PODCAST: Episode 1 with Georges Niang

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Here's a question I'd really like to hear Georges answer as you were talking about THT. Georges really seamed to be pushing for Talen to stay here and develop at ISU (as did I).

Now what are the advantages to the NBA to draft him this young and develop him on their dime and not at ISU? Would it be better for THT to develop at ISU or with an NBA team, yes he'll make some money in the mean time but long-term which path gives him the best abilities / career?

Reactions: isutrevman

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Great podcast. My only constructive criticism would be CW should have pressed more on Niang about his Iowa visit :)

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Great podcast. My only constructive criticism would be CW should have pressed more on Niang about his Iowa visit :)

A long-term teaser. That was really funny listening to Georges talking about running from the Sukup through a bean field.

Reactions: mj4cy

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club

They agreed to do a podcast leading up to the Iowa football game. You can't give it all away on the first episode. Georges just needs to get into the JTS tailgate lots and he'll spill it all

• Agree
Reactions: mj4cy

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
They agreed to do a podcast leading up to the Iowa football game. You can't give it all away on the first episode. Georges just needs to get into the JTS tailgate lots and he'll spill it all

Agreed I'm just impatient.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I'm convinced if GN didn't get hurt we would have had a final four or maybe even a NT

I was in a meeting when I learned that he broke his foot, absolutely broke my heart when I heard that, we were looking so good. I know Sig has shown some graphics about how that wasn't the best team, but damn they were playing great ball at that time.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I was in a meeting when I learned that he broke his foot, absolutely broke my heart when I heard that, we were looking so good. I know Sig has shown some graphics about how that wasn't the best team, but damn they were playing great ball at that time.

You were in a meeting on a Friday night?!? ;) Actually, I don't know that we found out it was broken on Friday night. It was all kind of a blur.

I was in San Antonio during that game and for that game we were in the lower level behind the NC Central bench. I watched Georges go up and get hurt and then (if I remember right) he played for a couple more minutes and actually scored before going out. I knew right away that it was bad. To be honest, I thought maybe he had gotten hit in the stomach. I was sure he had injured his spleen for some reason ;) But something clearly wasn't right. At some point right before the game ended, I'm sure that someone came and told Fred something and you could just tell by the look on his face that he had just gotten bad news. (I'd love to know if he was really told that it was broken during the game, but I'd bet a lot of money he was. He literally looked like someone killed his dog.) We rode a bus with a lot of Iowa State fans back to the Riverwalk and everyone was happy and excited (because if you weren't right up close, the injury didn't appear that bad) and I was just sick. I just kept telling the people I was with that I didn't think Georges was coming back.

As far as winning the whole thing, who the hell knows? We could have lost against North Carolina with Georges for all we know.

A last minute road trip to San Antonio with my Dad and 2 of my sisters is one of the best memories I have. Leaving after work on Wednesday from Waterloo and Des Moines and getting back Monday at 5, is kind of crazy, but it was all sorts of fun.

Reactions: CyTwins and NWICY

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
You were in a meeting on a Friday night?!? ;) Actually, I don't know that we found out it was broken on Friday night. It was all kind of a blur.

I was in San Antonio during that game and for that game we were in the lower level behind the NC Central bench. I watched Georges go up and get hurt and then (if I remember right) he played for a couple more minutes and actually scored before going out. I knew right away that it was bad. To be honest, I thought maybe he had gotten hit in the stomach. I was sure he had injured his spleen for some reason ;) But something clearly wasn't right. At some point right before the game ended, I'm sure that someone came and told Fred something and you could just tell by the look on his face that he had just gotten bad news. (I'd love to know if he was really told that it was broken during the game, but I'd bet a lot of money he was. He literally looked like someone killed his dog.) We rode a bus with a lot of Iowa State fans back to the Riverwalk and everyone was happy and excited (because if you weren't right up close, the injury didn't appear that bad) and I was just sick. I just kept telling the people I was with that I didn't think Georges was coming back.

As far as winning the whole thing, who the hell knows? We could have lost against North Carolina with Georges for all we know.

A last minute road trip to San Antonio with my Dad and 2 of my sisters is one of the best memories I have. Leaving after work on Wednesday from Waterloo and Des Moines and getting back Monday at 5, is kind of crazy, but it was all sorts of fun.

Learned it Sat morning, but yes unluckily I was in a meeting, friend sent me a text. Glad you made great memories with your family on a fun trip.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Can the picture you use for the podcast be George sipping Coffey looking at the picture of George hitting the game winner over Iowa?

istater7

Mar 31, 2010
Georges is a great storyteller, excited to hear some of the behind the scenes stuff that he can share about his 4 years in Ames.

• Agree
Reactions: coolmooinlou

August

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2018
Colorado

I was at hat game as well and you remember correctly. I was surprised he kept on playing because he was hobbling badly, but he did AND he continued to score points. Would love to hear his take on that game moment on a future podcast.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Love GN, the only thing I thought was interesting was how much he express the greatness of IAst fans love, then can't understand the how fans are taking the loss of CFH. But it was great to hear all of it from GN! Thanks great stuff.

Most likely, because he's not insecure and paranoid enough to have some sort of insane and idiotic demand that CFH never work again and get a paycheck from anywhere besides Iowa State in the deranged belief that by doing so means that he hates Iowa State and can't be a Cyclone anymore.

FarmClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 3, 2009
i happen 2 know fijita man mark. i will send him a fax with inquiry

That guy hasn’t been in business for quite a few years unfortunately. I hope I’m not breaking this news to you. Right before he shut things down my buddies and I all went there about 12 times in one week. Man I miss that place.