Winter Weather 1/18-1/19

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
O'Conner KCCI 4-7 inches of snow around Ames
Ritter WHO 3.3 inches of snow around Ames

Meteorology Death Match in our Future?

This is what I don’t understand. Can you weather people explain? Why do 4 different weather stations predict 4 different amounts. I’ve seen 2-4. I’ve seen 3-7. I’ve seen 4-6. I’ve seen 6-8. I get it’s tough but just say 1-8 if that’s the case!

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
This is what I don’t understand. Can you weather people explain? Why do 4 different weather stations predict 4 different amounts. I’ve seen 2-4. I’ve seen 3-7. I’ve seen 4-6. I’ve seen 6-8. I get it’s tough but just say 1-8 if that’s the case!

It's based on interpretations of various computer models (which are based on a whole ton of data from past weather systems), but there are a ton of factors that play into how they move and how they react, and not all of the factors are 100% understood. So it mostly comes down to a highly educated guess (but a guess nonetheless).

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I was at Fareway last night with two bags of lumberjack pellets on my shoulder and was at the check out line. A couple of gals with full carts kinda looked at me. I told them, "Most people are stocking up with bread and milk. I've got some briskets to smoke on Saturday and I'm outta pellets." They both replied, "Where do you live? I'll be over!" o_Oo_O

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
I was at Fareway last night with two bags of lumberjack pellets on my shoulder and was at the check out line. A couple of gals with full carts kinda looked at me. I told them, "Most people are stocking up with bread and milk. I've got some briskets to smoke on Saturday and I'm outta pellets." They both replied, "Where do you live? I'll be over!" o_Oo_O

Give them the 8'' inches!

Reactions: isutrevman

dmdom

Oct 28, 2014
What brand of smoker are you using?

Herkster

Feb 12, 2016
Damn soft society.
Everyone at work keeps telling me that schools now have to close if we are in a Winter Storm Warning? I haven't been able to prove if this is true or not, but if it is, that would be why sooo many schools cancelled early.

What brand of smoker are you using?

I know that wasn't directed at me, but everyone should be using a Weber Smokey Mountain. Just too simple to screw much up with, plus, wood and charcoal is the best besides 100% wood.

Reactions: Blackhawk6515

Herkster

Feb 12, 2016
Also, Accuweather, who usually has storms with forecasted precip at 10x what it's going to be, has us for 2-4" total today. Weird.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Everyone at work keeps telling me that schools now have to close if we are in a Winter Storm Warning? I haven't been able to prove if this is true or not, but if it is, that would be why sooo many schools cancelled early.

I know that wasn't directed at me, but everyone should be using a Weber Smokey Mountain. Just too simple to screw much up with, plus, wood and charcoal is the best besides 100% wood.

That's the "if it endangers just one person, don't do it" mentality. And we wonder why our children grow up mostly refusing to take any risks.

FDWxMan

Jan 31, 2009
Des Moines
Here's where our changes settled last night. Cutoff for SE Iowa higher amounts again hanging around DSM. 6-8 southeast of here.

Another cutoff in Northern Iowa. Fort Dodge probably on the lighter end with another heavy area near Minnesota border.
chart.jpg

Admittedly, I'm not particularly confident. That wedge in Western Iowa has been tough to pin down. Purple areas are where 6-8+ are most possible.
map.jpg

Help Support Us

Become a patron