Marty Tirrell arrested on fraud charges

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Was it Miller who said he was proud he hadn’t watched any of the women’s World Cup because 1.) it’s soccer and 2.) It’s women’s sports? (It might have been Brinson (spelling?)) Because that always struck me as worse (though I think dismissing all female sports because women play them is bad too). You’re actually proud you don’t like women’s sports? Give me a ******* break.

But sport's fans as a whole don't enjoy women's sports as much as men's. Look at attendance figures for almost any sport and any level. Looks at the cost difference in pricing for events. Sure, there are exceptions, but as a whole it is night and day difference in interest.

Would you rather have him be dishonest about his personal feelings and lie? What does that accomplish? I"d like my talk radio hosts to be as honest as possible.

Anecdotal story: My daughter's middle school group sang at the Drake game last Saturday. My wife's comment: "thank god it was the men's game and not the women's! That would have been painful to stay and watch!". The Drake women are very good. I believe they lead the Valley, but my wife who is a pretty big sport's fan, doesn't appreciate women's spectator sports because of the difference in athletic ability. Is she a bad person because of this?

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
But sport's fans as a whole don't enjoy women's sports as much as men's. Look at attendance figures for almost any sport and any level. Looks at the cost difference in pricing for events. Sure, there are exceptions, but as a whole it is night and day difference in interest.

Would you rather have him be dishonest about his personal feelings and lie? What does that accomplish? I"d like my talk radio hosts to be as honest as possible.

Anecdotal story: My daughter's middle school group sang at the Drake game last Saturday. My wife's comment: "thank god it was the men's game and not the women's! That would have been painful to stay and watch!". The Drake women are very good. I believe they lead the Valley, but my wife who is a pretty big sport's fan, doesn't appreciate women's spectator sports because of the difference in athletic ability. Is she a bad person because of this?
So a few things:
1.) I would say that if the reason you don't like the sport is actually because it's women playing, then yeah, you're kind of an *******. But I don't think that's the reason in a lot of instances. It's more of a case that the pace is slower, they can't dunk, etc.

2.) It just seems overly broad. I get someone not caring for women's basketball when they watch basketball a lot and notice the stylistic changes.But do you really also do that with the Olympics where you only watch those events once every four years and know nothing about them?

3.) My bigger issue is the "I'm proud I don't watch women's sports" comment that he or Brinson made, or the people who go into threads about women's sports on here and post about how little they care. Not liking women's sports doesn't make you a better person, man, or sports fan, and bashing those sports like that makes you an *******.

As for what I'd wish he'd do, I'm torn. On the one hand, I'm glad he's open about that because then I know he's an ass and to not support him or his show. On the other hand, there's something to be said for following the advice of "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all." If you don't like women's basketball, there's a big difference saying "it's just not for me" and lying.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

Is she a bad person because of this? No. She is a bad person because she married you!
jimlad.png Heeheehee. Channeling my inner Marty!

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
4. I've always been a Ken Miller fan. Even when he was with Marty. How many times did we hear Ken tell Marty "now that's not fair" after Marty would say something stupid. They had good chemistry early on. Ken has been great on his own since those days and I personally also enjoy him and Condon together. When they talk sports betting, its appointment listening for me and I don't even bet (yet...)

I don't believe Ken is a sexist. He's openly admitted woman's sports don't do it for him and I credit him for the honesty. The timing couldn't have been worse for him with the departure of Heather and KXNO, but as he said on Chris's podcast before he left, he was the one that chose Heather out of the names given to him. I don't always agree with Ken, but many of the times he rips on ISU there is some truth to it whether we want to hear it or not.

I'm sure Ken knew Marty was shady in many areas but probably not specifically how/when/who ect. However, Ken also seems the type "I worry about me, you worry about you" when not on the air together.

Here's my beef with Ken. I don't buy his explanation for a minute that he had absolutely no idea what Marty was up to when they weren't on the air together. I said in an earlier post that the media is much like politicians, they will go out of their way to protect their own. He can claim ignorance or turning a blind eye to it or whatever but he had a front row seat to what a horrible person Marty was for years including the F-Bomb tirade with Cotlar that got several people fired at KXNO. I am pretty positive before that even 1 of Marty's victims even called into the show to reveal how Marty screwed him over on a trip he tool with him to Augusta for the Masters and they had an on-air argument about what happened.

Even before this last time he and Marty got back together Des Moines CityView had already been keeping tabs on and reporting Marty's ongoing legal problems but Ken still ditched Heather and teamed up with the snake anyways. Ken left KXNO in January 2015, well here are some relevant articles from around or before that time that shows Marty was already was already involved in some pretty serious legal and financial problems that were becoming public. Either Ken had his head in the sand not to know about this or like a faithful politician does when he's around this stuff he just covers his own ass with some BS story or spin so he can claim he wasn't an enabler of the behavior.

http://www.dmcityview.com/civic-ski...l-a-divorce-a-lawsuit-and-another-bankruptcy/

http://www.dmcityview.com/civic-ski...that-40-million-buyers-club-refund-explained/

http://www.dmcityview.com/civic-ski...dennis-parker-is-out-a-new-foe-for-bisignano/

http://www.dmcityview.com/civic-ski...s-heitshusen-wheater-trials-set-divorce-news/

Some of you have your own opinions of Ken and are rightfully entitled to them, but I find it very hard to believe that he was totally clueless that this was going on while he was working with him when there was so much of it had become public knowledge around the same time he teamed back with Marty. And that doesn't even include all the message board fodder that was shared over the years about shady stuff Marty was up to. I'm sure Ken has done some good things too along the way as he apparently helped CW get his start so it's not all bad, but I have a hard time looking past someone knowingly working with such a snake and a sleazebag that Marty is. Had he cut ties with him permanently after the F-Bomb firing my opinion of him would be much different. Like he said the "and Miller" will always haunt him.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
So a few things:
1.) I would say that if the reason you don't like the sport is actually because it's women playing, then yeah, you're kind of an *******. But I don't think that's the reason in a lot of instances. It's more of a case that the pace is slower, they can't dunk, etc.

2.) It just seems overly broad. I get someone not caring for women's basketball when they watch basketball a lot and notice the stylistic changes.But do you really also do that with the Olympics where you only watch those events once every four years and know nothing about them?

3.) My bigger issue is the "I'm proud I don't watch women's sports" comment that he or Brinson made, or the people who go into threads about women's sports on here and post about how little they care. Not liking women's sports doesn't make you a better person, man, or sports fan, and bashing those sports like that makes you an *******.

As for what I'd wish he'd do, I'm torn. On the one hand, I'm glad he's open about that because then I know he's an ass and to not support him or his show. On the other hand, there's something to be said for following the advice of "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all." If you don't like women's basketball, there's a big difference saying "it's just not for me" and lying.

That is a reasonable response. Thx. That said, IMO if you are motivated to be in sport's talk radio as a career, you probably have a propensity to want to provide your opinion on sport's related things. If you didn't, you'd be a pretty boring as an on-air personality.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
That is a reasonable response. Thx. That said, IMO if you are motivated to be in sport's talk radio as a career, you probably have a propensity to want to provide your opinion on sport's related things. If you didn't, you'd be a pretty boring as an on-air personality.

I get where WooClone15 is coming from though. It's one thing to not care for women's sports but it's another thing to sort of go out of your way to be an ass about it and in a sense mock or make fun of them or women in sports in general. If someone doesn't care for women's sports then that's fine, they are entitled to that but why even bring the topic up and essentially mock and make fun of it on air. If you were professional about it all you'd need to say is "I don't follow women's sports so I'm not going to make a point to discuss them on my show" and that's all that would need to be said about it. It's no different than saying you don't follow NASCAR or soccer. Instead there were incidents where he and Marty would joke about it on their show and I posted a link to a DM Register article earlier in this thread where they got called out on a monologue where Ken basically said women don't belong in sports talk radio either. If that isn't sexist I don't know what is, he flat out said it jokingly or not but it went out over the air on their show so he still has to own the content of what he said. If someone poked fun at another race while on air then claimed later they were just joking you would still label what they said as racist so I don't give him a pass on some of the sexist comments he's made either whether it was tongue in cheek or not.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
I get where WooClone15 is coming from though. It's one thing to not care for women's sports but it's another thing to sort of go out of your way to be an ass about it and in a sense mock or make fun of them or women in sports in general. If someone doesn't care for women's sports then that's fine, they are entitled to that but why even bring the topic up and essentially mock and make fun of it on air. If you were professional about it all you'd need to say is "I don't follow women's sports so I'm not going to make a point to discuss them on my show" and that's all that would need to be said about it. It's no different than saying you don't follow NASCAR or soccer. Instead there were incidents where he and Marty would joke about it on their show and I posted a link to a DM Register article earlier in this thread where they got called out on a monologue where Ken basically said women don't belong in sports talk radio either. If that isn't sexist I don't know what is, he flat out said it jokingly or not but it went out over the air on their show so he still has to own the content of what he said. If someone poked fun at another race while on air then claimed later they were just joking you would still label what they said as racist so I don't give him a pass on some of the sexist comments he's made either whether it was tongue in cheek or not.

(bolded). That is boring. Right or wrong, we are most interested in sport talk radio to hear what the hosts opinions are. IMO the best way to ensure you don't keep a job in radio is to go all PC. Jim Rome is wealthier than any of us here, and he rips on soccer any chance he gets.

I'd rather have people be true to themselves then try and pander to what they think might be PC. If they are out of line, then they will be out of a job eventually. Telling the truth about what the feel/believe is better than pretending to toe some imaginary line to please the supposed masses. .

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
(bolded). That is boring. Right or wrong, we are most interested in sport talk radio to hear what the hosts opinions are. IMO the best way to ensure you don't keep a job in radio is to go all PC. Jim Rome is wealthier than any of us here, and he rips on soccer any chance he gets.

I'd rather have people be true to themselves then try and pander to what they think might be PC. If they are out of line, then they will be out of a job eventually. Telling the truth about what the feel/believe is better than pretending to toe some imaginary line to please the supposed masses. .
Yeah, and Rome’s also an *******. I’m glad we’ve finally established that “not being pc” just means being an *******.

Here’s the thing, Miller can say whatever he wants about women’s sports. I haven’t said otherwise. But when he does, he can’t then get upset when people call him out as an ******* and sexist.

Cyclonefan89

Oct 25, 2010
Ankeny
He denied that it went down that way. His reasoning was that he had enough clout to pick who he was going to work with, so he picked Heather. It's just that the deal with Marty came up at the same time and he had to make a decision.
He wanted to pick who he was going to work with, but it wasn't heather. Whoever was in charge of hiring wanted her (IIRC they liked the idea of Ken with a female cohost) and after their first day on air together he decided to quit.
He was talking with marty beforehand for something on 1700 but it fell through and they ended up with a show on 1350

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
He wanted to pick who he was going to work with, but it wasn't heather. Whoever was in charge of hiring wanted her (IIRC they liked the idea of Ken with a female cohost) and after their first day on air together he decided to quit.
He was talking with marty beforehand for something on 1700 but it fell through and they ended up with a show on 1350

I don't doubt that it went down that way. Ken said he chose Heather from the available candidates, which I doubt.

It's kind of nuts that we wouldn't have the Sports Fanatics show if that all hadn't went down.

It is a much better show than Ken and Heather would have been.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I don't doubt that it went down that way. Ken said he chose Heather from the available candidates, which I doubt.

It's kind of nuts that we wouldn't have the Sports Fanatics show if that all hadn't went down.

It is a much better show than Ken and Heather would have been.

Spot on right there. I know some here don't care for Heather regardless but she is a much better fit for a morning show than the 4-7pm time slot. Just seems that kind of show format fits her personality well and it's what she has done for a lot of her career here in Des Moines really dating back to when she was on KGGO.

Chris and Ross have turned out way better than most probably thought and they keep getting better over the years too. They are a perfect fit for that time slot in this market as you get both Hawks and Cyclones out of them and neither are blowhard homers and can be just as critical and insightful of their own teams as they are with the other.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
This is the part I have a problem with. I knew that a lot of Marty's investment things were scams, but I'm not sure I knew that a lot of his radio prizes were as well. I sure as hell would never have invested with him and anyone who did was beyond gullible. But I do feel bad for the people that thought they won a radio contest and then got scammed (i.e. the guy that got stranded in Dallas on a one way plane ticket). And it bothers me that guys like Keith or Ken or even CW sat on that information and didn't want to give him attention, but then let people continue to be scammed by him. To be fair, I don't know if they could say things b/c they are employees by Clear Channel, but then Clear Channel should be held responsible.

When I was hired, I was told to never mention his name on air or any other competitor. It's how the business works. You don't talk about your competition. We work for iHeart Media. We don't talk about Pandora or Tune In. Just the way it is. I work for good people there who I greatly respect. I don't expect everybody to understand it.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
When I was hired, I was told to never mention his name on air or any other competitor. It's how the business works. You don't talk about your competition. We work for iHeart Media. We don't talk about Pandora or Tune In. Just the way it is. I work for good people there who I greatly respect. I don't expect everybody to understand it.
He's been scum for a long time and is polarizing. I'd be surprised if the phone line wouldn't light up if you did bring him up, and that's probably not great for your station.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

C-Dubs sold out! jimlad.png chris williams emoji.png jimlad.png

Attachments

• jimlad.png
    jimlad.png
    922 bytes · Views: 1

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Everyone gets it under normal circumstances and it makes sense from a pure business standpoint. At least for me I think it is a misguided policy because it allowed Marty to continue to scam unwitting people. Marty should have been in jail a long time ago. The station had the power to shine the light on his behavior and chose to not do anything. I don’t blame you or any actual host. I blame the executive who made the policy.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron