MONDAY MUSINGS PODCAST: Is it time to panic?

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Panic...?

tenor.gif

Malone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 7, 2010
Des Moines
Props for calling things how they are @ChrisMWilliams

Dribble-drive defense has been terrible for some time and Lindell isn't draftable at this point in time.

I would be curious to hear your thoughts are re: why the downward slide? To me it seems to be lack of forcing accountability by our staff. It's interesting to hear your thoughts on the Lard situation regarding accountability, while our players repeatedly fail on defense and aren't pulled from the game or coached during the game.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016

Dribble-drive defense has been terrible for some time and Lindell isn't draftable at this point in time.

I would be curious to hear your thoughts are re: why the downward slide? To me it seems to be lack of forcing accountability by our staff. It's interesting to hear your thoughts on the Lard situation regarding accountability, while our players repeatedly fail on defense and aren't pulled from the game or coached during the game.

Just my two cents. We look tired on defense and have let bad habits settle in. If you remember early in the season at Maui, we were keeping the ball in front and filling gaps. It was textbook team defense that we hadn't seen here in awhile. We played with energy and pride.

Now we're freelancing and playing catch up. The next time Haliburton cuts off a drive will be the first in months. Wigginton wants to play aggressive on defense, but doesn't have the feet or feel to stay in front. THT hasn't been in a defensive stance in months. The perimeter defense is atrocious.

• Agree
Reactions: AttakOfDaClones

Malone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 7, 2010
Des Moines
Just my two cents. We look tired on defense and have let bad habits settle in. If you remember early in the season at Maui, we were keeping the ball in front and filling gaps. It was textbook team defense that we hadn't seen here in awhile. We played with energy and pride.

Now we're freelancing and playing catch up. The next time Haliburton cuts off a drive will be the first in months. Wigginton wants to play aggressive on defense, but doesn't have the feet or feel to stay in front. THT hasn't been in a defensive stance in months. The perimeter defense is atrocious.

Agree with all of that. The question remains: WHY? What's changed? Why is it getting worse with seemingly no direction from the staff?

Cybball37

Dec 11, 2015
Central Iowa
No panic, but man is it frustrating to watch. Seems like a lot of "things" going on behind the scenes. No conspiracy stuff. Just college kids. Somewhat checked out, loss of fire, homework, girlfriends, sick of each other. Who knows but it's showing. They need to shake the funk and get their heads into it as March has arrived.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I'm very excited to see the Women's BB team play tonight. Love the fact that they enter the game as the #2 seed in the Big 12 tournament. A decisive victory will only help bring the NCAA tournament to Ames!

Dingus

May 23, 2013

This is what I don’t get. Lack of execution is on the players. But...
“Keep your guy out of the lane and when a shot goes up, box out. Don’t want to do that? Hey Talley, want to earn some minutes?”

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
What is there to panic over at this point? Regular season title was already lost. A great seed and in theory a nice path was already not likely. It’s also a crapshoot either way.

I guess panic over the floor for this team being a lot lower than it should be and that this group doesn’t likely have the makings of a March run. But, we’ve watched some teams peaking at this time exit early, so who knows.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
What is there to panic over at this point? Regular season title was already lost. A great seed and in theory a nice path was already not likely. It’s also a crapshoot either way.

I guess panic over the floor for this team being a lot lower than it should be and that this group doesn’t likely have the makings of a March run. But, we’ve watched some teams peaking at this time exit early, so who knows.

Having an NCAA Tournament team and not being able to enjoy March. We want a reason to believe, and we're seeing the exact opposite.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron