Friday OT: Its that time again.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I'm not catholic, but just like not being irish and celebrating 3/17 with green or fighting, I give something up for Lent. With Lent season upon us, what are people giving up or what would you give up if you practiced it.

I always give up celibacy, unfortunately the wife has more say in that than I do.

I do see @Angie apparently has joined in by giving up Friday OTs.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Friends of ours set up a swear jar. A quarter a word. I told them good thing I didn't live in there house as I asked them if they take credit cards. Good thing we are going to watch the game at their house tonight!

• Funny
Reactions: oldman

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Personally never understood this kind of stuff or NY resolutions, etc.

If something's bad for you or you think it's unhealthy, you can abstain from it any time of the year on your own merit.

That said walking on ice or snow is something I'm ready to give up for about 7 months and I need to kick the habit of 5 hour energies.

Reactions: cyclones500

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Not Catholic, but like the concept of Lent so we're participating this year. Wife I and gave up sweets/dessert. She made it to 10am on Ash Wednesday before asking me if she could bow out.

I also gave up social media. Deleted facebook/twitter/instagram from my phone. It's amazing how much more free time I'm finding myself with. Also, it's unsettling how often I catch myself subconsciously grabbing my phone only to realize the apps are gone.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Not Catholic, but like the concept of Lent so we're participating this year. Wife I and gave up sweets/dessert. She made it to 10am on Ash Wednesday before asking me if she could bow out.

I also gave up social media. Deleted facebook/twitter/instagram from my phone. It's amazing how much more free time I'm finding myself with. Also, it's unsettling how often I catch myself subconsciously grabbing my phone only to realize the apps are gone.

I'm on here way too much but at least it's not selfies/checking in etc....or is it?

Getting rid of social media is a great feeling--apparently you can just go do stuff and it still happened even if you don't let online friends know.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I'm on here way too much but at least it's not selfies/checking in etc....or is it?

Getting rid of social media is a great feeling--apparently you can just go do stuff and it still happened even if you don't let online friends know.

Yeah, I'm learning to play the guitar with that free time. My wife refused to give up social media. It's been eye opening how much I notice that she's on her phone because I'm not on mine.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny

Is a message board considered social media?

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Is a message board considered social media?

For me, it's not. CF is not addictive to me like those other apps. I don't find myself going down a wormhole and losing an hour of my life on here. I enjoy the discussions and partake frequently, but I've never found myself so drawn in that I can't put it down. Also, my phone makes it hard to use CF since it's web based. I really only use it at work when I'm on my laptop.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
For me, it's not. CF is not addictive to me like those other apps. I don't find myself going down a wormhole and losing an hour of my life on here. I enjoy the discussions and partake frequently, but I've never found myself so drawn in that I can't put it down. Also, my phone makes it hard to use CF since it's web based. I really only use it at work when I'm on my laptop.
Yeah, CF isn't addictive, I can quit any time I want....

weR138

Feb 20, 2008

If something's bad for you or you think it's unhealthy, you can abstain from it any time of the year on your own merit.

That said walking on ice or snow is something I'm ready to give up for about 7 months and I need to kick the habit of 5 hour energies.

Lent is a symbolic gesture related to the Christian belief that Jesus died for humankind's sins...he gives up his life, we give up chocolate bars...

It doesn't have to be a vice or unhealthy.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL

I sort of agree with you, but there can be a psychological advantage in psyching yourself up to make a drastic change at some specific date in the future. New Years is a natural landing spot if you wanted to use it in that way. I don't think it is appropriate for Lent since a person generally is only changing for that specific period.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I sort of agree with you, but there can be a psychological advantage in psyching yourself up to make a drastic change at some specific date in the future. New Years is a natural landing spot if you wanted to use it in that way. I don't think it is appropriate for Lent since a person generally is only changing for that specific period.

Dates are significant. I believe there was a study done years ago that showed an overwhelming majority of people make life changes on Mondays or the first of the month. Just a natural break/date to pick as a starting off point. For folks practicing Lent, it's a significant day.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Lent is a symbolic gesture related to the Christian belief that Jesus died for humankind's sins...he gives up his life, we give up chocolate bars...

I'm responding for information purposes only and I hope this doesn't spark anything that drives us to the cave, but for those interested...

From my own Christian perspective, Lent is supposed to be a season of sacrifice to bring you closer to Christ. It's been co-opted to be "I'll give up pop for 40 days," but it's supposed to be much more than that. If you're practicing as a Christian, the idea is to sacrifice something in your life and replace it with something that strengthens your faith. For example, if you give up snacking between meals, whenever you feel hungry, the idea is that it is supposed to remind you of Christ's sacrifice. So you use that as a reminder of Him, and hopefully it brings about some change in your life and results in you being more appreciative/thankful when Easter comes.

Again, that's the idea, with a wide range of interpretation in between.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I'm responding for information purposes only and I hope this doesn't spark anything that drives us to the cave, but for those interested...

From my own Christian perspective, Lent is supposed to be a season of sacrifice to bring you closer to Christ. It's been co-opted to be "I'll give up pop for 40 days," but it's supposed to be much more than that. If you're practicing as a Christian, the idea is to sacrifice something in your life and replace it with something that strengthens your faith. For example, if you give up snacking between meals, whenever you feel hungry, the idea is that it is supposed to remind you of Christ's sacrifice. So you use that as a reminder of Him, and hopefully it brings about some change in your life and results in you being more appreciative/thankful when Easter comes.

Again, that's the idea, with a wide range of interpretation in between.

Also more info than to debate so it doesn’t go cave route. Lent and sacrificing had a more original assocIation of JC going into the wilderness and fasting for 40 days. So originally is was fasting but kinda got switched to no meat on friday and then basically just giving up something, Know several that do watermelon since no one really eats it then anyhow.

Reactions: throwittoblythe

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Which makes it all the more funny.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com

What is a New York resolution? ;);)

My view is similar, although I have no problem if someone wants to make a resolution or do a "lifestyle fast" for Lent, or whatever. Irks me, though, if a person outside of my family/socail circle asks "so what's your new year's resolution?"*

*Note: That doesn't happen often. But when it does ...

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
What is a New York resolution? ;);)

My view is similar, although I have no problem if someone wants to make a resolution or do a "lifestyle fast" for Lent, or whatever. Irks me, though, if a person outside of my family/socail circle asks "so what's your new year's resolution?"*

*Note: That doesn't happen often. But when it does ...

Yeah if people want to do it it's whatever keeps them going especially if it's something for the betterment.

But I can get to April and be like 'I need to lose weight' and then I'll (attempt to) do that.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron