Marty Tirrell arrested on fraud charges

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
A close friend of mine who used to teach at Woodward academy and live in Perry told me an interesting MT story tonight. My buddy won a spot on a call promotion to MT's show. He was 1 of 4 people that had a shot to win a car at I believe a Toyota dealership in Des Moines. So he and 3 other random call in winners showed up that Saturday at Toyota, but were told by the dealership that they didn't know anything about it. :eek:

Basically Marty ran some kind of false promo deal? My buddy said that he called in on Monday to find out what the hell the deal was. Someone from the radio station later gave him like a $20 gift card to Jethro's BBQ, and the station swept it under the rug. WTF?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
A close friend of mine who used to teach at Woodward academy and live in Perry told me an interesting MT story tonight. My buddy won a spot on a call promotion to MT's show. He was 1 of 4 people that had a shot to win a car at I believe a Toyota dealership in Des Moines. So he and 3 other random call in winners showed up that Saturday at Toyota, but were told by the dealership that they didn't know anything about it. :eek:

Basically Marty ran some kind of false promo deal? My buddy said that he called in on Monday to find out what the hell the deal was. Someone from the radio station later gave him like a $20 gift card to Jethro's BBQ, and the station swept it under the rug. WTF?
Toyota of DSM were big sponsors of Marty.

• Informative
Reactions: Omaha Cy

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Teaser on Facebook for tonight's Soundoff:

For the first time in many years, and after many requests, we'll finally re-air Hassel as Marty on SoundOff.

There's a reason we haven't previously.

We're live at 10:35 PM.

Reactions: CYdTracked
Jan 8, 2019
The Living Hell Marty Tirrell is getting what he deserves. You are a disgrace to the great state of Iowa. Eat **** in prison and never show your face on sports radio.

• Agree

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I guess i dont understand not covering the Marty story because of him being a competitor, when in likelihood that's not going to be the case here shortly.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I guess i dont understand not covering the Marty story because of him being a competitor, when in likelihood that's not going to be the case here shortly.

Ya and if his ratings were so horrible how was he a threat? He was in a position to be buried not in a position to benefit from getting “free publicity”.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

Maybe it was like hooters with their toy yoda deal for selling margaritas? Got it a mess with that also.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
IMHO:

1. I youtubed Mike and Mad Dog and while I thought you guys were going on the hyperbole train when you all said he copied that shows.....it turns out you all couldn't be more right. Holy buckets its verbatim from the jingle to the opening welcome ect....wow. How was he not sued for that? (probably was).

2. @ChrisMWilliams did a fantastic job interviewing Ken Miller a couple weeks ago and its worth a listen. I'm sure Chris (and other local personalities) have had to make sure to walk a fine line with how they've tried to handle some of Marty's shenanigans in the past as while it is news worthy, you want to error on the side of not directing listenership elsewhere.

3. Marty obviously had some talent. This is where I disagree a little with some of the current KXNO folks who have said he didn't have talent because he copied everything (see note 1 above). He certainly had the gift of gab, some showmanship, and sales skills. Sadly, he used all of those to screw others and ruin not only his own life, but many others. I often times would be mad/annoyed by the things he said but to his credit he had me listening. However like many others have already said, over time I stopped listening because it was the same garbage over and over.

4. I've always been a Ken Miller fan. Even when he was with Marty. How many times did we hear Ken tell Marty "now that's not fair" after Marty would say something stupid. They had good chemistry early on. Ken has been great on his own since those days and I personally also enjoy him and Condon together. When they talk sports betting, its appointment listening for me and I don't even bet (yet...)

I don't believe Ken is a sexist. He's openly admitted woman's sports don't do it for him and I credit him for the honesty. The timing couldn't have been worse for him with the departure of Heather and KXNO, but as he said on Chris's podcast before he left, he was the one that chose Heather out of the names given to him. I don't always agree with Ken, but many of the times he rips on ISU there is some truth to it whether we want to hear it or not.

I'm sure Ken knew Marty was shady in many areas but probably not specifically how/when/who ect. However, Ken also seems the type "I worry about me, you worry about you" when not on the air together.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines

IlliniCy

May 21, 2008
Teaser on Facebook for tonight's Soundoff:

For the first time in many years, and after many requests, we'll finally re-air Hassel as Marty on SoundOff.

There's a reason we haven't previously.

We're live at 10:35 PM.
I wonder if they'll ever let go of Hassel. The number of references they still make to him is borderline creepy. Not to mention, he's a ......nozzle.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Murph addressed this on Soundoff last night.

Marty was an attention seeker...almost addicted to it.

Just like an internet troll, they decided not to feed it.

Here you go: https://whotv.com/2019/02/17/murphys-law-the-predictable-fall-of-marty-tirrell/

I understand the KXNO position of not mentioning anything about him over the years because he was a competitor, albeit a pretty fledgling one. Marty is no longer a competitor, so the KXNO people are opening up about him.

However, I don't quite understand Murph's position of not mentioning anything about him because Marty was an egomaniac who longed for the attention, but opening up about him now. Marty is probably still an egomaniac craving attention and somehow enjoying the attention he is being given.

I still wish more had been done in the media to drawn attention to him in time to spare more victims. It seems that the people in the know probably thought that it was inevitable that the law would catch up with him and just waited rather than blow the whistle on him.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
I understand the KXNO position of not mentioning anything about him over the years because he was a competitor, albeit a pretty fledgling one. Marty is no longer a competitor, so the KXNO people are opening up about him.

However, I don't quite understand Murph's position of not mentioning anything about him because Marty was an egomaniac who longed for the attention, but opening up about him now. Marty is probably still an egomaniac craving attention and somehow enjoying the attention he is being given.

I still wish more had been done in the media to drawn attention to him in time to spare more victims. It seems that the people in the know probably thought that it was inevitable that the law would catch up with him and just waited rather than blow the whistle on him.

I would assume they wanted to wait until he no longer had access to a mic. That is pretty much guaranteed now.

• Agree

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

This is the part I have a problem with. I knew that a lot of Marty's investment things were scams, but I'm not sure I knew that a lot of his radio prizes were as well. I sure as hell would never have invested with him and anyone who did was beyond gullible. But I do feel bad for the people that thought they won a radio contest and then got scammed (i.e. the guy that got stranded in Dallas on a one way plane ticket). And it bothers me that guys like Keith or Ken or even CW sat on that information and didn't want to give him attention, but then let people continue to be scammed by him. To be fair, I don't know if they could say things b/c they are employees by Clear Channel, but then Clear Channel should be held responsible.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I would assume they wanted to wait until he no longer had access to a mic. That is pretty much guaranteed now.

That's what I figured, too. No chance for him to retaliate now, plus the way this story dominated the local news last week they couldn't be expected to ignore it. Whether anybody wanted to talk about it or not they had to address the elephant in the room.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
This is the part I have a problem with. I knew that a lot of Marty's investment things were scams, but I'm not sure I knew that a lot of his radio prizes were as well. I sure as hell would never have invested with him and anyone who did was beyond gullible. But I do feel bad for the people that thought they won a radio contest and then got scammed (i.e. the guy that got stranded in Dallas on a one way plane ticket). And it bothers me that guys like Keith or Ken or even CW sat on that information and didn't want to give him attention, but then let people continue to be scammed by him. To be fair, I don't know if they could say things b/c they are employees by Clear Channel, but then Clear Channel should be held responsible.

Marty hasn't been associated with Clear Channel for a long time. 4 years (probably longer than that) ?

JDDDCy

Dec 20, 2017
A few years back Marty started doing a weekly live remote at a friends business. I called him and he had a hard time believing Marty was a scumbag. I asked him to just google MT and then let me know what he thought. I believe the live remotes were cancelled 2 weeks later.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
IMHO:

1. I youtubed Mike and Mad Dog and while I thought you guys were going on the hyperbole train when you all said he copied that shows.....it turns out you all couldn't be more right. Holy buckets its verbatim from the jingle to the opening welcome ect....wow. How was he not sued for that? (probably was).

2. @ChrisMWilliams did a fantastic job interviewing Ken Miller a couple weeks ago and its worth a listen. I'm sure Chris (and other local personalities) have had to make sure to walk a fine line with how they've tried to handle some of Marty's shenanigans in the past as while it is news worthy, you want to error on the side of not directing listenership elsewhere.

3. Marty obviously had some talent. This is where I disagree a little with some of the current KXNO folks who have said he didn't have talent because he copied everything (see note 1 above). He certainly had the gift of gab, some showmanship, and sales skills. Sadly, he used all of those to screw others and ruin not only his own life, but many others. I often times would be mad/annoyed by the things he said but to his credit he had me listening. However like many others have already said, over time I stopped listening because it was the same garbage over and over.

4. I've always been a Ken Miller fan. Even when he was with Marty. How many times did we hear Ken tell Marty "now that's not fair" after Marty would say something stupid. They had good chemistry early on. Ken has been great on his own since those days and I personally also enjoy him and Condon together. When they talk sports betting, its appointment listening for me and I don't even bet (yet...)

I don't believe Ken is a sexist. He's openly admitted woman's sports don't do it for him and I credit him for the honesty. The timing couldn't have been worse for him with the departure of Heather and KXNO, but as he said on Chris's podcast before he left, he was the one that chose Heather out of the names given to him. I don't always agree with Ken, but many of the times he rips on ISU there is some truth to it whether we want to hear it or not.

I'm sure Ken knew Marty was shady in many areas but probably not specifically how/when/who ect. However, Ken also seems the type "I worry about me, you worry about you" when not on the air together.
Was it Miller who said he was proud he hadn’t watched any of the women’s World Cup because 1.) it’s soccer and 2.) It’s women’s sports? (It might have been Brinson (spelling?)) Because that always struck me as worse (though I think dismissing all female sports because women play them is bad too). You’re actually proud you don’t like women’s sports? Give me a ******* break.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron