Game of Thrones Season 8

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Why would Grey Worm not just kill Jon? He has 8,000 Unsullied, and the city. He'd have had every right to do it, you kill Jon there is no King to rule against him.

Found that strange. Greyworm is slitting throats and all of a sudden is hesitant to off the dude who killed his Queen.

The reason why Grey Worm doesn't kill Jon is because he's trained to not think for himself - he's trained to follow orders.

Him slitting Lannisters' throats wasn't his decision (as much as he was relishing the revenge); he was under orders from Dany to eliminate everyone loyal to Cersei, especially the Lannister army.

Even when Dany names him commander of all her forces, he would be taking orders directly from her.

You can see it in his face that he absolutely wants to eliminate Jon, but he was under orders, first by the Council of Lords, then King Bran, not to do it. He is bound by his duty.

I suppose if there is one time that I'm surprised that Grey Worm doesn't take out Jon it's when they're all leaving King's Landing - the Unsullied for Naath; Jon for The Wall. But once again, as much as he wants to, all he can do is stare daggers. He is under orders not to kill Jon and can't bring himself to think for himself and make the kill.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
So how do we all perceive Dany's "madness" now that we can look back on the entire season?

Because last week she looked insane. Like Mad Queen insane. And that might have been a bit forced or rushed but it was also foreshadowed with years of talk about the Mad King and gods flipping coins.

But last night she seemed pretty...rational. Obviously her choice to kill thousands of innocents in King's Landing was awful, but it sounded like tactical vengeance, deployed more purposefully then we'd been led to believe in the previous episode.

Last night she sounded more megalomaniacal, with an attitude of, "I want to build a good world for people. I know what's best for them, but if they don't like it I'll crush them anyway." Which seems different to me than being insane like her father.

Maybe I'm wrong. But looking back I think that's the type of subtlety that got lost in the speed of this season.

She seemed about as...rational as Luke...err...Darth Vader seemed after he slaughtered everyone at the Jedi temple, including Padawan "younglings", and then rationalized it right to Padme's face.

CyOps

Jul 12, 2010
Lincoln
So... the unsullied are headed to Naath. An island where outsiders cant survive because they die from a plague the locals are immune to.

That should go well.
Was that info from the book or the show, because on the show Grey Worm tells Missandei they'll go to Naath after the war.

• Agree
Reactions: mramseyISU

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Was that info from the book or the show, because on the show Grey Worm tells Missandei they'll go to Naath after the war.
strictly books, its not mentioned more than once or twice in the books if I remember correctly. And only went into detail in the World of Ice and Fire book

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
I have a thought and a question. Firs the thought. This should be a lesson to all show runners that you should never begin adapting a series to TV until it's done.

That thought lead to this question. How much of the interest in GOT was driven by the fact we had no idea how it was going to end and would it have affected the popularity of the show if the books were done? It wouldn't have mattered to me as I only watched the show because everyone kept talking about it. I never read the books so I didn't care. I have to think there are more of me than there are of people that read the books but I would also think the book readers got into right away and got the ball rolling.

This was one of the most successful shows of all time. It was a huge critical and financial hit for both HBO and the show runners (and the author). Your “lesson” from your first thought is beyond ridiculous. You might need to take a step back and get a bit of perspective on this subject.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
So... the unsullied are headed to Naath. An island where outsiders cant survive because they die from a plague the locals are immune to.

That should go well.

Yah... don’t believe this obscure fact from the books is part of the show (hell I can’t remember it from the books either). Not really a legitimate gripe.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
The reason why Grey Worm doesn't kill Jon is because he's trained to not think for himself - he's trained to follow orders.

Him slitting Lannisters' throats wasn't his decision (as much as he was relishing the revenge); he was under orders from Dany to eliminate everyone loyal to Cersei, especially the Lannister army.

Even when Dany names him commander of all her forces, he would be taking orders directly from her.

You can see it in his face that he absolutely wants to eliminate Jon, but he was under orders, first by the Council of Lords, then King Bran, not to do it. He is bound by his duty.

I suppose if there is one time that I'm surprised that Grey Worm doesn't take out Jon it's when they're all leaving King's Landing - the Unsullied for Naath; Jon for The Wall. But once again, as much as he wants to, all he can do is stare daggers. He is under orders not to kill Jon and can't bring himself to think for himself and make the kill.

I've seen this reasoning brought up numerous times today, but Grey Worm was instructed to stop if the bells were rung. When they were, he paused before continuing to fight. Unless I'm mistaken he did not interact with Dany at any point. So it seems like he was acting on his own.

Same with the Lannister soldiers, if that was the immediate aftermath of battle as it appeared to be.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
She seemed about as...rational as Luke...err...Darth Vader seemed after he slaughtered everyone at the Jedi temple, including Padawan "younglings", and then rationalized it right to Padme's face.
Another one of the worst handling of a hero turned villain ever portrayed on film.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
I've seen this reasoning brought up numerous times today, but Grey Worm was instructed to stop if the bells were rung. When they were, he paused before continuing to fight. Unless I'm mistaken he did not interact with Dany at any point. So it seems like he was acting on his own.

Same with the Lannister soldiers, if that was the immediate aftermath of battle as it appeared to be.

He stopped fighting and didn't start again until she started laying waste to King's Landing.

• Agree
Reactions: jdoggivjc

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
He stopped fighting and didn't start again until she started laying waste to King's Landing.

Right, but he was told not to do that if the bells rang. So did he need orders or was he thinking for himself? Seems like he did both on different occasions.