Winter Weather 1/18-1/19

Herkster

Feb 12, 2016
Iowa Storm Chasing Network just put out 4 different model runs, all showing that dry slot in western Iowa. One model moving everything north quite a ways, but most are relatively consistent.
Not sure what our weather folks on this site think about them (Iowa Storm Chasing group), but I feel they have been pretty darn accurate the last two years.

upload_2019-1-18_8-55-27.png

upload_2019-1-18_8-55-39.png

upload_2019-1-18_8-55-49.png

upload_2019-1-18_8-55-57.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-18_8-55-1.png
    upload_2019-1-18_8-55-1.png
    105.1 KB · Views: 3

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
What brand of smoker are you using?

Green Mountain Daniel Boone with the WiFi option (love it!). Have the thermal cover for it and I added a second internal shelf. I can smoke six 9-10 lb pork shoulders at a time to give you an idea how much internal space it has. I've smoked when it has been snowing out before, but never with the forecasted low temps and windchills. Could be challenging. Wings, whole chicken and chicken breasts on Saturday, briskets going in early AM on Sunday.

Cy Hard

Jan 5, 2008
Polka City
I was at Fareway last night with two bags of lumberjack pellets on my shoulder and was at the check out line. A couple of gals with full carts kinda looked at me. I told them, "Most people are stocking up with bread and milk. I've got some briskets to smoke on Saturday and I'm outta pellets." They both replied, "Where do you live? I'll be over!" o_Oo_O
So they’ll be the ones smoking the meat...amirite!

dmdom

Oct 28, 2014
Green Mountain Daniel Boone with the WiFi option (love it!). Have the thermal cover for it and I added a second internal shelf. I can smoke six 9-10 lb pork shoulders at a time to give you an idea how much internal space it has. I've smoked when it has been snowing out before, but never with the forecasted low temps and windchills. Could be challenging. Wings, whole chicken and chicken breasts on Saturday, briskets going in early AM on Sunday.

Nice! I used to have the Jim Bowie(pre wifi) with the added shelf. Sold it to my brother in law. I upgraded to an insulated pellet smoker. Cookshack FEC-100. Outside temp and conditions are no longer a factor. Keep yours out of the wind and it will be fine, but will use a lot of pellets. 20190118_083538.jpg IMG_20190118_42341.jpg

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
Iowa Storm Chasing Network just put out 4 different model runs, all showing that dry slot in western Iowa. One model moving everything north quite a ways, but most are relatively consistent.
Not sure what our weather folks on this site think about them (Iowa Storm Chasing group), but I feel they have been pretty darn accurate the last two years.

I've always appreciated their insight, and always seem fairly quick to call out the "viral" Facebook shares of models that are still a week or two out. I think today's storm originally showed this system dumping 12+ inches statewide about a week ago, so a lot of people were getting unnecessarily excited.

• Agree
Reactions: Herkster

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Starting a Dead Pool on you guys.

Censv93WAAATrT_.jpg

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
With the wifi app I am able to base pellet usage to outdoor temp. I can only assume pellet usage will be high though.

Herkster

Feb 12, 2016
Dry air picking up steam? Appears to be a pocket of nothing south and west of Algona right now, and how the storm looks to be tracking thus far, makes it appear it might stay that way? Is there a tight gradient around the Ft Dodge area where snow totals are going to be vastly different over a 30 mile range?

I see they took away a few of the winter storm warnings already as well.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
So, any experts ready to give your "official" forecast now that the storm is "almost here?" Accu-weather is saying 2-4 inches through the whole weekend. Hardly the snowpocalypse I was expecting.

FDWxMan

Jan 31, 2009
Des Moines
Dry air picking up steam? Appears to be a pocket of nothing south and west of Algona right now, and how the storm looks to be tracking thus far, makes it appear it might stay that way? Is there a tight gradient around the Ft Dodge area where snow totals are going to be vastly different over a 30 mile range?

I see they took away a few of the winter storm warnings already as well.

Yes.
Here's where our changes settled last night. Cutoff for SE Iowa higher amounts again hanging around DSM. 6-8 southeast of here.

Another cutoff in Northern Iowa. Fort Dodge probably on the lighter end with another heavy area near Minnesota border.

Admittedly, I'm not particularly confident. That wedge in Western Iowa has been tough to pin down. Purple areas are where 6-8+ are most possible.

FDWxMan

Jan 31, 2009
Des Moines
So, any experts ready to give your "official" forecast now that the storm is "almost here?" Accu-weather is saying 2-4 inches through the whole weekend. Hardly the snowpocalypse I was expecting.
I'd say this still mostly stands. Would likely drag Fort Dodge and Marshalltown an inch and a half lower probably.
chart.jpg

FDWxMan

Jan 31, 2009
Des Moines
Algona still isn't getting much, I'm not too far north of there and it hasn't stopped all day. Pretty light at the moment, hopefully it picks back up. I have grand plans of the wife and kids getting snowed in at the inlaws.
Yeah, I don't know about that. Dry air is really pushing that gradient north.

Reactions: aauummm

Herkster

Feb 12, 2016
Yeah, I don't know about that. Dry air is really pushing that gradient north.

Oh well, such is the weather. Still looking like we'll get some measurable snow, and decent measurable up here in the northern 1/3 of Kossuth county. Probably have 2" at least on the ground already.