Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Did anyone else read on FB or Twitter that Steve Karlin from KCCI took a test 2 weeks ago and still hasnt heard back? Anyone heard of anything like this happening?
No, I watched him answer that question on air a few days ago though.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Yup and there are approx. 20 hanging around with a female hatching eggs on my island
Oh man, momma geese are real b!tches!

CorruptDrearyAffenpinscher-size_restricted.gif

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
61 in the hospital.

obviously that’s not crazy high, but I’m guessing most of them are in the Linn/Johnson area. I would guess those hospitals are getting somewhat full.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Means we are just testing a lot more.
Positive tests has stayed steady around 7%. The more we test, the more these numbers start to rise. The higher numbers don't mean things are necessarily getting worse, however it means it's definitely still spreading around communities. Like you said, these tests are now getting results back in 1-2 days.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Man 19 more in Linn. 20 of the 73 in the 18-40 group. Story county resident here and thankful that we are still at just 2 cases.

RotatingColumn

Oct 21, 2008
Welp, Governor Reynolds keeps saying they'll "continue to look at the data as well as the metrics when determining decisions". I mean how reactive can you get?? Over 50% of the United States has implemented non-essential businesses must shut down but she's relying on Iowans because I guess we have moral superiority?

Also, she received a question about Wells Fargo and how their workplace had people still coming to work and there happened to be a positive case in their workplace today. Her answer was that she hoped businesses would allow their employees to work from home.

On March 25, Minnesota mandated a shelter in place when their number of confirmed cases was at 287 with 1 death.. We have 424 confirmed cases and 6 deaths. She also came out and said she wants the entire state to be together on this and is not going to allow mayors to make decisions based on their own counties..

I wish she would just call it. There's a lot of us being held hostage by our employers who are continuing to do business as usual.

I read an article that Iowa is doing the worst job at social distancing. I couldn't believe how packed Lowe's parking lot was after the clothing stores were closed. Some people NEED to shop I guess. Time to shut it down, not enough people are listening.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
I heard they're putting the dome on the Marshall County courthouse today so I drove down there to take a look and there were hundreds of people standing out on the street. Insane.

I know a guy who sells used cars. His boss refuses to let him home because he says providing used cars is essential. That's why we need more state orders.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I wish she would just call it. There's a lot of us being held hostage by our employers who are continuing to do business as usual.

I read an article that Iowa is doing the worst job at social distancing. I couldn't believe how packed Lowe's parking lot was after the clothing stores were closed. Some people NEED to shop I guess. Time to shut it down, not enough people are listening.
I think Lowe's is now shut down.. But yes, I do believe we need to shut down non-essential businesses and I agree that people are not collectively taking this seriously. I too have seen a lot of people out and about in various areas and that's exactly what Gov. Reynolds has talked about. We technically don't have any rules in place as far as social distancing go. They're all just guidelines / recommendations at this point. Until she gets more strict, people are not going to listen.

Ms3r4ISU

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames

If it's the same one I read about, it was based on tracking cellphone data and didn't necessarily take into account people who travel for their jobs like truckers. Also, the definitions used for qualifiers/characteristics aren't consistent from state to state.
Again, everyone projects their own needs and attitudes on everyone else, and those comparisons are not necessarily valid, or true.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
I heard they're putting the dome on the Marshall County courthouse today so I drove down there to take a look and there were hundreds of people standing out on the street. Insane.

I know a guy who sells used cars. His boss refuses to let him home because he says providing used cars is essential. That's why we need more state orders.

**** sake. Good thing I'm the only one that has to leave home right now.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
If it's the same one I read about, it was based on tracking cellphone data and didn't necessarily take into account people who travel for their jobs like truckers. Also, the definitions used for qualifiers/characteristics aren't consistent from state to state.
Again, everyone projects their own needs and attitudes on everyone else, and those comparisons are not necessarily valid, or true.
It should definitely not be taken at face value, but it shouldn't be completely thrown away either. There is a little point to be made that our state received a poor grade due to the fact that are state has not issued as strict of guidelines as others. Whether or not you agree we should issue more guidelines is irrelevant.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

Shelter in place isn't going to shut down hardware stores such as Lowes and Menards because they will be considered essential due to building supplies.

Ms3r4ISU

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
It should definitely not be taken at face value, but it shouldn't be completely thrown away either. There is a little point to be made that our state received a poor grade due to the fact that are state has not issued as strict of guidelines as others. Whether or not you agree we should issue more guidelines is irrelevant.

I disagree. What good does it do to read about someone's idea to track social distancing? If it doesn't directly inform policy or administrative decisions, it seems inflammatory at best.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Shelter in place isn't going to shut down hardware stores such as Lowes and Menards because they will be considered essential due to building supplies.
Did Lowe's not shut down or was that another store?

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

Just because you don't believe it to be essential doesn't mean it's not essential. Car dealerships, construction projects and the like will still be open if there is an Shelter in Place.

To many people think the only "essential" workers are medical, police fire, etc. and that's now how it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron