North Dakota State line up

cywr89

May 14, 2009
I would say that we could be contending for a trophy in 2021 (optimistic) or 2022 (more realistic) assuming recruiting continues at the rate is has been (with a chance to get better with improved results). I think top 20 this year is a good goal, followed by top 15 to maybe top 10 in 2020 in Minneapolis. Then, in 2021 the roster looks real good (not accounting transfers in/out and also making big assumption #1 overall 2020 recruit signs):

125: Mackall (Sr), Reeves (rFR), Russian (not sure on classification)
133: Gomez (Jr), Reeves (rFR), Russian
141: Parker (Sr), Anderson (rFR), Gomez (Jr)
149: Degen (Sr), Parker (Sr), Leisure (Jr), Anderson (rFR)
157: Carr (So)
165: Facundo (true FR- hopeful :))
174: Coleman (Jr)
184: Shapiro (So), Colbray (Sr), Broderson (rFR)
197: Colbray (Sr), Shapiro (So), Broderson (rFR)
Hwt: Duggan (So), Gremmel (Sr), Anderson (Sr)

Lot of talent in that lineup and I think we have a chance to have a very good 2020 recruiting class that could add to this.
Too bad Facundo will be a Sr. I’m HS. Top 20...keep selling this team short. Lose a controversial meet with a full line-up IA team and they are talking about a Championship or at least Top 3 and ISU is talking about hopefully Top 20...Something doesn’t add up. I’m not talking Top 5 but there is no reason they can’t be a lot higher than 20th with the improvement they are making weekly. No doubt the future looks bright but there are a lot of opportunities for this team this year!

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
Too bad Facundo will be a Sr. I’m HS. Top 20...keep selling this team short. Lose a controversial meet with a full line-up IA team and they are talking about a Championship or at least Top 3 and ISU is talking about hopefully Top 20...Something doesn’t add up. I’m not talking Top 5 but there is no reason they can’t be a lot higher than 20th with the improvement they are making weekly. No doubt the future looks bright but there are a lot of opportunities for this team this year!

Damn you’re right about Facundo. I think this team is a better dual team than tournament team, but I would still say top 20 would be a successful year. Top 15 and I would be chugging the kool Aid with how young we are. I don’t think top 10 is reasonable to expect this year, but I will gladly eat crow if that happens!

Reactions: Htowncyfan

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
That would be the difference between dual scoring and NCAA tournament scoring.

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
Love your optimism but I'll be happy with a top 20 finish, pumped about top 15, and over the ******* moon if we hit top 10. Anything is possible but top 20 is way more realistic than top 10.

Boxer007

Aug 15, 2012
For comparison Lehigh finished 15th last year with 36.5 points. They sent 10 to the tourney. 5 made it to the quarters and I think only Cruz made it to semis. They finished with 3 AAs. 5th, 6th and 7th (I think). That would be quite an accomplishment for this ISU team.

VirginSturgeon

Sep 13, 2017
For comparison Lehigh finished 15th last year with 36.5 points. They sent 10 to the tourney. 5 made it to the quarters and I think only Cruz made it to semis. They finished with 3 AAs. 5th, 6th and 7th (I think). That would be quite an accomplishment for this ISU team.
This is a very good comparison. I do not see 5 Cyclone wrestlers making it to the quarterfinals. I would be happy with 3 and could see a 4th make it, pending their draw at the NCAA's. It is just nice to have a good dual team and something to cheer for as the men bring it every meet.

Help Support Us

Become a patron