Zeb Noland misses out on starting job at NDSU

derpyherky

May 11, 2018
Just like many other positions. The QB position has been recruited over, since CMC has been recruiting better athletes each year.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
We got a lot of mileage out of our former multiple-transfer-3rd-string-walk-on, there's no doubt. That said, he wasn't targeted in the same way that those other guys were.

I know we all like the star ratings and the highly-recruited athletes, but sometimes (and especially at Iowa State), you are better judged for what you can find on the scrap heap and what you can do with that scrap to make a serviceable (or even a star) player.

Last edited:

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Yeesh. ISU is lucky we struck gold with Purdy. qb recruiting a little rough

Noland
Moore
Park (had talent but headcase)
Easton Dean
Isn’t more a nature of the QB position than the statement of recruiting. Look at how many top QB recruits the blue bloods go through. Once you find a guy, others go elsewhere.

Park was talented. Moore was a transition class filler, Noland surpassed as a sophomore by an elite freshman, and Dean a versatile athlete that should not be wasted sitting behind Purdy.

wheels686

Oct 25, 2006
Grinnell, IA
Props to CMC for the quick trigger on Noland and switching to Brock. Rhoads probably rides Noland all year and doesn’t play the True Fresh

Who cares about Paul Rhodes? I don't see the obsession with bringing up old coaches. He might have played him all year, but that's why he was fired. We got a great head coach now. Without Rhodes, Campbell might not be here. Regardless either way. It's about Zeb losing out a starting job. Is Rhodes at Iowa State or North Dakota State? Answer: No, so why bring him up?

Root for who is here. Enjoy what we have.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Who cares about Paul Rhodes? I don't see the obsession with bringing up old coaches. He might have played him all year, but that's why he was fired. We got a great head coach now. Without Rhodes, Campbell might not be here. Regardless either way. It's about Zeb losing out a starting job. Is Rhodes at Iowa State or North Dakota State? Answer: No, so why bring him up?

Root for who is here. Enjoy what we have.

It's 'Rhoads'.

Show a little respect for old ISU coaches.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Props to CMC for the quick trigger on Noland and switching to Brock. Rhoads probably rides Noland all year and doesn’t play the True Fresh
That's definitely a prop I have to give this staff: we are not afraid to play young guys who are ready, regardless of position. Throwing a true frosh QB into the fire is something that a lot of teams would struggle to do. We built an entire season out of it.

We tend to get young guys ample minutes during their development time, and others become backups or even starters very early. Campbell has no fear towards putting the best guy on the field, regardless of who's above him, and that's an awesome quality to have.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
That's definitely a prop I have to give this staff: we are not afraid to play young guys who are ready, regardless of position. Throwing a true frosh QB into the fire is something that a lot of teams would struggle to do.

We tend to get young guys ample minutes during their development time, and others become backups or even starters very early. Campbell has no fear towards putting the best guy on the field, regardless of who's above him.

He's stood by the 'make me play you' mantra from what I can tell and so far it's paid off while also having buy-in from players for when their time comes.

ElephantPie

Aug 17, 2011
Noland started last season as the backup but played several games as the starting quarterback. Not wishing injury on anyone at NDSU, but Noland could still get plenty of time as QB1 by earning the spot during the season or by default.

Also, I learned that NDSU is playing their home opener at Target Field in Minneapolis against Butler University. Strange.

Jmarsh13

Sep 28, 2006
If you move positions less than a week into fall camp i consider you a miss at your Position. Now i hope he ends up an all conference TE but in terms of a QB he’s a miss.
So like Tate Martell at The U working out with the receivers after being declared 3rd string QB...

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
It's 'Rhoads'.

Show a little respect for old ISU coaches.

Rhoads? Where we're going, we don't need Rhoads...
SkeletalShadowyHarpseal-size_restricted.gif

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
Noland started last season as the backup but played several games as the starting quarterback. Not wishing injury on anyone at NDSU, but Noland could still get plenty of time as QB1 by earning the spot during the season or by default.

Also, I learned that NDSU is playing their home opener at Target Field in Minneapolis against Butler University. Strange.
^^This^^. I don't get the bagging on Zeb. He didn't play bad for us. I think CMC just wanted to give Brock some reps and he just lit it up. Zeb knew what was ahead of him here and decided to go elsewhere.
Now he is the #2 QB on a team who's last two starters are in the NFL. Who knows what could happen from here.