Observations from our win over the Kliff Notes

Observations from Our Win Over the Kliff Notes (multiple choice)

• Total voters

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
Talk about a nerve wrecking game! I was worried the whole time. I will admit tthat TT's defense is actually pretty good and gave our guys plenty of trouble. We really gutted this one out and that is a huge improvement over previous years when we would have lost a game like this. Anyway, the poll has my favorite observations along with a few more here which missed the cut:

-Special teams have been "special" two weeks in a row.
-Can we have Francis try kicking field goals? He could probably make them from 60+
-Watching the Tech players doing that weird dance during kickoffs made me think theme song for Robin Hood: Men in Tights
-I think those consistent late hits on Purdy were ordered by the "Don" Kliff Kingsbury.
-Charlie Kolar is a gamer. That's all.
-And with that Pick 6, Marcel Spears becomes the NEW Intercontinental Turnover Champion of the World!
-Confetti on the camera? What kind of second rate operation is ESPN running here?
-Cough drops, eye drops, lemon drops, bass drops, ti**y drops > dropped passes.
-If Marcel Spears played for Texas Tech he would easily be their most prolific receiver. He seems to catch everything they throw in his direction.
-"The Push" - I'm sure TT fans will be talking about that no-call on Butler's TD all year long. **** 'em.
-Purdy to Butler for that game winning touchdown erases any mistakes those two made earlier in the game.
-Eisworth sealing the win and by reclaiming the turnover belt.

Feel free to share some of your own observations.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Good list. My observations from the game:

-Oline took a step back (penalties, run blocking, pass blocking below average). Tech’s D is decent but not as good as we made their front 4 look.
-1st down play calling sucked. We literally ran the same play 80% of the time. After that, I thought Campbell called a great game.
-Fair catching “strategy”...yuck.
-I was hoping the student section would start mimicking that stupid kickoff dance thing.
-This team is so resilient, they don’t let anything bother them. Previous ISU teams pack up shop after the blocked punt or strip fumble TD.
-Love Purdy’s confidence in receivers to go make plays. I like Kempt but no way does he make half of the throws Purdy does.
-Crowd, while not as into it as WV (top 5 JTS crowd IMO) was really good. Spears pick 6 was peak.
-No more 11am games please

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
The uninformed viewer reading your poll would think we lost yesterday, not won by two scores, but that was the kind of game it was yesterday. Nice to win a game we would not have won in past years because past teams didn't have the fortitude to win a game like that.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Did anyone else notice the student section tying up rally towels? There were a couple of segments hanging from the upper to lower deck.

Yeah, I was payong more attention to that than the game for awhile. I was hoping they would do something cool with them

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
The uninformed viewer reading your poll would think we lost yesterday, not won by two scores, but that was the kind of game it was yesterday. Nice to win a game we would not have won in past years because past teams didn't have the fortitude to win a game like that.
It’s a great sign of how far we’ve come in such a short time.

Maybe I have too much optimism in this team, but that game felt similar to the Akron game. A little rusty and stubbornly trying to be conservative, but if we’d get out of our way it would be a comfortable win.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Special teams have been the issue in one way or another three weeks running.

OSU got a short TD because of a lack of poison call on a punt return.

With special teams being solid this team's last several games coukd have been more like 48-28, 30-7, and 41-20.

Other factors contribute but the defense can get a bad name when all of those points show up.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Special teams have been the issue in one way or another three weeks running.

OSU got a short TD because of a lack of poison call on a punt return.

With special teams being solid this team's last several games coukd have been more like 48-28, 30-7, and 41-20.

Other factors contribute but the defense can get a bad name when all of those points show up.
So we’d have been more 3-0 instead of just 3-0?

;)

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Love Joel Klatt, but in his game he said Iowa State won by one score. Colorado math.

B787

Hates Money
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2018
-Can we have Francis try kicking field goals? He could probably make them from 60+

Just curious, what makes you think this? 60+ is a huge milestone for almost all NFL kickers. I’d take it if he could give us a 40 yard FG.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Just curious, what makes you think this? 60+ is a huge milestone for almost all NFL kickers. I’d take it if he could give us a 40 yard FG.

It's not just a milestone, the all-time NFL record is something like 64 yards. And it's not just a matter of leg strength, but it's also got to go through the uprights. And then the longer the kick, the lower the kick trajectory, which means it's easier to block it...

Anyway, it's why when you start getting into the upper 50 yards for a FG attempt, even pro teams witll opt to punt it, because so many things can go wrong with longer kicks.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
The only game I’ve seen with:
- three interceptions and...
- a punt blocked for a touchdown and...
- QB fumble for defensive touchdown and...
- INT returned for a touchdown and...
- a safety
That’s a lot of defensive points.

Thought all of the play calling was as predictable and vanilla as it comes. Don’t remember a single RPO play all day.

Wish the defense was turned loose more throughout the game. Whatever strategy employed in the last drive before halftime on defense should be burnt and never used again.

Give Klinger Credit...his offense does some entertaining stuff.

Last edited:

83cy

May 14, 2006
Thought all of the play calling was as predictable and vanilla as it comes.

Give Klinger Credit...his offense does some entertaining stuff.

Agree DM up the middle 30+ times was not working. I don't get it, DM is about impossible to tackle in space yet ISU doesn't run him outside on pitches or throw to him coming out of the backfield (rarely) need to start.