Is Purdy Hurt?

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
You seem like a really fun person. Can we hang out?

You mess with the cat, you get the claws.

cat-fight-from-box.gif

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
While it's a good point, if Campbell wants to be able to ever make CFP (which will be very very tough), he has to be Iowa, plain and simple.

Is it OK if we things even if it's just bowl eligibility or an 8-4ish season?

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
That’s great spin, but not particularly true, and even worse, missing the context of this matchup.

First, the reaction to Saturday is in the context of attempting to determine if Iowa State is a top-20, Big 12 dark horse, not an average FBS team.

Top FCS programs have a lot of disadvantages to even the G5, let alone P5. That is indisputable, and certainly not disputed when the occasional FCS team will knock off an average to bad FBS team (of which Iowa State is not expected to be). It just means the FBS staff did a bad job utilizing their advantages. It also means flukes happen in sports.

Don’t be silly, it’s appropriate to scrutinize.
2018, preseason #10 Penn State beat Appalachian State 45-38 in OT in week 1. Finished the season 9-4, ranked #17.

2016, preseason #9 Tennessee beat Appalachian State 20-13 in OT in week 1. Finished the season 9-4, ranked #22.

2014, preseason #25 Washington beat Hawaii 17-16 in week 1. Finished the season 8-6.

2013, preseason #18 Nebraska beat Wyoming 37-34 in week 1. Finished the season 9-4.

2012, preseason #21 Stanford beat San Jose State 20-17 in week 1. Finished the season 12-2, ranked #7.

2011, preseason #16 Notre Dame lost to South Florida 20-23 in week 1. Finished the season 8-5.

Everyone's favorite, 2009 preseason #22 Iowa beat UNI 17-16 in week 1. Finished the season 11-2, ranked #7.

Those are just the week one games over the past 10 years between top 25 teams and non-P5 teams. I didn't bother looking at weeks 2 or three. In most cases, the ranked team went on to destroy the next opponent. Even losing to a "far inferior" team does not prevent a good team from having a good year.

• Informative
Reactions: dahliaclone

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Granted but we played a "clean game" and had to go to triple overtime to beat UNI. Every team we play this year has video of Purdy and the offense, so unless we are going to totally change it up, what is the sense in saving it for Iowa and Keeping it vanilla?
I can see a play or two, but that is it, how about we show them everything and let them spend the week before our game overloading with data, instead of thinking "they have not seen this play, so they will be unprepared for it?". Half of one, and half on another, neither is the right way of doing it nor the wrong way.

But 3 overtimes to defeat UNI should never happen to a P5 school. And if it does, what does that say about the P5 school?

Well it says at the end of the season it still counts as a W.

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
Oh I completely understood. I’m just putting in my 2 cents with others that I definitely think UNI is better than Miami OH. I basically got laughed at in the rivals forum for saying that. I thought UNI looks like a top 10 FCS team, which would compete in the upper half of the MAC.

Heh, be careful buddy! upload_2019-9-5_22-43-40.jpeg

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
This thread is a monument to a great axiom...

The most fun you have as a fan is when you go from bad to contender.

Being bad sucks. Being a contender means you have expectations that are rarely met. But going from bad to good, not yet having expectations, being pleasantly surprised, and imagining the infinite possibility of an unwritten future... man, that is the fun part.

The basketball teams Georges' junior year, senior year, and the "Four Horsemen" year the year after were just as good, if not better, than the Kane-Ejim team. We tend to look back on the latter more fondly, however. We did not yet have expectations on us.

Once we had them, even if the program stayed the same/improved, we had less fun. Once you get banners and stars in your eyes, it is really all downhill as a fan experience.

The same process is playing out with the football team.

Well not for anyone who can keep perspective of the past. But yeah in the world of of twitter/instagram/ game threads and post game overanalysis your right.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
I see a lot in this thread about “not getting Purdy hurt”... ofc we don’t want him hurt..he can get hurt in the pocket...you can’t play fball tentatively.. like we did Saturday. Purdy doesn’t need to run ball 10 times a game. But he most definitely should run ball 2-3 times a half maybe more. This keeps the DE and LBs honest.

Another thing I’d like to see is having Re Al come in and run some zone read now and then as a change of pace. Re Al is a wicked good athlete apparently...use him.

Other thing is Purdy is very good when rolling out which can be maddening to defend..see Uni QB.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Well not for anyone who can keep perspective of the past. But yeah in the world of of twitter/instagram/ game threads and post game overanalysis your right.

The world and the human race is doing better now, today, than at any point in its history, and it will be doing better tomorrow than today. We live in a time of relative peace and prosperity from whatever level you want to look at -- nationally and globally. We live far longer, richer, and healthier lives than any other period in the history of our species.

Yet people have never seemed angrier. i don't get it sometimes. I do not know what it is... talk radio, cable news, social media, a complete ignorance of history, nostalgia about a past that never existed in anything like its imagined form... but something is just making people angry and cranky about the current state of affairs out there for some reason.

The Campbell regime and the McCarney regime before it are great examples of that. If people are cranky at all about Campbell, well, he can go and get a job coaching a blue-blood or an NFL team just about anytime he wants. Prohm could get another good high-major job with his record at this point, too. Just wish it. You will see how bad things can get.

The natural state of humanity and, to an extent, Iowa State sports is one of privation, poverty, instability, worry, loss, and hunger. Don't wish for all of that back too hard.

You might get it.

Reactions: tailgateonbeach

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
The world and the human race is doing better now, today, than at any point in its history, and it will be doing better tomorrow than today. We live in a time of relative peace and prosperity from whatever level you want to look at -- nationally and globally. We live far longer, richer, and healthier lives than any other period in the history of our species.

Yet people have never seemed angrier. i don't get it sometimes. I do not know what it is... talk radio, cable news, social media, a complete ignorance of history, nostalgia about a past that never existed in anything like its imagined form... but something is just making people angry and cranky about the current state of affairs out there for some reason.

The Campbell regime and the McCarney regime before it are great examples of that. If people are cranky at all about Campbell, well, he can go and get a job coaching a blue-blood or an NFL team just about anytime he wants. Prohm could get another good high-major job with his record at this point, too. Just wish it. You will see how bad things can get.

The natural state of humanity and, to an extent, Iowa State sports is one of privation, poverty, instability, worry, loss, and hunger. Don't wish for all of that back too hard.

You might get it.

I'm pretty sure that is 4 paragraphs and a sentence to say that you agree with me;).