, trained, or logical people.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Wife found some bread flour so I’m going to make a batch today.

Got her a new credit card. Had a Disney one and Disney points don’t do much for us right now. Informed her that the first 500 charged in 90 days gets her 150 cash back so go ahead and use that then mine for her amazon buys. Daughter then tells me that they spent that in groceries yesterday. Having a 19 year old male can really cost you.

Reactions: Cyclones_R_GR8

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Wife found some bread flour so I’m going to make a batch today.

Got her a new credit card. Had a Disney one and Disney points don’t do much for us right now. Informed her that the first 500 charged in 90 days gets her 150 cash back so go ahead and use that then mine for her amazon buys. Daughter then tells me that they spent that in groceries yesterday. Having a 19 year old male can really cost you.
We had four teenage boys in the house when our exchange student lived with us: ages 18, 18, 17, & 14. The amount of milk and cereal and bread was staggering...
We ate a lot of chicken & fish because beef was really really hard on the budget. It was not unheard of for us to use 2 carts at the grocery store (we shopped once a week back then).

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
We had four teenage boys in the house when our exchange student lived with us: ages 18, 18, 17, & 14. The amount of milk and cereal and bread was staggering...
We ate a lot of chicken & fish because beef was really really hard on the budget. It was not unheard of for us to use 2 carts at the grocery store (we shopped once a week back then).

Ouch, you kinda had to decide; we can go on vacation this year if we can avoid eating for a week. That would probably last 10 minutes.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
This bread thing is a lot harder than it appears and they make it out to be. Just reading now that my water needs to between 105 and 110. I know our water heater cranks it higher than that. First problem. Second, I just found out that I'm supposed to let the yeast, water, sugar sit for 10 minutes; another screw up on my part. Why the dough is not rising well enough.

Well, this batch should be ok, but I now have a couple improvements for the next batch. Wife found me some bread flour, because I know that this batch wipes out what i have.

Wonder if I do this again when the 'rona is over with.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Am I too late with a bread flour definition? This is from my newest (of three versions) of The All-Purpose Cookbook Joy of Cooking. (1981) There's a section called know your ingredients and I've found it really helpful over the years. Most of what's there are things I'll never have or use, but it's fun reading about them. IMG_2951.jpg

Reactions: BCClone

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Am I too late with a bread flour definition? This is from my newest (of three versions) of The All-Purpose Cookbook Joy of Cooking. (1981) There's a section called know your ingredients and I've found it really helpful over the years. Most of what's there are things I'll never have or use, but it's fun reading about them. View attachment 71045
Bread flour is pretty widely available now. It definitely also makes a noticeable difference when compared to AP

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Bread flour is pretty widely available now. It definitely also makes a noticeable difference when compared to AP

I can only get it in one store out of the four that my wife checked yesterday up here, and that is come and go. You guys must have stores getting it better there than we do here. I can just go to the stores flour department and there is a hole in the flour department where the bread flour should be.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I can only get it in one store out of the four that my wife checked yesterday up here, and that is come and go. You guys must have stores getting it better there than we do here. I can just go to the stores flour department and there is a hole in the flour department where the bread flour should be.
Oh definitely I think it's like yeast right now, people panic bought it.

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
Order some from Amazon, dude.
This should keep you in business for a while...
Flour.JPG

Last edited:

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I think that would be a good way to make a mess.

I'm going to spread my wings and make some cornbread soon also. Made some when I was younger and definitely like it, so I'm going to take a swing at it again.

I'm no pro, but I wouldn't do it like that. I would keep my hands and arms in front of me. It'll make the mixing much easier.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
If anyone would like some baby rabbits, please let me know. I will show you 4 or 5 nests in our raised garden beds. Really don’t want to wait on the neighborhood hawk to meander his way back around.
As if I didn’t have enough on my mind with bread flour, figuring out the likelihood that someone’s car lease will end before a potential SIP and how many zoom/webex/connect/etc. sessions I have this week. Geez rabbits, go play at KC’s house or something.

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
I think that would be a good way to make a mess.

I'm going to spread my wings and make some cornbread soon also. Made some when I was younger and definitely like it, so I'm going to take a swing at it again.
Lew makes great scratch cornbread. Let me know if you want his recipe.

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
If anyone would like some baby rabbits, please let me know. I will show you 4 or 5 nests in our raised garden beds. Really don’t want to wait on the neighborhood hawk to meander his way back around.
As if I didn’t have enough on my mind with bread flour, figuring out the likelihood that someone’s car lease will end before a potential SIP and how many zoom/webex/connect/etc. sessions I have this week. Geez rabbits, go play at KC’s house or something.
Puss & Boots (the outdoor cats) would make short work of them. They brought down a full grown rabbit & dragged it through the garage window for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.