Natural Grass vs Artificial/Field Turf

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Interesting that you’re saying that we should be doing everything the way a 2A high school does. Is Jamie aware of this?

I know that there are schools with blue artificial turf. I suppose that you’d want to go with Cardinal, just because someone else is stupid enough to do it?

Eastern Washington already has it so now ISU won't be innovative and now recruits are going to hate everything.

Fans entering the stadium

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
After all this there was zero problem with the turf today.
I saw players slipping on a few plays and it looked really patchy in parts of the field. Hopefully they have good conditions over the next couple of weeks to get things right because there is lots of season left. It did not hold up well last season.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
I saw players slipping on a few plays and it looked really patchy in parts of the field. Hopefully they have good conditions over the next couple of weeks to get things right because there is lots of season left. It did not hold up well last season.
I see players slip almost every game on turf too, especially with some light rain like we had during part of the game yesterday. The field help up fine last year until the Drake game. I don't think field turf would have been any better during that game with the freezing rain/snow mix we had. Now, if that game had happened earlier in the season and we had to play a home game after that, we would have been in trouble. Field turf would have helped in that case. But, I can't really think of a time when the field was really torn up after a season, other than after the Drake game last year.

• Winner
Reactions: flycy

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
I'd be curious to see statistics on injuries playing on natural vs artificial surface. When its not raining and horrible conditions the natural grass we have is fantastic and looks great on TV.

I think at the end of the day if Matt Campbell wants to change it, it will get changed.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
I still say even with our natural field its overdue for a complete overhaul, so the drainage isn't really working as well as it could. It was told last year it was fouled and needed to be redone. Which they haven't done yet.
I have opinions on both natural and artificial surfaces, and also the hybrid of both. But ultimately our field is due overhauling the base and the drainage system and upgrading it. Once that is done the natural surface will stand up much better again, and adding a hybrid system would do even better.
A fully artificial I have mixed feelings about. While it has a lot of bonuses especially in the northern areas, there are plenty of negatives too. So I can argue both ways.
Regardless its going to be Coach's call.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Watching the Saints at Seahawks game right now. Standard Seattle drizzle/mist (Yesterday weather in Ames). Seahawk running back is having a lot of difficulty with footing on the field turf. Changed cleats a couple of times.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
I heard from a source inside the program yesterday that the players and especially the coaches HATE the field conditions. I'm betting on turf next year.

Really love the grass and getting tackled on turf isn't much fun. But there are millions of dollars on the line for 6-7 home games. Field conditions have to be better

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Slightly off topic. With an extra week to work before TCU, just how close to “back in shape” can the grounds crew get the field? I’m assuming it’s still warm enough for growth.

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella
Watching the Saints at Seahawks game right now. Standard Seattle drizzle/mist (Yesterday weather in Ames). Seahawk running back is having a lot of difficulty with footing on the field turf. Changed cleats a couple of times.

Yeah saw that too. There’s no good answers for footing in the rain.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Slightly off topic. With an extra week to work before TCU, just how close to “back in shape” can the grounds crew get the field? I’m assuming it’s still warm enough for growth.

Cool season grasses will grow as long as the soil temps remain above 50 degrees

Site to check soil temps:
https://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/current/index.phtml/soil_temperature/day1

Not good to see a chance of 30's in the forecast for Saturday morning

http://www.meteor.iastate.edu/~ckarsten/bufkit/image_loader.phtml

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
Ultimately this boils down to what Campbell wants. If he wants a natural surface that is what we will have if he wants artificial that is what we will have.

If I was Campbell wouldn't care which I have, I just want a reliable, that provides predictable results regardless of the weather. Along with what is safe for the players.

• Agree
Reactions: SpokaneCY

Help Support Us

Become a patron