Natural Grass vs Artificial/Field Turf

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
Unfortunately, I think we are only going to see the fall be this wet or wetter in the future. It might be time to cut your losses. If they can get a hybrid system down, then maybe try that. But I don't think many grass fields are going to stand up to these conditions.

Why do you think that?

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I'm bringing a big baggy and a pocket knife to the Kansas game and taking home a piece of the sod to transplant to my back yard. I think this may be the last year for the real grass.
Let me know when/where you're going to do it. I'll sic the cops on you for vandalism, you schmuck.

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
Why do you think that?

The hundred year trend is the entire Midwest is getting more rain each year. Somehow I think that might be significant to planning. Civil engineers are thinking about using 500 year rain amounts for planning instead of 100 year. I am just saying Iowa in the fall isn’t going to turn into a desert anytime soon based on evidence we currently have.

I also believe you want as consistent of a surface as you can have. Unfortunately natural turf can’t give you that when you get inches of rain each week.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
The hundred year trend is the entire Midwest is getting more rain each year. Somehow I think that might be significant to planning. Civil engineers are thinking about using 500 year rain amounts for planning instead of 100 year. I am just saying Iowa in the fall isn’t going to turn into a desert anytime soon based on evidence we currently have.

I also believe you want as consistent of a surface as you can have. Unfortunately natural turf can’t give you that when you get inches of rain each week.

I don't really care either way but yeah it might be time to start leaning toward field turf.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
For one go back a few pages and read a few posts and look at the 25 links I shared.
Then you realize yes they do play a couple months later into the season than we do.
Then you realize they spend way more money on that field and systems than Iowa State. You wiill never see Iowa State spend the kind of money it takes to maintain the surface in Lambeau. ISU may do a hybrid natural grass with synthetic weave system like many stadiums around the world but they still will never spend the money that Pro stadiums do to maintain that natural surface.

We may stay with grass, we may go with turf, we may go with a hybid system. I think we probably need to upgrade our subgrade systems, and drainage. The season isnt getting any shorter, the weather is still going to be crap, so no matter what we probably need to do something to upgrade some of it, but you still wont be able to compare it to a pro stadium.

For instance as far as I know the only college only stadium that has a heated field in the US is U of Minnesota and they have Turf, because the Vikings payed to put it in when they played there while the new stadium was being built.

Besides, I heard CMC hates green, so the plan is to put in a Black turf field next year. ;)

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
For one go back a few pages and read a few posts and look at the 25 links I shared.
Then you realize yes they do play a couple months later into the season than we do.
Then you realize they spend way more money on that field and systems than Iowa State. You wiill never see Iowa State spend the kind of money it takes to maintain the surface in Lambeau. ISU may do a hybrid natural grass with synthetic weave system like many stadiums around the world but they still will never spend the money that Pro stadiums do to maintain that natural surface.

We may stay with grass, we may go with turf, we may go with a hybid system. I think we probably need to upgrade our subgrade systems, and drainage. The season isnt getting any shorter, the weather is still going to be crap, so no matter what we probably need to do something to upgrade some of it, but you still wont be able to compare it to a pro stadium.

For instance as far as I know the only college only stadium that has a heated field in the US is U of Minnesota and they have Turf, because the Vikings payed to put it in when they played there while the new stadium was being built.

Besides, I heard CMC hates green, so the plan is to put in a Black turf field next year. ;)

Interesting so you mean like Soldier field and Arrowhead and Green Bay stay intact all year?
And I don't need to go back and read your drivel.

Reactions: Macloney

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Interesting so you mean like Soldier field and Arrowhead and Green Bay stay intact all year?
And I don't need to go back and read your drivel.
Nah this has already been discussed how well they hold up or don't, how much it takes to do so, and how well it works or doesn't but, if you are above my drivel then you can just stay in your bubble of false superiority and believe what you want.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I believe it, I was down on Nebraska's field a couple of years ago with a bunch of 3rd graders. Just their running around kicked up a bunch of black dust that you could tell was not good to breathe in. Are they made of recycled tires? Can't imagine there is anything bad for you in that. o_O Football was meant to be played on grass.

Football was meant to allow QBs to be hit and WRs to be creamed by defensive players. That's gone now too.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
the field looks like chewed peace of double mint gum. not good

and that is the point. We have the best turf guys in the world working on it. The weather just won’t work with them. It’s one thing if it is November and the field falls apart. This year it has been since game one. And now the seasons won’t allow us to catch up.

I have always been on the side of natural turf. This is just not sustainable anymore. There are new innovations in field turf making it less health hazardous.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron