MLB: ***Official 2019 Chicago Cubs Season Thread***

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Damn. This team would really benefit from ridding itself of some of its MLB players.

Q has given up 5 hits. 3 of them had 99% out probability and the defense found the 1%.

Russell needs to go.

If we’re not going to start Schwarber against lefties and throw García in a spot he’s only played in 6 times as a professional his entire career next to Almora to start a game, we’re putting, at best, platoon outfielders in decent teams.

• Agree
Reactions: psychlone99

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
My dream scenario this week

Cubs trade for Merrifield and Castellanos.

Merrifield becomes our leadoff man, Russell, Garcia, and Bote become our 3 infield backups

Schwarber, Heyward, Castellanos becomes our OF. KB moves out there when one needs a day off. Almora moves out there late in games or for injury purposes only.

Maldonado becomes bench dude.

Caratini, Russell, Garcia, Bote, Happ, Almora are all expendable.

Said this all offseason - this team is good, but it’s built on a bunch of bench players and we need more talent and less scrub if we want to go deep in the playoffs.

Shawker

This May Not Be Accurate
Jun 19, 2014
Des Moines

Merrifield becomes our leadoff man, Russell, Garcia, and Bote become our 3 infield backups

Schwarber, Heyward, Castellanos becomes our OF. KB moves out there when one needs a day off. Almora moves out there late in games or for injury purposes only.

Said this all offseason - this team is good, but it’s built on a bunch of bench players and we need more talent and less scrub if we want to go deep in the playoffs.

How do we acquire Merrifield though? Don’t get me wrong I’d love to have him, but the farm system is barren. Happ and Russell have almost no trade value. I don’t know what kind of package they could put together that would be enough. Castellanos could be had with a Schwarber centered deal I bet.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
If you didn't see the game today it almost seemed like Russell was drunk or something with all the different kind of screw-ups he had.

Shawker

This May Not Be Accurate
Jun 19, 2014
Des Moines
How do we acquire Merrifield though? Don’t get me wrong I’d love to have him, but the farm system is barren. Happ and Russell have almost no trade value. I don’t know what kind of package they could put together that would be enough. Castellanos could be had with a Schwarber centered deal I bet.

Thinking about it some more maybe an offer of Schwarber, Happ, Alzolay and something else gets it done.

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012

I even agree with your order of trade material....Almora being the least desirable to trade...BUT, if that would get us an upgrade at 2b or a stud pitcher (which is really what we need), then I am for it.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Wonder if the front office is regretting tendering him a contract in the offseason. He may not get a tender after this season

cyups2323

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
And then got messed up in the head and couldn't throw a strike if his life depended on it.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Every one of CJs problems is mental.

Can't throw a strike when he just lets it go. Throws 93 and incredibly straight when he's 'aiming' it. He's a lost cause at this point.

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Every one of CJs problems is mental.

Can't throw a strike when he just lets it go. Throws 93 and incredibly straight when he's 'aiming' it. He's a lost cause at this point.

Im not making an excuse here, but I think Joe's bullpen management may contribute to some young bullpen guys becoming headcases. Throwing CJ into the game yesterday with two on, when he hadn't pitched in over a month, seemed like a bad idea to me.