COLUMN: Where to go w/o Wiggy? Analyzing ISU's convincing win over Mizzou

Jiub

Nov 11, 2015
Des Moines
We all know Missouri was weak without Porter. This win was a gimme.

With that being said since Wigginton is injured just free up Lard. Remember in the good old days in Ames when we had the Burger King on Lincoln Way getting robbed? What Cam did was nothing

Last edited:

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
Jacobson had one move that really opened my eyes. He caught it on the perimeter and aggressively attacked and backed down Tilmon and finished with a beautiful right hand jump hook. It was a move you really don’t even see Lard complete that often. Love this guy so far. Even with Lard back on the team (when that happens), I’m not sure Jacobson loses his starting spot.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
We all know Missouri was weak without Porter. This win was a gimme.

With that being said since Wigginton is injured just free up Lard. Remember in the good old days in Ames when we had a beheading and the burger king on Lincoln Way getting robbed? What Cam did was nothing

I remember the Burger King robbery like it was yesterday...lol..and he played still after that..haha. Crazy.

Sure Mizzou isnt great but we were missing 4 of our top 8 players and won by nearly 20..I mean come on that is kinda ridiculous.

Keep in mind this Mizzou team minus Porter beat mighty Iowa in its scrimmage by like 15 pts or so? Granted it was a scrimmage but still.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
From sounds of Prohm wouldn’t u say LW being out a month seems to be at most? I mean if its not broken and no fracture i wouldn’t thionk he would be out longer than 4 weeks.. Keeping him off of it and mobilized for 2 weeks is really smart..

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Playing time so far this season...

View attachment 59803

Nick is back to being Nick in playing virtually every minute.

Tyrese played all 40 minutes tonight.

Hopefully when we’re back to full strength, we can dial that back to about 30. Don’t want to wear him out again, because he makes us go.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Hopefully when we’re back to full strength, we can dial that back to about 30. Don’t want to wear him out again, because he makes us go.

The way Haliburton has played, he'll demand minutes,some of those could help ease NWB's burden. I see a lot of similarities in their game. Tyrese is going to be a stat stuffer.

greatshu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2007
KS
All of freshmen played really hard on both offensively and defensively. Effort beats talent.

We were ridiculously good defensively. I cannot remember the last time we played like that defensively. I just felt like they knew exactly when to switch and double down on someone.

Excellent team effort. I really didn't see this coming though.

Reactions: cyfamily

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Missouri's offense was sloppier than a typical freshman's experience with jungle juice. To say ISU had a hand in all 25 turnovers is a clear exaggeration. Turnovers are a terrible barometer of how to measure a defense. Missouri is a middling to basement dwelling SEC squad without Jontay Porter.

ISU routed them playing only two guys who on the roster last year. A good p5 team should beat a team like that by 20. If this were a nail biter I could see your point but they were in control of this game for the last 25-30 minutes.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Missing 4 people who are important by the team and still winning by almost 20. Good enough foe me for the 2nd game of the season. When I heard Wiggi was out I was hoping to win in a nail biter.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Missouri's offense was sloppier than a typical freshman's experience with jungle juice. To say ISU had a hand in all 25 turnovers is a clear exaggeration. Turnovers are a terrible barometer of how to measure a defense. Missouri is a middling to basement dwelling SEC squad without Jontay Porter.

Have you not heard that we didn't suit up 4 of our top 8 rotation? Good grief, give these ISU players some credit for stepping up and beating a P5 team by double digits.

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL
I have been going to Iowa State games for a long time. Tonight I am back from Florida for a MBB and football combo weekend.

Watching the game tonight reminds me of the first game in 1996 when Tim Floyd debuted the Willoughby, Cato, Pratt and Bankhead class and I simply thought, these guys are good! I feel the same way about our 4 freshman after tonight.

This could really be a lot of fun for the next few years!

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Now that I've had a few post game beers to dial in my focus, I'll share my observations.

I will disagree that the crowd was nuts. Ok but not great for an old rival. I could be letting the fact that my section stunk like a rotten ass from the pipe burst sour my view of the game.

Anyway, Holy Haliburton is my takeaway from the game. I don't think I've seen an ISU freshman with a feel for the game on both ends of the floor like him. Kid is special and one of those guys that just has "it".

Just like last year, with a healthy NWB at point this is a good team.

I don't see Jacobsen coming out of the starting lineup.

This team can defend and plays hard on both ends. The freshmen know how to play defense.

NWB and Shayok were patient and got good shots all night. In fact ISU as whole got good shots all night just struggled early to knock them down.

• Funny
Reactions: sadam and heitclone

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
Okay let’s be honest, how often does a team have a hand in every single turnover? Probably never. They were active on defense, took some charges, got steals, who cares if every single turnover was caused by us and not simply just Missouri making a mistake? It could have been more than 25 as well. They got away with a couple non-travel calls and a couple should have been charges.

cdface

Oct 28, 2014
Behind Enemy Lines (IC)
Okay let’s be honest, how often does a team have a hand in every single turnover? Probably never. They were active on defense, took some charges, got steals, who cares if every single turnover was caused by us and not simply just Missouri making a mistake? It could have been more than 25 as well. They got away with a couple non-travel calls and a couple should have been charges.

I agree. While the aggressiveness did give up some open 3 looks, and they hit a decent number of them, I thought it was overall the best defensive performance I've seen since...I don't even know when? Floyd/Eustachy days, I suppose? In terms of effort, being active, and being in position throughout the game -- just overall being disruptive -- it was pretty amazing. All that is evident from the eye test, IMHO, regardless of the number of steals or turnovers. Their length really helps cover-up some of the inadequacies that they do show, which can't be overlooked when you're dealing with so much youth.

Probably the weakest area would be rebounding on both sides, but that's coachable considering the effort they've shown themselves capable of.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron