Is Purdy Hurt?

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Apparently he lost his helmet but stayed in the play... which is dumb because he was in the middle of the scrum and had nowhere to go anyway...

He lost his helmet, fell down, the scrum moved on 3 or 4 yards, and then he got up and rejoined the pushing.

The second time he lost his helmet he was in the middle of the pile, but was not penalized.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
He lost his helmet, fell down, the scrum moved on 3 or 4 yards, and then he got up and rejoined the pushing.

The second time he lost his helmet he was in the middle of the pile, but was not penalized.
Yes, this. Had he lost his lid and stayed back he would have been fine. Getting up into the pile is what the rule is intended to prevent. What if someone else came flying in and cracked him in the head with his helmet? Concussion, fractured skull, major injury. That's why the rule doesn't bother me. Now that blindside block rule is another story. The safety issues there are covered by targeting, block in the back, clipping, etc.

ISU4evertrue

Jun 15, 2019
Yes, this. Had he lost his lid and stayed back he would have been fine. Getting up into the pile is what the rule is intended to prevent. What if someone else came flying in and cracked him in the head with his helmet? Concussion, fractured skull, major injury. That's why the rule doesn't bother me. Now that blindside block rule is another story. The safety issues there are covered by targeting, block in the back, clipping, etc.
My problem with it is that it has to be interpreted what knippel did he was trying to help he wasn't trying to hurt anybody that should be like a 5-yard penalty I understand you're putting yourself at risk but you're not deliberately targeting somebody

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
Speaking of concusisons… I am slightly worried about Eisworth. He laid a big hit on a UNI player, their TE I think, and was down for a couple of seconds with what looked like a possible head injury. The UNI player was down for quite a while. Eisworth didn't come out of the game I don't think, but I was worried he had a head injury and didn't say anything to anyone.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Speaking of concusisons… I am slightly worried about Eisworth. He laid a big hit on a UNI player, their TE I think, and was down for a couple of seconds with what looked like a possible head injury. The UNI player was down for quite a while. Eisworth didn't come out of the game I don't think, but I was worried he had a head injury and didn't say anything to anyone.

With the massively big focus on concussions in football, I can’t imagine staff wouldn’t have pulled him over at some point on the sideline and looked at him if there was any kind of concern for it.

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
During fall camp one of the coaches said they wanted Purdy to stay in the pocket more and make plays with his arm. I think he overdid it today, and staying in the pocket doesn't mean you can't move around in the pocket. Somebody already mentioned stepping up in the pocket and I agree - too many times he stayed deep and was more pressured than if he stepped up. Got two weeks to work on it.
He did exactly what he was told. No scrambles. No INT's.

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009
While I certainly wish the game wouldn't have been so close (in terms of points, that is), I'm not freaking out. First games are usually not good predictors of the season ahead.

This is probably nit-picky, but what did frustrate me was our decision to go with a short pass when it was 3rd and less than 1, and then attempt another short pass after that one had fell incomplete.

That's usually something you do when you have little confidence in your O-line's ability to get sufficient push. I was really hoping we were finally passed that.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
We haven’t had a starting QB finish an entire season in like 10 years. We haven’t had a QB talent like Purdy for more than that.

So fans want him to run the ball more....

Purdy was 30/41 for 278 with 2 TDS and 0 INT. Plus a game saving fumble recovery. Outside of taking a few more shots down the field, what more do you want him to do??