*** Official IOWA STATE Vs #3 Kansas Game(Day) Thread ***

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Adding Foster, Blackwell and Johnson to a rotation with Bolton, Jackson, Conditt and Young gets us pretty close talent wise next season. IMO they're only short a PG or CG that would start along side Bolton from being pretty well set.

Now improving the defense is another story but having a second rim protector and some length at the wing will help.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
It has alot to do with an absolute disinterest in stopping penetration.

I get Doke was always going to be a tough cover. But our guards just cleared a path for the dribble drive.

Are you saying that we are the Worst Defensive Team in the League?.......Ole...Ole defense isnt going to cut it....time to turn the page to next year and get some experience for our young guys...

• Dislike
Reactions: megamanxzero35

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Sorry, it's kind of tough watching two KU guys trying to draw & quarter Jackson on the floor while the ref is leaning in and watching, waiting for...I don't know...maybe to call a pin?

I'm not saying the refs weren't bad....they were even extremely bad last night.

But it seems like some are blaming them for the loss when meanwhile ISU had to hit 9 threes in a half to stay within 10.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
We are at the moral victory of the season it would have only been a 16 point loss part of our programming

• Funny
Reactions: SpokaneCY

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
In the last 40 years in Lawrence, ISU is 5-35. One would think after five seasons Steve Prohm could have closed that gap substantially.
Has Steve been at ISU for 40 years, or are you saying no coach has done well there? Why could Steve be expected to “substantially” close the gap, when nobody else has been able to? That’s certainly a good objective, but it would appear that is not easily done.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I saw some positives from some guys that will be important for next year in Bolton, Jackson, Conditt and Young and those are the guys who are going to have to step up the most to turn things around next year along with probably Grill and Johnson. Fran was right in that you can't rely on Freshman especially ones that aren't one and done type talents.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I'm not saying the refs weren't bad....they were even extremely bad last night.

But it seems like some are blaming them for the loss when meanwhile ISU had to hit 9 threes in a half to stay within 10.
Agreed. BTW...did you notice who your cheerleader was on this post? Such a putz he is...

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Agreed. BTW...did you notice who your cheerleader was on this post? Such a putz he is...

Yeah...figured he'd be around at some point.

Likely thought the KU player hanging on the rim after a foul was fine.

Blowout or not, that needs to be called.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
It sucks when you play your best game of the year offensively, and still lose by 20. Completely demoralizing. Not having Haliburton hurts, but certainly doesn't change the outcome last night. Bolton has been bad lately. It's a good thing Nixon has stepped up. Where has this version been all year? I think he's got alpha issues, as he is a totally different player with Tyrese unavailable. Perhaps we can squeeze another win or two out of these guys still, starting with OSU on Saturday.

Reactions: Snydes

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I was wondering what the best way is to defend the following pick-and-roll play that I saw multiple times last night:

Dotson starts with the ball on the left wing. He runs through the screen on the wing and then runs through another screen from Doke towards the middle. As soon as Dotson clears Doke, he hits the lane hard.

If the help-side wing crashes, he leaves his man wide open for a three (which happened)
If Doke's defender switches to cover Dotson, Dotson drives into him for a foul or lobs it to Doke for an easy mismatch (which happened)
If Dotson's defender goes over the screen he's trailing and in terrible defensive position (not sure this happened)
If Dotson's defender tries to go under the screen Doke just moving-screens him to the block, leaving Dotson around the free throw line with a big trying to cover him while Doke mauls our guard

I realize Dotson is really really fast and one of the best in the country, but if Doke isn't being called for his moving screens, what is a good defensive option?

• Agree
Reactions: flycy and Snydes

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I was wondering what the best way is to defend the following pick-and-roll play that I saw multiple times last night:

Dotson starts with the ball on the left wing. He runs through the screen on the wing and then runs through another screen from Doke towards the middle. As soon as Dotson clears Doke, he hits the lane hard.

If the help-side wing crashes, he leaves his man wide open for a three (which happened)
If Doke's defender switches to cover Dotson, Dotson drives into him for a foul or lobs it to Doke for an easy mismatch (which happened)
If Dotson's defender goes over the screen he's trailing and in terrible defensive position (not sure this happened)
If Dotson's defender tries to go under the screen Doke just moving-screens him to the block, leaving Dotson around the free throw line with a big trying to cover him while Doke mauls our guard

I realize Dotson is really really fast and one of the best in the country, but if Doke isn't being called for his moving screens, what is a good defensive option?

giphy.gif

• Winner
  • Funny
Reactions: mkadl and Snydes

fcclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 15, 2009
It sucks when you play your best game of the year offensively, and still lose by 20. Completely demoralizing. Not having Haliburton hurts, but certainly doesn't change the outcome last night. Bolton has been bad lately. It's a good thing Nixon has stepped up. Where has this version been all year? I think he's got alpha issues, as he is a totally different player with Tyrese unavailable. Perhaps we can squeeze another win or two out of these guys still, starting with OSU on Saturday.
I’d rather start this Saturday against Texas Tech.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops

Spouse was ******** about Doke's moving screens all night.

• Agree
Reactions: CYDJ and Snydes

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Adding Foster, Blackwell and Johnson to a rotation with Bolton, Jackson, Conditt and Young gets us pretty close talent wise next season. IMO they're only short a PG or CG that would start along side Bolton from being pretty well set.

Now improving the defense is another story but having a second rim protector and some length at the wing will help.

I think our defense improves a lot when we switch, but our void in size between big and little gives the other team mismatches, and the incoming wings (freshmen and sit out) seem to address that.

Last edited: