Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
133 Gomez over Sykora 8-6 SV1
141 Leisure over Degen (Sawyer) 8-7
149 Degen (Jarrett) over Van Maanen 16-5

Iowa State 29 North Dakota State 7

So, we took 8 of 10 on their home mat.

Nice. Thanks.

Doesn't seem like it should be a big deal but we were dropping these kinds of duals left and right not too long ago. Nice to see the progress.

Htowncyfan

Mar 18, 2018
Fantastic night. We won 8 of 10 on the road with a bad ref against a ranked team. This are precisely the type of circumstances where we would have under performed and lost pre-Dresser. Our starters showed up at 9 of 10 weights right after the holidays and a big tournament. No excuses. Strong performances ( including 125 where it sounds like we were VERY close). Dresser has the program rolling. Keep it going boys!

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
Fantastic night. We won 8 of 10 on the road with a bad ref against a ranked team. This are precisely the type of circumstances where we would have under performed and lost pre-Dresser. Our starters showed up at 9 of 10 weights right after the holidays and a big tournament. No excuses. Strong performances ( including 125 where it sounds like we were VERY close). Dresser has the program rolling. Keep it going boys!
I don't know what the coaching staff has been doing, but we weren't performing anything like this last year. I like it.

Htowncyfan

Mar 18, 2018
I don't know what the coaching staff has been doing, but we weren't performing anything like this last year. I like it.

A great question with many answers. We have a long way to go, but we have come a long way. Why? 110 percent effort is required every day, by every one of them. Zero tolerance for anything less. We lost at least one very fine wrestler because of this standard. But everyone else watched it happen—and the message sunk in. Guys are in shape. Winning matches at the end. Showing up every meet and every tournament. Look at the season records of Dance, Chisko, Epperly, Haught, Waltz etc at V Tech during Dresser’s time there. They regularly wrestled 35-40 matches per year and were rarely upset by lesser foes. And they got better as time went by. Your Head Coach has officially brought that culture to this team. No more mystical no shows, not having enough matches at the end of the year etc. And the talent in this year’s redshirt Freshman class and the one coming behind it causes even more motivation from within by keeping everyone on their toes. I Haven’t been this excited about our future in over ten years.

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
A great question with many answers. We have a long way to go, but we have come a long way. Why? 110 percent effort is required every day, by every one of them. Zero tolerance for anything less. We lost at least one very fine wrestler because of this standard. But everyone else watched it happen—and the message sunk in. Guys are in shape. Winning matches at the end. Showing up every meet and every tournament. Look at the season records of Dance, Chisko, Epperly, Haught, Waltz etc at V Tech during Dresser’s time there. They regularly wrestled 35-40 matches per year and were rarely upset by lesser foes. And they got better as time went by. Your Head Coach has officially brought that culture to this team. No more mystical no shows, not having enough matches at the end of the year etc. And the talent in this year’s redshirt Freshman class and the one coming behind it causes even more motivation from within by keeping everyone on their toes. I Haven’t been this excited about our future in over ten years.
He let almost everyone go last year except Parker and Straw (I'm not counting the redshirt class) and maybe he just wanted guys with the right attitude, in spite of what talent they had (and we lost some good ones). I've been a bit surprised by the huge turnaround but it's been a good surprise and I maybe it's the culture as you say.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
What's a fair timeline on being in the elite tier of wrestling? To me it seems like this is ahead of schedule but I don't know a lot or follow much beyond results.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Here's the release from tonight:

AMES, Iowa – No. 21 Iowa State (3-1, 1-0 Big 12) secured its first Big 12 victory of the season with a 29-7 victory over No. 23 North Dakota State (6-4, 2-3 Big 12). The Cyclones one eight of 10 bouts in Fargo, including three by bonus-point margin.

At 157 pounds, redshirt junior Chase Straw put the Cyclones on the board. In a high scoring match, Straw racked up five takedowns against Nick Knutson. He also turned the Bison for a four-point near fall and worked hard on top, garnering 3:34 of riding time in a 17-8 major decision victory.

Redshirt freshman Marcus Coleman jumped out to an early 6-2 lead over Lorenzo De La Riva. After a scoreless second period from Coleman, De La Riva cut the score to 6-5. Coleman secured a late takedown in the third to win it 8-7.

Redshirt sophomore Sam Colbray locked up four takedowns and compiled 2:31 of riding time as he went on to defeat Michael Otomo by 10-3 decision.

Heading to intermission, redshirt senior Willie Miklus sent the Cyclones into the locker room with a 16-4 lead. Miklus took Cordel Eaton down twice before turning him for the first-period fall in 2:53.

Following the break, redshirt sophomore Gannon Gremmel kept Iowa State on track. It was a rematch from the UWW Junior National Freestyle finals as Gremmel took on Brandon Metz. Gremmel scored a takedown, earned two back points and rode for 1:55 in a 7-3 win over the Bison.

Redshirt freshman Austin Gomez found himself in another exciting match at 133 pounds. He squared off with NDSU's No. 18 CamSykora. After the first period, Gomez held a 4-1 advantage. Sykora then turned Gomez for four points in the second to take a 5-4 lead heading to the final frame. Sykora earned an escape to begin the third, but Gomez secured a takedown and held Sykora on the mat to force sudden victory. It took Gomez just eight seconds in the extra period to take Sykora down and win the match, 8-6.

Making his Iowa State dual debut, redshirt freshman Ryan Leisure was locked in a tight battle with Sawyer Degen, the younger brother of Iowa State 149-pounder Jarrett Degen. Leisure scored two takedowns and two reversals while holding off a late effort from S. Degento win the match 8-7.

To close out the dual, redshirt sophomore Jarrett Degen put on a takedown clinic. He racked up seven total takedowns in a 16-5 major decision over Jaden Van Maanen to put the exclamation point on a dominant Cyclone victory.

Next Up
The Cyclones return home on Sunday, Jan 13 at 2 p.m. to take on Fresno State in Hilton Coliseum. The dual will be available through Cyclones.TV and FloWrestling.

Match-By-Match Results
157: Chase Straw (ISU) maj. dec. Nick Knutson (NDSU), 17-8 (3:34 RT).
165: Andrew Fogarty (NDSU) maj. dec. Logan Schumacher (ISU), 11-0.
174: Marcus Coleman (ISU) dec. Lorenzo De La Riva (NDSU), 8-7.
184: Sam Colbray (ISU) dec. Michael Otomo (NDSU), 10-3 (2:31 RT).
197: Willie Miklus (ISU) fall Cordell Eaton (NDSU), 2:53.
285: Gannon Gremmel (ISU) dec. Brandon Metz (NDSU), 7-3 (1:55 RT).
125: Brent Fleetwood (NDSU) dec. Alex Mackall (ISU), 4-2 (SV-1).
133: Austin Gomez (ISU) dec. Cam Sykora (NDSU), 8-6 (SV-1).
141: Ryan Leisure (ISU) dec. Sawyer Degen (NDSU), 8-7.
149: Jarrett Degen (ISU) maj. dec. Jaden Van Maanen (NDSU), 16-5 (1:18 RT).

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
What's a fair timeline on being in the elite tier of wrestling? To me it seems like this is ahead of schedule but I don't know a lot or follow much beyond results.

I would say that we could be contending for a trophy in 2021 (optimistic) or 2022 (more realistic) assuming recruiting continues at the rate is has been (with a chance to get better with improved results). I think top 20 this year is a good goal, followed by top 15 to maybe top 10 in 2020 in Minneapolis. Then, in 2021 the roster looks real good (not accounting transfers in/out and also making big assumption #1 overall 2020 recruit signs):

125: Mackall (Sr), Reeves (rFR), Russian (not sure on classification)
133: Gomez (Jr), Reeves (rFR), Russian
141: Parker (Sr), Anderson (rFR), Gomez (Jr)
149: Degen (Sr), Parker (Sr), Leisure (Jr), Anderson (rFR)
157: Carr (So)
165: Facundo (true FR- hopeful :))
174: Coleman (Jr)
184: Shapiro (So), Colbray (Sr), Broderson (rFR)
197: Colbray (Sr), Shapiro (So), Broderson (rFR)
Hwt: Duggan (So), Gremmel (Sr), Anderson (Sr)

Lot of talent in that lineup and I think we have a chance to have a very good 2020 recruiting class that could add to this.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Just watched the dual. Dang, I wish Mackall can get one of those big wins.

Glad Dresser's brick challenge in Leisure's match didn't cost Ryan his win. Ryan did look gassed in the 3rd.

Nice win by Gremmel.

Liked how aggressive we continue to be. Colbray didn't look like a guy that had his weight out of control.

Sykora is tough on top. He beat Simmons 19-4 last year and beat Parker 16-0 2 years ago.

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
He let almost everyone go last year except Parker and Straw (I'm not counting the redshirt class) and maybe he just wanted guys with the right attitude, in spite of what talent they had (and we lost some good ones). I've been a bit surprised by the huge turnaround but it's been a good surprise and I maybe it's the culture as you say.

One guy that stuck around that sort of epitomizes this change is Colbray. Gotta admit there were many times last year I just didn't think it was ever going to click for him. To have him suck down to 184 AND wrestle as aggressively as he has been is nothing short of amazing. Props to Sam and the coaches!

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
One guy that stuck around that sort of epitomizes this change is Colbray. Gotta admit there were many times last year I just didn't think it was ever going to click for him. To have him suck down to 184 AND wrestle as aggressively as he has been is nothing short of amazing. Props to Sam and the coaches!
The talent for Colbray was always there. It is the little things like weight control and conditioning that have limited his effectiveness. He could be a great surprise at nationals.

• Agree
Reactions: VirginSturgeon

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Just watched the dual. Dang, I wish Mackall can get one of those big wins.

Glad Dresser's brick challenge in Leisure's match didn't cost Ryan his win. Ryan did look gassed in the 3rd.

Nice win by Gremmel.

Liked how aggressive we continue to be. Colbray didn't look like a guy that had his weight out of control.

Sykora is tough on top. He beat Simmons 19-4 last year and beat Parker 16-0 2 years ago.

Ryan could have gotten gassed from nerves on first start. See what it’s like if he starts another time or two.

• Agree
Reactions: buf87

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Ryan could have gotten gassed from nerves on first start. See what it’s like if he starts another time or two.

Agree. I am glad he got the start. I believe 141 is a pretty big cut for him too. I figured it was a isolated incident, because he hadn't gassed in previous matches.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
Hats off to the team on this good outing. Can't wait to see everyone Sunday at 2PM!

VirginSturgeon

Sep 13, 2017
Agree. I am glad he got the start. I believe 141 is a pretty big cut for him too. I figured it was a isolated incident, because he hadn't gassed in previous matches.
Be nice for Parker to stay healthy to get some matches in against Big 12 competition. Hope he is ready to go soon.