MLB: ***Official 2019-20 Cubs Offseason***

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
While we didn’t upgrade this off-season, I’m hoping Madden to Ross will be a positive.
Reading some tweets, makes it seem like it was way too laid back of an atmosphere.

We still have some elite bats. Just have to be better in the details.

Jesus. No wonder why most of the young corps has regressed

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
While we didn’t upgrade this off-season, I’m hoping Madden to Ross will be a positive.
Reading some tweets, makes it seem like it was way too laid back of an atmosphere.

This legit pisses me off and it’s a worse look on the players than the manager that allowed it, because most of those players are still Cubs. Where is the leadership from a locker room supposedly full of veterans? Rizzo and Lester now need to be asked some tough questions.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I think it's kind of premature to assume Ross is going to hold his buddies any more accountable but we will see. Maybe this means the front office might be more hands on and Ross is more of a yes man than maddon.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Maddon was anti-practice, pro-do whatever you want, live your life, brother. Sure, our veteran leaders could've stepped in, but keep in mind Rizzo, Bryant, Schwarber, Contreras, Baez all became winners under Maddon, so they weren't really trained to become guys who hold teammates accountable.

Rizzo and Bryant are both on record in 2016 saying they loved Ross but were afraid of doing something wrong because he'd jump on their asses.

I'm not worried about accountability being an issue with Ross; I'm confident guys will play hard for him.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I can't find the video or link anymore but someone did a feature on Ross that he was the silent ******* in the dugout. Guys loved him but when they messed up they did everything to avoid him because he would tell them like it was.

I hope Ross holds guys accountable and pushes them to be the best they can be. They didn't add much to the roster in the offseason so any chance to compete will be to overachieve and develop the talent they have.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

I do think it's interesting that if you are wanting to go away from the laid back atmosphere you hire David Ross, who has played with half the guys on this roster. Doesn't exactly strike me as a real task-master.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Maddon was anti-practice, pro-do whatever you want, live your life, brother. Sure, our veteran leaders could've stepped in, but keep in mind Rizzo, Bryant, Schwarber, Contreras, Baez all became winners under Maddon, so they weren't really trained to become guys who hold teammates accountable.

Rizzo and Bryant are both on record in 2016 saying they loved Ross but were afraid of doing something wrong because he'd jump on their asses.

I'm not worried about accountability being an issue with Ross; I'm confident guys will play hard for him.

I'm hopeful this is the case. I saw something the other day about him telling KB not to call him Coach which I thought was a little odd.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
I do think it's interesting that if you are wanting to go away from the laid back atmosphere you hire David Ross, who has played with half the guys on this roster. Doesn't exactly strike me as a real task-master.

My fear is that Ross tries overly hard to prove that he’s not their friend and that he will hold them accountable no matter what that we only get to about the middle of June before we start getting the anonymous quotes that the players are getting sick of Ross’ hard ass managerial style.

• Disagree
Reactions: psychlone99

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA

Interesting. Not like they really have anyone on the roster perfect for the spot regardless. Rizzo and Bryant have basically had to bat in less than ideal spots either at leadoff or 2nd because the Cubs can't seem to get people on base ahead of them consistently which has forced Rizzo to hit there at times too. Curious who bats 2nd then because I would assume Rizzo and Javy are your 3 and 4 hitters with Contreras and Schwarber hitting 5th or 6th. To me Heyward has been at his best when hit bats in that 5-7 range and his splits show he is much better hitter there although over the past 3 years he has hit .313 with OBP of .349 and OPS of .809 in the 2 spot. He's had way more AB in the 6/7 spot with probably best sample size of consistency coming batting 6th.

Here's a good read on it too:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/cubs/2020/2/19/21143870/cubs-kris-bryant-lead-off

So let's spitball with the batting order given this idea:

1. Bryant
2. ? whoever plays 2B or Contreras maybe?
3. Rizzo
4. Baez
5. Schwarber
6. Heyward
7. Contreras
8. Almora
9. pitcher

Gotta figure Happ, Almora, and Souza will be platooning the 3rd OF spot so the days Happ plays he probably bats 2nd. 2B is a big ? because I would guess Hoerner possibly starts the season in AAA and you have a glut of players battling it out for a roster spot that can play 2B too so that is another likely platoon position without a major signing or trade just like the 3rd OF spot currently is too.

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
It'll be...

KB - 3B
Rizzo - 1B
Javy - SS
Schwarber - LF
Contreas - C
Heyward - RF
Happ - CF
Bote - 2B
Pitcher

If the Cubs refuse to spend money, KB is the best option at lead off. Still a lot of potential holes at RF, CF, and 2B though

• Agree
Reactions: CyPunch

KcCyclone77

Sep 21, 2017
PSA: For those of you who have mediacom and were wondering about the Marquee Sports Network, I called mediacom and they said no additional purchase is required and that the channel should appear on your cable listings this weekend. Probably channel 668 or 768.

adjl

Jun 13, 2019
PSA: For those of you who have mediacom and were wondering about the Marquee Sports Network, I called mediacom and they said no additional purchase is required and that the channel should appear on your cable listings this weekend. Probably channel 668 or 768.
I also saw that they just signed a deal with Hulu so you will be able to watch with Hulu LIve.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Still no deal with Dish Network as far as I know so guess I'm out of luck for now. I didn't watch as much as I did in 2016 the past couple seasons so may not miss it too much anyways. Eventually I think Dish will have no choice but to carry it because a lot of their competitors are.

Help Support Us

Become a patron