Haliburton NBA

CyHans

Apr 28, 2010
IMO he needs to come back and work on his game for the next two years then go to the NBA. But this just might be my own selfish desires speaking....

• Funny
Reactions: aobie

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
IMO he needs to come back and work on his game for the next two years then go to the NBA. But this just might be my own selfish desires speaking....
This is not me being disrespectful towards you, but there are people whose job is to find talent and evaluate them, and they have Halliburton as a high draft pick. For the most part, they usually know what they're talking about.

Reactions: CapnCy

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
This is not me being disrespectful towards you, but there are people whose job is to find talent and evaluate them, and they have Halliburton as a high draft pick. For the most part, they usually know what they're talking about.

he clearly said it tongue in cheek. We ALL selfishly hope he comes back for 2 years.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
If you don't think he is ready, imagine him playing for the Warriors:

TH would have 50 assists per game, be everyone's favorite teammate, and lead the league in smiles.
This year's Warriors team? Lol

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Heard something on the Morning Rush today that apparently Stanz and Blum on Cyclone Insider last night talked about how this season has gone that there is a chance Haliburton doesn't want his college experience to end this way and there is a slight possibility he could decide to stay another year? Anyone happen to listen last night and comment on it? I need to go back and listen to the podcast sometime.

I used to be one of these guys that never understood what the rush is to go pro but over time my mindset has changed some. I remember back when Fizer was tearing it up we were chanting "1 more year" at the end of the last home game. ISU would have probably been preseason #1 had he came back for his senior year and being in college at the time I couldn't help to think why would you pass up a chance at a national title and probably front runner to be national player of the year when the NBA will likely be there next year and you'll still be a lotto pick. Well he was the #4 overall pick that year and over the years I now get why guys leave early because that is life changing money. If Haliburton thinks he will be a lock for a lotto pick or even top 5 or 10 pick like some site have him at I don't blame him 1 bit for jumping at the opportunity. But if in his heart he feels like he wants to stay another year and help turn this thing around I'd have all the respect in the world for him too. I think it's probably a 99.9% chance he goes pro at this point though.

Crazy how things have changed over the years because now with the G League some of these fringe guys that probably would not have declared for the draft early 20 years ago like Wigginton and THT now have an option to earn some money without having to stay in school 3 or 4 years like players used to do if they wanted a shot in the NBA. I think that has a lot to do with how this season has gone for us, Prohm almost recruited too well and now we have a vacuum from some guys leaving sooner than we anticipated originally and unlike the blueblood schools teams like Iowa State usually doesn't have another top 10 class coming in to help fill in the voids right away when you lose that many key players all at once through graduation and declaring for the draft early.

Great points.

It's also so hard for any of us to "put ourselves in his shoes" as so few have a comparable situation and we, inevitably, layer our own experiences to his. Meaning, "i'd do anything to be in college again...enjoy it!"

There is not good comparison, but if an engineer had a dream job of working for NASA and did an internship their fresh year and then were told "we'd hire you this year, no degree and the salary will be CEO pay" no one would tell the person to enjoy college.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Any of this logic flies out the door when you are likely a Top 10 pick. Go get your money. It's there just sitting for you to take.

Agree...that's the thing...the later first round stuff becomes a gamble and potential to have to "work your way up" through G League or whatever...but top 10 lock and your signing bonus and first year contract (and endorsements opportunities) set up a worse case scenario or like $5 million dollars guaranteed.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I think I have seen some progress from this team in that department though, Jackson and Bolton have been knocking down more 3s lately and hopefully Javan Johnson is a significant upgrade over Nixon (good lord please).
This got me to thinking so I looked at the three point shooting numbers. Keep in mind that the overall numbers include all games (including conference) while conference is (obviously) just conference games. Note also that when looking at trends, the Auburn game was right in the middle of the conference games played thus far. I'll list any notables from the Auburn game as well.

Player...Non Con...Conference
TEAM .317 (163-514) .325 (62-191) [Auburn 7-27]
Haliburton .423 (30-71) .404 (19-47) [Auburn 2-5]
Bolton .276 (16-58) .422 (19-45) [Auburn 2-7]
Jacobson .308 (8-26) .286 (2-7) [Auburn 0-1]
Nixon .268 (19-71) .133 (4-30) [Auburn 2-6]
Griffin .296 (8-27) .400 (4-10) [Auburn 1-3]
Lewis ..461 (6-13) .111 (1-9) [Auburn 0-2]
Grill .250 (4-16) .077 (1-13) [Auburn 0-3]
Jackson .273 (9-33) .423 (11-26)
Young .000 (0-1) .500 (1-2)

So the players with the biggest drops since conference play started (conf + Auburn) are:
Lewis .545 to .091 -.454
Grill .308 to .063 -.245
Nixon .262 to .167 -.095
Jacobson .320 to .250 -.070

About the same:
TEAM .320 to .317 -.003
Haliburton .424 to .404 -.020

Biggest gains:
Jackson .273 to .423 +.150
Bolton .275 to .404 +.129
Griffin .292 to .385 +.093
Young .000 to .500 *insignificant sample size

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I just can't get over the "come back and work on his game" crowd. Here's a mock draft that came out earlier today that his him 5th:

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba...o-ball-knicks-pick/1jwi34jf5ay9i118yjrz207qbx

Last year's 5th overall pick, Darius Garland, signed a 2 year, 13 million dollar deal with all 13 million dollars guaranteed. He could never play a game and make 13 million dollars. I don't care how many things you could improve on, that's life changing money you have to go get.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I just can't get over the "come back and work on his game" crowd. Here's a mock draft that came out earlier today that his him 5th:

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba...o-ball-knicks-pick/1jwi34jf5ay9i118yjrz207qbx

Last year's 5th overall pick, Darius Garland, signed a 2 year, 13 million dollar deal with all 13 million dollars guaranteed. He could never play a game and make 13 million dollars. I don't care how many things you could improve on, that's life changing money you have to go get.
Do you suppose the NBA would pay me $13M to never play a game? I am ready and willing.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
I think there is a wild overestimation, particularly amongst non-NBA watchers, about the expected value of a lottery pick. There seems to be a correlation with people who think they know better than NBA scouts. Tyrese in 3 years projects to the type of guard that contenders are trading multiple draft picks to get.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
One may be able to finish their degree at anytime, but one will NEVER be able to live the true college experience at an older age. If I were him, I'd buy a hefty insurance policy, take another year to learn and bring the team back to expected levels, and earn a B12 championship, B12 MVP, high seed in the NCAA Tourney, a phenomenal run, all leading to a lottery pick. Buy, hey, that's just if it were me.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
One may be able to finish their degree at anytime, but one will NEVER be able to live the true college experience at an older age. If I were him, I'd buy a hefty insurance policy, take another year to learn and bring the team back to expected levels, and earn a B12 championship, B12 MVP, high seed in the NCAA Tourney, a phenomenal run, all leading to a lottery pick. Buy, hey, that's just if it were me.
I was thinking about this earlier. If the NCAA wanted to do even just a little bit to stem the tide of talent leaving early for the NBA they would allow programs to fund insurance policies for top players. A player who really wanted to stay in school but didn't want to risk losing all future earnings to a career ending injury would have one less disincentive to staying. It wouldn't change the majority of decisions, but would help those who truly wanted to continue to experience college.

• Informative
Reactions: k123

Pat

Oct 20, 2011

One only gets one chance to be a 20 year old multimillionaire, too.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
I know it would be great for us as fans if he comes back next year, but I hope he goes pro. Go get paid

davehon

Apr 4, 2015
If you turned down 13 million dollars to get the college experience you are an idiot...you don't think a 20 year old kid with that kind of money can't find a college town and get an experience.....ISU best bet for TH to come back is for TH to literally break his leg and that would be terrible for him.

• Agree
Reactions: stuclone

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
He should go if he's going to go high.

Unfortunate that we didn't get to see him be able to blossom fully but that's how it goes.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron