MLB: ***Official 2019-20 Cubs Offseason***

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
You must see something in Schwarber and Happ that I don't because I have really lowered my value of Schwarber since 2016 and I see Happ as no more than a poor man's Zobrist when he's actually hitting which so far has not been that consistent. If the DH ever comes to the NL then maybe I look at Schwarber differently but I think the Cubs really messed up not trading him and Happ when both had higher trade value just a few years ago.

Schwarber reminds me too much of Adam Dunn: hits for power, works a count for walks, but strikes out a lot and doesn't hit for a very high average. I still think he's expendable in a trade if it brings back a nice return of prospects or pitching. Our entire outfield at this moment is just one big flawed mess one way or another if you break it down. There isn't one OF on the roster you can point to and say you have confidence they can play at a level where they are one of the top end players at their position. At the moment here is what our OF career batting averages look like:

Schwarber: .235
Almora: .274 (coming off an awful .236 season)
Happ: .246
Heyward: .261
Souza Jr: .233

I'm higher on Schwarber now than I've been since right after the 2016 World Series. He put up a .280/.366/.631 line over the second half of last year with less platooning than ever before. That's a middle of the order bat you can build around. Obviously I want to see him keep it up this year, but it seemed like things finally clicked for him last year.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I'm higher on Schwarber now than I've been since right after the 2016 World Series. He put up a .280/.366/.631 line over the second half of last year with less platooning than ever before. That's a middle of the order bat you can build around. Obviously I want to see him keep it up this year, but it seemed like things finally clicked for him last year.

This - which is why I was hoping we’d try and extend him this season before his value explodes, sort of like Rizzo.

I wasn’t a huge fan of Schwarbers production BEFORE the second half of last year but the second half of last year is exactly what we saw pre-leg injury, so my hope is it just took him 2 years to get it together

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA

This is kind of the same reason I still wouldn't mind moving him while his value is high again. I just don't view him as a "must keep" player on this roster and the Cubs have already missed opportunities once or twice already with him to get some good value out of a trade with him. I'm not getting overly excited about one good half season of hitting given his past performance. He could make a believer out of me if he could keep that up consistently over a full season or more but if the Cubs are ready to go through some kind of rebuild here soon I don't see him as a piece that you absolutely have to build around.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
We trade KB? I vote yes if it’s an amazing haul. If teams aren’t willing to give us everything, hold onto him until July and see where we are then. If the Braves are in the hunt, they will blow the farm on him.

Don't know why this took so long to settle but it's good news as it increases his trade value with having control over him for this season and 2021. I'm guessing they shop him midseason if they don't find a deal they like right now. The risk with that is given his injury history and prolonged slumps he goes through at times they have to hope for a healthy and productive start to the season for him to maximize value in a trade.

Wish he could be a Cub for a long time but with the grievance and being a Boras client the writing is on the wall that he's not going to resign with the Cubs when his deal is up unless they are the top bidder and even then it's hard to tell if he's jaded enough over the service time issue that he'd take less to go to another contender.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Well that's interesting

Would be nice if both teams could throw in some other pieces and make this work. If you can't sign Bryant long term, Arenado at $35 mil through 2026 (last 2 years are at 32 and 27) probably going to cost less than what Bryant may get in 2 years and I think Arenado is basically a similar player offensively who strikes out lesser rate than KB does and a better defensive 3B. Kind of would like to see some kind of prospects come back in a KB trade so not too keen on the 1 for 1 deal.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Rockies fan who wants no part of Bryant. Rather get quality farm prospects or pitching. Rockies already have a back up plan for 3rd in Ryan McMahon.

The Rockies aren't close to competing for a title in the next two years, any move to get Bryant would most likely be an attempt to flip him down the road.

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
The Rockies aren't close to competing for a title in the next two years, any move to get Bryant would most likely be an attempt to flip him down the road.

That's what I am inferring by their interest too, they'd rather dump Arenado's contract and use KB as a trade chip to flip for prospects so it would kind of be a win-win situation for both teams if this deal happens. Could imagine if KB were to tear it up at Coors for a half season it could help his trade value too.

Arenado does have an opt out of his contract after 2021 so as a 31 year old free agent could he do better than 5 years and $164 mil + bonuses if he opts out? That's the 1 thing that makes me wonder too is both players can be free agents after 2021 so Cubs would have to have an idea on if he plans to stay or opt out as I think having him locked in long term is more appealing to them otherwise you may as well just trade KB for best group of prospects you can get.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Most Spring Training Game will be televised on the Cubs new network:

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
New tv network sure is going to have a lot of different analysts:

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
While we didn’t upgrade this off-season, I’m hoping Madden to Ross will be a positive.
Reading some tweets, makes it seem like it was way too laid back of an atmosphere.

We still have some elite bats. Just have to be better in the details.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron