Question regarding what is and isnt an NCAA violation

ISUEmbassy

Jun 13, 2014
I live in eastern Iowa, near Iowa City. My neighbor, who is a friend, is a big Hawkeye fan. He does not donate money to the university but does attend games. He has met several of the current (and recently graduated) players over the past few years and has ultimately ended up having them over to his house numerous times. When they come over, he and his wife always give them food and beer.

Is he considered a booster if he doesnt donate $ to the university? Does it matter? It seems like it would be an NCAA violation to me. Otherwise would be ridiculously easy (easier) to circumvent all rules about giving players benefits.

tldr: I think my Hawkeye neighbor is unintentionally committing NCAA violations

• Funny
Reactions: isutrevman

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I live in eastern Iowa, near Iowa City. My neighbor, who is a friend, is a big Hawkeye fan. He does not donate money to the university but does attend games. He has met several of the current (and recently graduated) players over the past few years and has ultimately ended up having them over to his house numerous times. When they come over, he and his wife always give them food and beer.

Is he considered a booster if he doesnt donate $ to the university? Does it matter? It seems like it would be an NCAA violation to me. Otherwise would be ridiculously easy (easier) to circumvent all rules about giving players benefits.

I don’t know, but what I do know is that it is not an NCAA violation to burn their house down.

Dr.bannedman

liberal
Aug 21, 2012
that island napoleon got sent to

yes said students bangin ur neighbours wife? if so violantion. but if he is watching in the corner it is not a violantion

• Funny
Reactions: Doc

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
If you buy tickets even once, you're considered a booster.

Jiri Hubalek got dinged 6 games because a guy who bought ISU season tickets once in the 1980s (but was a steady UI season ticket holder) let him use the family car and invited him to meals at home while Hubalek was at Marshalltown CC.

TedKumsher

Aug 30, 2007
Ames
Yes they are a booster.
No it's not a violation. (Well, I guess it could be.)
RAI = Representatives of Athletics Interest = Booster = very nearly everyone.

A RAI may provide a student-athlete or the entire team in a sport an occasional family meal, provided the meal is in the individual’s home, on campus, or at a facility that is regularly used for home competition and may be catered. The RAI or an institutional staff member may provide reasonable local transportation to student-athletes to attend such meals.​

There are far more stringent rules for recruits.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.si...om/documents/2014/5/16/Parents_NCAA_Guide.pdf

I think most major universities request (require) that you notify the compliance office first.

• Boosters MAY:

- Provide an occasional meal to a student-athlete or team. The meal may take place in a booster's home, as long as it is in the Iowa City vicinity. Details concerning the meal must be approved by the Compliance office PRIOR to the meal.

http://compliance.hawkeyesports.com/booster info/boosternew.html

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Here is text from an ISU compliance brochure:

"A permissible benefit a booster can be involved with is an occasional meal. Student-athletes are permitted to attend an occasional meal hosted by a booster. Occasional meals must be held in the home of the booster, not at any other location, but may be catered. Additionally, the Athletics Compliance Office must approve all occasional meals in advance. Occasional meals are permissible for student-athletes only. Prospects and their relatives or friends are not permitted to receive occasional meals."

https://cyclones.com/documents/2015/6/1/Guide to NCAA Rules.pdf

• Informative
Reactions: isutrevman

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
According to the posters above the urinals at Hilton, you buy a ticket, you're a donor.

969820e16e4e9faa8287d880272b40cd-full.jpg

JF7rfuU