Game of Thrones Season 8

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Gordyo5, Jan 7, 2019.

1. isutrevman

isutrevman Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2007
    Student
    Ames, IA
    Ratings:
    +2,933 / 295 / -11
    My take on #1. Bran might have known that Daenerys would burn down the city, but what was he supposed to do to stop it? He could try to convince people but they wouldn't be able to stop her anyway. He knew the only one that could get close enough to kill her while she was unprotected was Jon Snow. The only way to convince him that she wasn't fit to be queen was to allow him to see what she had become.

I agree no "claim" was necessary for him. He was chosen by the most powerful families left. That's a stronger "claim" than anyone has had, really. Someone could still try to overthrow him, but they would likely face fighting the other 6 kingdoms in the process. His rule is more stable than when various houses were constantly fighting for the throne like before. Yara could try to split with the Iron Isles, but she already agreed to stay as part of the 6 kingdoms. It's not like she was forced into it. Same thing with Dorne.

2. coolerifyoudid

coolerifyoudid Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2013
    Male
    KC
    Ratings:
    +14,198 / 176 / -0
    Worst? Cersei (boinks brother, murders husband) and Ramsey (rewrote the book on domestic abuse) take offense at their omission.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Trice

Trice Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2010
    Ankeny, Iowa
    Ratings:
    +882 / 32 / -1
    No idea, I'd love to hear what this third moment is supposed to be too. Because for as many shocking moments and horrors as this show had, neither Shireen nor Hodor were especially huge moments for me. Maybe they felt more important to people who watched the show in real time and had longer to absorb them.

4. Dandy

Dandy Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2012
    Male
    Future CF Mod
    Western Iowa
    Ratings:
    +9,629 / 377 / -6
    He's the most powerful "magician" alive. Warg into Drogon or something!

D&D loved tv time for the dragons but avoided the Direwolves, Arya face changes and useful Bran warging after Hodor dies. Boooooo.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bret44

Bret44 Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Ag Ed Teacher
    Cedar River Valley
    Ratings:
    +5,804 / 124 / -0
    hy·per·bo·le
    /hīˈpərbəlē/
    Learn to pronounce
    noun
    1. exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally.
      "he vowed revenge with oaths and hyperboles"
      synonyms: exaggeration, overstatement, magnification, amplification, embroidery, embellishment, overplaying, excess, overkill; More

6. isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
    Student
    Ames, IA
    Ratings:
    +2,933 / 295 / -11
    Tyrion described her perfectly to Jon. She had become convinced that all her actions were righteous because she had done some truly great things by freeing people from tyrants in Essos. She was convinced that everything she did in King's Landing and would do in the future was justified because she was going to make the world a better place, and could do no wrong.

Jon went to talk some sense into her one last time, but she basically repeated exactly what Tyrion said when she described her burning down King's Landing as necessary to put an end to the tyrany. She really thought it was justified for doing the "greater good". I don't think Jon had decided to kill her until that moment. He realized she was too far gone.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
    Student
    Ames, IA
    Ratings:
    +2,933 / 295 / -11
    That's true too.

8. Mr Janny

Mr Janny Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
    Staff Member Bookie SuperFanatic

Mar 27, 2006
    Ratings:
    +10,461 / 293 / -0
    I'm not so sure it's all that different. Her father thought that the things he was doing were right and justified as well. Madness is in the eye of the beholder, I guess. Megalomania/insanity/vengeance, whatever you want to call it, it was clear that the only way Dany knew how to be in power was through violence. Across the sea, it was obfuscated because her violence was directed at those who "deserved" it, but it was clear that she only knew one way to deal with opposition. When you're a hammer....

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Trice

Trice Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2010
    Ankeny, Iowa
    Ratings:
    +882 / 32 / -1
    Great responses. I want to think about this some more. Because I saw her reaction at the end of E4 and her face in E5 right before she burns the city as the show portraying her as insane and I'm having a hard time squaring that with what we saw last night, which is its own form of insanity, but different I guess.

But that could absolutely be a me problem and not a show problem.

• Like Like x 1
  10. coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
    Male
    KC
    Ratings:
    +14,198 / 176 / -0
    I took it like last week's Dany showed the world that she was capable of irrational madness, but it was not a full-blown fall into insanity. Her actions, coupled with her repeated views of how her reign was going to be obtained, set the stage for her not being the ruler that she was perceived to be.

When I look at the her whole body of work, the change really wasn't as drastic as I initially thought. I would have preferred a different trigger (like the aforementioned script change where Rhaegal gets killed by Euron after the bells were sounded), but it wasn't as bad as a lot of people are making it, IMO.

I thought the scene last night with her essentially pleading with Jon to be her ally after she knew she ****** up, only to have Jon kill her was done well. She felt alone through most of the series and ended up that way in the end.

I agree with the general consensus is that more episodes to smooth her transition would have been nice, but I'm ok with how they utilized the time they had.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
    Male
    KC
    Ratings:
    +14,198 / 176 / -0
    LOL, yeah, I know. I laughed at what you wrote. I just started thinking about how GOT wasn't really a how-to book on marriage....or parenting.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. jdoggivjc

jdoggivjc Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2006
    Publications Manager
    Macomb, MI
    Ratings:
    +9,492 / 215 / -1
    2. I would disagree as per the canon Dorne is the least populous region of the Kingdoms, which means they just don’t have the population base to draw a powerful enough army. It’s the whole reason why in the books Doran Martel resorted to convoluted plots to get his revenge on the Lannisters - he doesn’t have the power to go head-on with the Lannisters, much less all of Westeros. Even with the rest of the Westerosi forces decimated from the various wars throughout the saga, Dorne probably still doesn’t have the strength to do much. Keep in mind just how much the North was decimated throughout the series, and yet Sansa claims they still have 10K Northmen waiting outside the city walls. Dorne’s source of strength has always been in its ability to defend itself as it inhabits a landscape that’s almost impossible to invade - it’s a desert (even the Targaryens couldn’t conquer it - Dorne had to be “married” into the kingdom). It’s strength is not as an attacking army.

https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Dorne

7. The Reach is far from a depopulated area. With the North’s independence, it’s now the largest region in area in the Kingdoms. It’s a wealthy region as well, considered to be the second wealthiest next to the Westerlands (if you ignore the fact that the gold mines under Casterly Rock are now dry). It’s also a heavily populated area, and I forget where I read it but I think it’s population is second only to the Crownlands. Why do you think everyone is so hesitant to give a sellsword control of the Reach, and Bronn initially scoffs when Tyrion actually does so? He’s essentially being handed the keys to the second most powerful region in the Kingdoms, not to mention he now controls the food supply of the Kingdoms.

https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Reach

I guess what I’m saying is it feels like you are greatly overestimating Dorne’s position while greatly underestimating The Reach’s.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. jdoggivjc

jdoggivjc Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2006
    Publications Manager
    Macomb, MI
    Ratings:
    +9,492 / 215 / -1
    Tyrion did a great job of laying out Dany’s “descent into madness” while pleading to Jon, didn’t he?

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Rural

Rural Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2010
    Ratings:
    +9,559 / 403 / -4
    I watched for the first time last night, anybody got time to fill in what I missed?

• Funny Funny x 3
  15. coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
    Male
    KC
    Ratings:
    +14,198 / 176 / -0
    Worst parent in GOT? Gotta be Crastor, doesn't it?

Here are the options I could think of:

Crastor
    Stannis
    Walder Frey
    Balon Greyjoy
    Lysa Tully
    Robert Baratheon
    Tywin (to Tyrion anyway)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. State43

State43 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2010
    Graphic Designer
    Omaha, NE
    Ratings:
    +2,873 / 143 / -3
    22A82B0F-70D8-4698-8937-18445E4934D9.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. State43

State43 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2010
    Graphic Designer
    Omaha, NE
    Ratings:
    +2,873 / 143 / -3
    01B55103-773C-4D25-85E5-A37988F626A5.jpeg Lol

• Funny Funny x 4
  18. Tre4ISU

Tre4ISU Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    Ninja
    Estherville
    Ratings:
    +5,624 / 320 / -12
    Last night kind of helped me define it. Her madness is that she believed she was the sole determiner of good/bad or right/wrong.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
    Male
    KC
    Ratings:
    +14,198 / 176 / -0
    I've heard it was the worst show ever. I wouldn't waste my time with another episode.

20. ImJustKCClone

ImJustKCClone Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Professional Pongid Pundit
    traipsing thru the treetops
    Ratings:
    +21,628 / 455 / -3
    Tarly was kind of an ass to Samwell...

• Agree Agree x 1